User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    epic

Default crying during movies

what causes it for you? what movie has made you cry and why?

MBTI
    INFP

I cry at movies all the time. Public Enemies, The Lake House, you name it.

Why not? It feels so good to get into the romance.

MBTI
    infp

Hmm, I remember crying while watching The Green mile, The gladiator, Fried green tomatoes, Pay it forward, The pursuit of happiness,...

Probably a combination of a certain scene+ the right background music(+sympathy for the character)=me being moved.
    .:"Claude os, aperi oculos.":.

"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless, you have to hope even harder and cover your ears and go 'lalalalalalala'"- Fry (Futurama)

Phantonym

I guess it's just a combination of circumstances; being in the right place at the right time; being in a certain vulnerable state of mind where the events and emotions the characters go through start influencing me to such an extent that I enter the kind of space where there's only me and the movie, nothing else exists around me for the duration of the movie.

I don't become one specific character, I feel that I'm an invisible observer, able to experience the emotions of every character and the dynamic between the characters and sort of live through their experiences and every possible emotion they portray on the screen.

It's an emotional rollercoaster and it's not about the sadness of the movie or happy endings, and I certainly don't cry during every sappy movie out there. As I said, it has to be a combination of things to get me to that point where the emotions just become too much to keep them inside and it doesn't happen very often.

Mar Adentro and Dancer in the Dark come to mind at the moment. There are others, of course, but these two have stuck with me for years now. The helplessness and injustice the main characters had to go through and the emotions that accompany all that just create this tension that I can't avoid during watching them and it has to find its release one way or the other. Crying helps.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I cried during a movie once... it was Stand By Me and I was watching it with my closest high school friends before we all headed off our different ways for college

Though I've got to admit that What Dreams May Come and Requiem for a Dream made me feel like playing in traffic after watching them :steam:

My ENFJ sister cries at happy movies because they're "touching" I've never understood that rationale... if it's happy aren't you supposed to smile?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I was never really one to cry during movies, but now I'm finding myself doing it more frequently than ever. I've always gotten teary eyed during tv shows like Extreme Home Makeover, and other programs where people experiencing severe hardship get the pleasant surprise of a lifetime. There's something about seeing the ideal of human altruism and potential manifest itself in real life, and I find those types of things especially moving. The movie Up really had me going, and The Last House on the Left disturbed me to tears.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Oberon

There are a few specific scenes that will do it for me.

One is in The Patriot, where Benjamin Martin is getting ready to ride off to war one more time, and his youngest daughter, who hasn't spoken since her mother died, is watching him go... suddenly she breaks away from her aunt and runs after him, saying "Papa! Papa, don't go, I'll say anything! Please, papa, I'll say anything you want!"

The other is a scene in Shadowlands in which an almost uncannily reserved Anthony Hopkins, having been through the terrible lengthy ordeal of his wife's painful death from bone cancer, just loses it... and I mean loses it.

I tear up again just thinking of the scenes, even though I know outright that I'm being manipulated. Doesn't matter, it still works.

Senior Member tastes_like_purple's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram

I never cry when watching movies...appart from when Mufasa died in The Lion King

But I cry while reading sad books, I get too into them
    A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes,
    I screamed aloud, as it tore through them,
    and now it's left me blind...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Simon Burch. I don't know if I was just feeling unusually tired and emotional, but I bawled.

Senior Member tastes_like_purple's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Simon Burch. I don't know if I was just feeling unusually tired and emotional, but I bawled.
    OMG, we watched that in religion class. It was heartbreaking
    A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes,
    I screamed aloud, as it tore through them,
    and now it's left me blind...