User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    You are being naive.

it depends on who has access to your computer, the places you log in here at and computer history. Whether or not you've talked about this message board to people or if you've linked to it online in places connected to your real name. Or if your screen name is very similar to email addys you use that the people in your life know about.

I know a wife who found her husband's secret screen name just by knowing the basic format he liked to chose screen names and she kept plugging those into Yahoo and trying his passwords and she got into his secret email account. Unfortunately for him he was using the account to contact a former OW.

Like say you have a friend who loves to root out personal info on others and your yahoo addy is Skyisblue2006 and she knows you're into MBTI and she knows you go on about being that INFJ thing or whatever, it takes her very little effort to type variations of "Sky Blue MBTI" into a search engine.

Even when you delete something, Google has a cache that stays up for several days, depending on when they took the snapshot of the page: Astrology, MBTI, enneagram correlation - Page 3 - Typology Central
    why it's best to have the world's most bland username

and better yet, I have a different username for every different place I am online! my e-mail is my real name, and anywhere else I use various nicknames
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

the whole thing just freaks me out! it's like someone eavesdropping on the phone...i don't even like to talk on the phone around people usually.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I know a wife who found her husband's secret screen name just by knowing the basic format he liked to chose screen names and she kept plugging those into Yahoo and trying his passwords and she got into his secret email account. Unfortunately for him he was using the account to contact a former OW.
    What is a "former OW?"

While I'm at it, what is a "wall message space?" This topic is confusing.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    What is a "former OW?"

While I'm at it, what is a "wall message space?" This topic is confusing.

Other Woman

The whole bunch of notes from Halla you see when you click your public profile? Wall message space.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Here I have my wall turned on, elsewhere I recently turned it off.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Because it makes it easier for people contact you. Unless of course that's what you're trying to discourage. I just get excited at getting messages from anyone, that's all.
    I kinda am. I enjoy getting messages from other people however it can become something like a chore because if I don't reply straight away I tend to forget then I feel bad about ignoring someone, I'm not in the best of head spaces atm so that can bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    If somebody has no wall space and I have something to say, then it most likely does not get said (unless it's really important, in which case I PM them).
    That's part of why I've done it elsewhere.

I think some people don't have it because they simply don't want to invest the time in constructing any semblance of personal relationships with other members of this forum. And then others don't have it because they value privacy in one-on-one conversations, so they only leave room for them in PM.
    That however is not the case for me, one of the key parts for me is actually quite the opposite of that suggestion, I do and have invested time in constructing relationships and I actually enjoy the social aspects of most forums I frequent more than anything else, I just don't delude myself into thinking they are anything more than they are, people on the internet who unless we are connected elsewhere are strangers that I'm passing at this point of my life, at some point they will leave or I will leave and wall conversations will hold no significance.

In order for them to count I need to get to know them and preferably have alternate forms of contact. I crave two things in relationships 1. Newness, n00bs are great, I love meeting someone I've never met before and 2. Progress and change, I need relationships to strengthen over time, the best environment to do that in is PMs where you can really get to know someone. This doesn't mean that anyone I don't get to know via PM isn't someone I consider a friend, or that I mind having deeper conversations via walls, wall messages just don't encourage that.

Out of curiosity, are you sp/so?
    How is that relevant? *genuine curiosity cause I think I am*

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    Some people are just more private or prefer less light conversation than others. I'm very public so there isn't much i wouldn't discuss through walls, unless it is excessive or decently personal. Text-walls are for pms
    I understand that is an easy suggestion to come to, and maybe that's the situation for some but I'm one of the silliest people I know and I have no shame in revealing too much even when I prolly shouldn't. I'm also more interested in the social aspect of a forum over the debating 'n stuff. The reasons aren't always that simple

On the forum where I have my wall turned off I've received numerous PMs from noobs not long after they've been there (iunno, I'm approachable or something *shrug*) which I have absolutely no problems with (I really do love meeting new people), I found my wall was used more for fluffy conversation with people I've already built a cyber relationship with, I can continue to bother them in their blogs, those who didn't know me tend to use PM anyway so I've not lost fluffy conversations nor have I lost the ability to connect with new people.

Phantonym

You are being naive.

it depends on who has access to your computer, the places you log in here at and computer history. Whether or not you've talked about this message board to people or if you've linked to it online in places connected to your real name. Or if your screen name is very similar to email addys you use that the people in your life know about.

Like say you have a friend who loves to root out personal info on others and your yahoo addy is Skyisblue2006 and she knows you're into MBTI and she knows you go on about being that INFJ thing or whatever, it takes her very little effort to type variations of "Sky Blue MBTI" into a search engine.

Even when you delete something, Google has a cache that stays up for several days, depending on when they took the snapshot of the page: Astrology, MBTI, enneagram correlation - Page 3 - Typology Central
    All of this would be deeply disturbing if I said anything on this forum that I wouldn't say anywhere else, publicly.

Besides...if you were that paranoid about people in your life finding out things you don't want them to find out and what you're doing online...having a user name connected to your real name and sharing your similar e-mail...REALLY!?!? People are creatures of habit but that's just plain stupid. If you're paranoid, you better be well prepared.

This would also make me wonder why would there be such a deep need for privacy and secrecy and what kind of underlying problems people are trying to cover up...

Ya'll paranoid people better delete your PM's ASAP...who knows when somebody will hack into your account...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Ya'll paranoid people better delete your PM's ASAP...who knows when somebody will hack into your account...
    Shit! I'm on it.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

On another note, Sky is BLUE! is not being naive, she's being realistic.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't like it when people leave me a comment and when I go to reply they do not have a wall box to post in.

what is your problem people

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Ok so your point is that you want your friends spamming your wall? Is this what I should be taking from this thread?
    I don't know; I didn't start the thread.

I just wanted more control over what was on my Wall.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft