User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Disabling Visitor Messages

I've noticed some people who used to have vistor messages can now only be contacted through PM. I've always wondered why. Is it that they are worried about what might appear on their wall?

For me, I often plan to contact those people with a brief message or comment, but when the wall option isn't there, I don't get around to bothering. What about the rest of you?
    Last edited by fidelia; 04-03-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: awkward title

MBTI
    INFP

I come from an alternate universe where the question is "why?" rather than "why not?".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Because it makes it easier for people contact you. Unless of course that's what you're trying to discourage. I just get excited at getting messages from anyone, that's all.

I especially wonder why though if it was a good idea for a while, what changed people's minds about it. Maybe there's something important I haven't considered...

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I wonder too. I use PM for more personal conversations, and I feel somewhat off sending a simple "hello" to someone via PM simply because I can't wall post. Having to talk to someone via PM makes the interaction feel a bit more personal than is intended or perhaps desired. Awkward.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Because it makes it easier for people contact you. Unless of course that's what you're trying to discourage.
    That is precisely the reason!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

If somebody has no wall space and I have something to say, then it most likely does not get said (unless it's really important, in which case I PM them).

I think some people don't have it because they simply don't want to invest the time in constructing any semblance of personal relationships with other members of this forum. And then others don't have it because they value privacy in one-on-one conversations, so they only leave room for them in PM. In the latter scenario, these people are missing out, as I'm sure that they don't get as much attention from other members as they would if the wall was available, even if they are open to one-on-one conversations.

And then of course there's those whose walls don't become available until they make friends with a person, which is understandable and probably the best way to go about ensuring some privacy in one-on-one conversations while not completely eliminating the ease of them.

Honestly, I get rather frustrated when the wall option isn't available. It's a great way to close the door to insight, personal commentary, or just general conversational merriment. Meh, oh well...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yes! You understand. It's kind of like phoning someone up for a 1 minute conversation.

"Oh hello EnFpFer? I just wanted to tell you that you looked nice today and I like that dress. Well, that's about it....so, goodbye".

MBTI
    INFP

When I have something to say, I will rep or I will PM. Walls are extra. Turning extra away shouldn't be questioned so heavily.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Wait, so disregard, you are trying to discourage people from talking to you, yet you are going to a forum to talk? Or are you just trying to discourage weird/annoying people from talking to you?

Edit: You just posted. Not questioning heavily - just curious. I'm interested in different people's perceptions.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post

I especially wonder why though if it was a good idea for a while, what changed people's minds about it. Maybe there's something important I haven't considered...
    Maybe it's similar to the privacy that we desire on other social networks.

I know that if my boss, professor, or other authority figure was lingering around TypeC, I wouldn't always want him/her to have access to my personal conversations (especially if some conversation spirals into a topic about the authority figure in question). I'm just not paranoid enough to really do anything to prevent this from happening though.