User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Lately I've noticed how everyone has an affinity for Cali. I've never been there but it seems like it's got a lot of hype. I hear, "Oh California is awesome!" from different people all of the time. I see ads on T.V. promoting the state.

I see the ads, I see the people, I hear them talk but they never say what's really great about it. Why would someone want to go to California?

Please feel free to fill me in, as I don't have an opinion on the state as of yet. I really couldn't care if the San Andreas fault gave way right now.
    Are you kidding? The Terminator is boss there.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Are you kidding? The Terminator is boss there.
    My dear Lark,

Can you tell me what kind of powder are you sniffing?
    That's impressive.

Maybe an hydroponic Californian ganja?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

California is a myth..it doesn't really exist. Come on people..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    The cool hip California still exists. It just moved to Portland.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    It's a myth created by the entertainment industry, a place where every dream is supposed to become true. Lust for gold, lust for oil, lust for silicon and electrical mirages...

But the truth is that it's very, very polluted and dusty. It's an ecological nightmare made of pulsating highways, charged with endless flows of loud automobiles. No lungs, only arteries. The angels that are slowly hovering over South California breathe ozone, sand from the neighbouring desert and sulphur dioxide every evening. It's confusing: so many languages emerge from the flat, uninterrupted metropolis, so many disparities, so many tales I hear.

Is it paradise I see, or is it Blade Runner? Or both?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    The angels that slowly hover over LA breathe ozone, sand from the neighbouring desert and sulphur dioxide every evening.
    Sounds like you were here in the 90s. Air is much better now. Thank goodness. Its not like you are going to see a million stars every night in the sky though, but the air is much much much better than the 80's and 90's though.

Traffic is worse though. I can't stand the traffic.

a place where every dream is supposed to become true.
    I've only worked in SF and LA, but according to venture capitalists that have experience outside of California, supposedly there really is an entrepreneurial " you have have second chances here to succeed" spirit here in at least the entrepreneurial business sense that is unique to California. I have no idea what they are talking about. I mean, why can't u start up a business in Chicago, fail, then start another one? Doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Is it paradise I see, or is it Blade Runner? Or both?
    Blade Runner is almost like paradise for me, compared to this. At least there's some excitement.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

What is so great? I can only speak to Northern California:
    Highway 1
    Big Sur
    Lake Tahoe
    Yosemite
    Downtown San Francisco
    Monterey
    Angel Island
    Mt Tamalpais
    Mt Shasta
    Napa Valley
    Muir Woods
    Sausilito and Tiburon
    Stinsen Beach

Those are just a few. It's an amazing place to live but is expensive.
    Last edited by highlander; 03-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Lately I've noticed how everyone has an affinity for Cali. I've never been there but it seems like it's got a lot of hype. I hear, "Oh California is awesome!" from different people all of the time. I see ads on T.V. promoting the state.

I see the ads, I see the people, I hear them talk but they never say what's really great about it. Why would someone want to go to California?

Please feel free to fill me in, as I don't have an opinion on the state as of yet. I really couldn't care if the San Andreas fault gave way right now.
    Ah, my mecca is Esalen in Big Sur, California.

Esalen is the first personal growth centre and it captured my heart.

And to boot my first true love left me with the words, "I never want to see you again", and went to live in Los Angeles and founded, "Share!", a personal growth centre based on self help.

So I remain wistful for Esalen and my first true love.

Ginkgo

California is a cultural crucible, a compilation of different viewpoints and learned behavior. When you get caught up in the mix of it, you understand the gestalt of humanity in general. The beaches, the cities and the forests all provide opportunities for us to understand each other. However, it's unfortunate that famed actors, musicians, and artists have fallen prey to the enticement of greed before losing their humanity. I don't see this happen all that often, and it is surely hard for me to understand those who wobble between philanthropy and personal addiction. We could say that this "Californication" is the embodiment of extreme drama, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Human nature at its finest. Boy, can it be beautiful (?)