User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Default What's so great about California?

Lately I've noticed how everyone has an affinity for Cali. I've never been there but it seems like it's got a lot of hype. I hear, "Oh California is awesome!" from different people all of the time. I see ads on T.V. promoting the state.

I see the ads, I see the people, I hear them talk but they never say what's really great about it. Why would someone want to go to California?

Please feel free to fill me in, as I don't have an opinion on the state as of yet. I really couldn't care if the San Andreas fault gave way right now.

sammy

Depends where in Cali you want to go, and for what purposes.

Every state has its own semblance of a culture, and the people who usually proclaim it as the greatest state (and are not from there) usually seek to embody that culture in their own lives.

Make a roadtrip out of this for experimental purposes and go explore it yourself.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I've never been. I know a number of people that hate it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Lately I've noticed how everyone has an affinity for Cali. I've never been there but it seems like it's got a lot of hype. I hear, "Oh California is awesome!" from different people all of the time. I see ads on T.V. promoting the state.

I see the ads, I see the people, I hear them talk but they never say what's really great about it. Why would someone want to go to California?

Please feel free to fill me in, as I don't have an opinion on the state as of yet. I really couldn't care if the San Andreas fault gave way right now.
    Well, as an ISTP you'd probably like Yosemite National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yosemite National Park - panoramic pictures - US National Parks Panoramas stock photos, fine art prints by QTL

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Wine country's pretty sweet.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I went there once (southern california), it wasn't that great and very dirty compared to what I'm used to.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

heart on fire

Expensive housing
    Overcrowded
    High Crime
    Miserable Job Market
    High Taxes

Good grief, what's not to love about all of that?

As someone who lives in California but didn't grow up here, I think it's a complicated answer. It's such a large state that it encompasses almost every kind of climate, topography, population density, economic level, ethnicity and culture. If you like sun and sand, it's here. If you like a bustling, diverse city, it's here. If you like forests and mountains, they're here. If you like lots of entertainment options, they're here. If you like pastoral, rural areas, they're here. If you like the desert, it's here. You get the idea.

So in the end I think it's hard to say "I like California" or "I don't like California". Better to say "I like X about California". Almost everyone will find something to love and to hate here.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Also, since there are more Californians than residents of any other state, it's fairly lucrative to point out to them how great they are. It's similar to how much emphasis New York City gets in the media - there are just a hell of a lot of people who live there, and are thus likely to pay attention to the sorts of things that involve them.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I like California because they're the 8th largest economy in the world and still managed to screw it up.