User Tag List

First 1234 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post

When I was doing a job which involve surveying the interests of the population, I go up and ask people some random questions. Some people avoided me like a plague because they don't want to talk or have anything to do with strangers. I do not understand y some people are likethat.
    I feel like this is what you were getting at with your post, so I'll respond to that part of it.

I really think that a lot of this is simply people having far, far better things to do with their time than take an unsolicited survey - and usually, the people who run up to you like that are trying to sell you something, so even worse. I avoid those people like the plague because I don't enjoy being lectured to about a product or idea. I wouldn't enjoy a survey either.

It has nothing to do with a fear of strangers and everything to do with complete disinterest in being harassed without invitation.

I also have some degree of social anxiety which means that I'm highly uncomfortable chit-chatting with random strangers. But not because I think they're going to murder me or something. I think you're seeing the behaviour but misinterpreting the underlying causes.
    -end of thread-

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Are you distrustful of strangers?
    Do you always put your guard up when someone you don't know talks to you?
    Do you always put up a shield when you are with people you don't know and forced to corperate with them?
    Do you have problem communicating with people you don't know?

No. Well, in a way I have some shield up, but it is not more than if I am talking to an acquaintance. I'm not an open book, but that doesn't mean that I am afraid of others by default. I don't see the world as a dangerous place.

These barriers that exist between humans in adulthood did not exist when we are in school.
    Actually, in school I was trying to keep my distance as I was quite shy, but that only encourages the other kids to pick on you. I think it doesn't change as you grow up. The predators smell the fear.

It seems in modern day society we only care about ourselves and our self-interests, and not give a damn about the other people's problems and suffering. All because we distrust each other and view other human beings as dangerous.

If we are alientated and distrust each other, how can we hope to survive as a species?
    People lost a sense of community, they don't trust other people, and only cared about themselves in a society driven by greed.
    I think that community is based on individual relationships. In a small village this works as long as everyone is co-dependent. It's not that the sense of community died, the community did.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    My impression is that humanity has a deep underlying insecurity resulting from their own physical vulnerabilities compared with other creatures, combined with a sense of insignificance in the mass of people. Because of these two overwhelming features, people tend to have power and control issues combined with an easy tendency to de-humanize one another. There is a tendency to overcompensate for power in much the same way a Pomeranian will bare its teeth and go nuts in a feeble attempt to frighten off strangers. While this doesn't instill fear, it becomes more of a problem when one is also a Pomeranian.
    This seems to be the case... I like dogs, I usually approach them without thinking that they might bite my arm off. But I never go near a dog that seems frightened, because they are the dangerous ones. With people this is not so obvious, but it is there. The more people are scared the more they make other people scared. It's a cycle.

Oberon

I firmly believe that:

1. The world is in fact a dangerous place, and
    2. The vast majority of people are completely harmless.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

The world is a dangerous place, but not because of people whatsoever. It's the ideas that make the world dangerous.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Don't peple have something to do with ideas?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

People may have ideas, but under the assumption that everybody is living off a degree of insecurity, any way, it rests the case for everybody's ideas because the ideas are dependent upon one's proof of action on those ideas - thereby we live off the 'rules', which creates relative security for all. It's a basic principle.

MBTI
    ISTx

Are you distrustful of strangers?
    Yes.
    Do you always put your guard up when someone you don't know talks to you?
    Mostly, yes. Depends on the nature of the encounter.

Do you always put up a shield when you are with people you don't know and forced to cooperate with them?
    Yep. Trust is earned.

Do you have problem communicating with people you don't know? I have no problem talking to strangers and people I don't know, in the real world. After all, they are humans just like us.
    I wouldn't say there's a communication problem, it's pretty surface though.

When I was doing a job which involve surveying the interests of the population, I go up and ask people some random questions. Some people avoided me like a plague because they don't want to talk or have anything to do with strangers. I do not understand y some people are like that.
    I guess people are wary of one's motives, when it's a stranger trying to make discussion, because after all, it's not so commonplace. If someone starts talking to me and they're asking questions right from the get-go, I'd obviously be suspicious and possibly annoyed depending on what I feel their intent is (do they want something out of me? What are they selling? What kind of sick amusement do they get from my reaction? lol)

These barriers that exist between humans in adulthood did not exist when we are in school. So I am trying to understand why they exist in the adulthood society. We humans exist as a community of mutual dependence, meaning we are supposed to help each other when one person encounters problems he or she cannot solve. We cannot face anything alone all by ourselves.
    To me, this is the value of close friends and family.

It seems in modern day society we only care about ourselves and our self-interests, and not give a damn about the other people's problems and suffering. All because we distrust each other and view other human beings as dangerous.
    I find it pretty hard to totally empathize with people I don't know. It's not that they are so much different from a person I'm close to (we're all humans after all), but I have a hard time conjuring up intense feelings to people I haven't made a personal connection with to some degree. -- People that can watch the news, movies, hear stories of people they have nothing do with and never knew, yet still have deep empathy for, they're admirable to me.

If we are alienated and distrust each other, how can we hope to survive as a species?
    Great question.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I was courteously unaware of the whole 'philanthropical' talk of survival until I read this:

If we are alienated and distrust each other, how can we hope to survive as a species?
    Honestly, this is hilarious. Anybody who has had survival occurred to them in any importance ought to get real, or change their day job.

I dont think the world is that dangerous, I've experienced other peoples drama in the form of aggression and violence but it doesnt perturb me that much, other folk have said that I'm pretty resilient but its also ideology which I reinforce with my own reading and reflection.

I'm not inclined to be particularly trusting or distrusting, I'm not anxious or agonistic generally, a lot of the time I'm a little misanthropic and do not have time for a lot of the people I meet day to day because they really, really fail to impress me in any way shape or form at all. Most social classes are reprehensible, although I see a lot more of the underclass examples.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I do think the world is a dangerous place, but like Oberon, I believe that the vast majority of people are not dangerous. I spent a number of years busking as a summer job, paid by the business community to play in particular locations. As a result, I don't feel too afraid of speaking to strangers. I have learned however that if something seems off, it usually is and you are best to protect yourself, no matter how socially awkward it may seem. I think people should remain open, but not be blindly trusting.