User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Ah, but if there's no post, then what are you giving to them two cents for?
    Perhaps you have enjoyed several of their posts, or just their style in general.

Perhaps you have some history with them, and something current reminds you of a past conversation, so you want to resurface it.

Perhaps you've realized that they are well-educated in a field, and have a few questions to ask them but want to keep the conversation light-hearted and casual.

Perhaps there is a thread that you really want them to see.

Perhaps you like their avatar, user name, sig, etc.

There are a whole slew of reasons why we might want to contact somebody, outside of responding to their insight given by a specific thread/post.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Jenny's too popular. I'm afraid that even then you will continue to be inundated. Such is your fate.

What? Even PMs, disregard? And you've been on here a long time, haven't you? I can imagine doing this as an exercise or to stimulate your own thinking for awhile, but after a bit I think I'd just have to give in and want to start getting to know some of the people more personally. My ex-bf used to be able to go days without bothering to open his emails or personal letters. I could barely get out of the post office before ripping open a parcel or letter before I got to the car. I guess I just have this thing about getting any kind of mail, so it's just hard for me to imagine actually discouraging it, unless it had proved to be a negative experience in the past! I'm not giving you a hard time.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Perhaps you have enjoyed several of their posts, or just their style in general.

Perhaps you have some history with them, and something current reminds you of a past conversation, so you want to resurface it.

Perhaps you've realized that they are well-educated in a field, and have a few questions to ask them but want to keep the conversation light-hearted and casual.

Perhaps there is a thread that you really want them to see.

Perhaps you like their avatar, user name, sig, etc.

There are a whole slew of reasons why we might want to contact somebody, outside of responding to their insight given by a specific thread/post.
    I think the very presence of the wall has made PMs seem too forward.

Like texts have made calling seem too forward.

And facebook has made texting seem too forward.

I have PMed and repped for all of those instances before the wall arrived at this forum, so I don't see it as awkward or intrusive.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    What? Even PMs, disregard? And you've been on here a long time, haven't you? I can imagine doing this as an exercise or to stimulate your own thinking for awhile, but after a bit I think I'd just have to give in and want to start getting to know some of the people more personally. My ex-bf used to be able to go days without bothering to open his emails or personal letters. I could barely get out of the post office before ripping open a parcel or letter before I got to the car. I guess I just have this thing about getting any kind of mail, so it's just hard for me to imagine actually discouraging it, unless it had proved to be a negative experience in the past! I'm not giving you a hard time.
    It has proved to be a negative experience. Getting unwanted wall posts and PMs from people.

Not all were unwanted, mind you. But it was just so much easier to turn it off than to deal with it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't know... getting a wall text from someone with no wall is just as creepy as having someone invisible see that you're seeing who's online...

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I don't know... getting a wall text from someone with no wall is just as creepy as having someone invisible see that you're seeing who's online...

And if you opt out of the wall, your problem of getting creeped out is solved.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I think the very presence of the wall has made PMs seem too forward.

Like texts have made calling seem too forward.

And facebook has made text seem too forward.

I have PMed and repped for all of those instances before the wall arrived at this forum, so I don't see it as awkward or intrusive.
    Fair enough. I guess I just don't see the problem in texting rather than calling (or facebooking rather than texting) if what you have to say is casual and not time-sensitive.

It seems like you just wish to uphold the integrity of PMs that battle with other methods of more convenient methods of communication, simply because you value a certain level of intimacy.

But the fact that there is an easier and more casual way to contact people does indeed contrast with the other less convenient methods, making the latter seem more "serious", if you will (whether we like it or not).

Times change dahlin'...

But to each his own.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh no! I'd miss out of WAY too many good conversations! :horor:

just getting you back there
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    oh no! I'd miss out of WAY too many good conversations! :horor:
    A sacrifice you aren't willing to make, but I am.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

A sacrifice you aren't willing to make, but I am.
    Out of curiosity, are you sp/so?