User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I've occasionally wondered if some of the less educated members of America think that ignorance/indifference towards international geography is a display of patriotism.
    That does seem to be the case a lot of the time, and it is quite annoying to hear. (There was this Bill Maher bit on youtube that seemed related to this, the part I remember best went something like

"Now the liberals reclaimed the word 'liberal' we need to reclaim the word 'elite'. Elite is usually a good thing, as in 'elite fighting force'...yet in politics, elite is bad...."

It is a viewpoint that seems to occured thanks to some other social conditions, that has mutated into something that is now causing a lot of other problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I've occasionally wondered if some of the less educated members of America think that ignorance/indifference towards international geography is a display of patriotism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    That does seem to be the case a lot of the time, and it is quite annoying to hear. (There was this Bill Maher bit on youtube that seemed related to this, the part I remember best went something like

"Now the liberals reclaimed the word 'liberal' we need to reclaim the word 'elite'. Elite is usually a good thing, as in 'elite fighting force'...yet in politics, elite is bad...."

It is a viewpoint that seems to occured thanks to some other social conditions, that has mutated into something that is now causing a lot of other problems.)
    I think these are separate issues, one international and one national. JivinJeffJones' assertion, which I find to be at best a caricature and at worst a slur, has to do with xenophobia and misplaced patriotism. Zergling's discussion of how the word "elite" has become a bad thing in politics is more about infighting among Americans regarding the effect of education on personal values. "Liberal elite" is a sarcastic term used to illustrate how the liberal and generally better educated citizens on the coasts dismiss and repudiate the personal values of Middle America, which makes up a majority of the population. It's a case of the minority deciding that they know what is best for the majority. Thus the use of "elite".

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I think these are separate issues, one international and one national. JivinJeffJones' assertion, which I find to be at best a caricature and at worst a slur, has to do with xenophobia and misplaced patriotism. Zergling's discussion of how the word "elite" has become a bad thing in politics is more about infighting among Americans regarding the effect of education on personal values. "Liberal elite" is a sarcastic term used to illustrate how the liberal and generally better educated citizens on the coasts dismiss and repudiate the personal values of Middle America, which makes up a majority of the population. It's a case of the minority deciding that they know what is best for the majority. Thus the use of "elite".

But FM, I do know what's best for everyone.

I don't understand why people just won't listen and I try to be so diplomatic, too...

If it makes you feel any better, American Idol is run by Middle America and particularly the south. At least according to 'Vote For The Worst'. You can't get any more democratic than a popularity contest on TV.
    Last edited by CzeCze; 12-02-2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: explaining helps

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    JivinJeffJones' assertion, which I find to be at best a caricature and at worst a slur
    WTF? I said "some". Jeez.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Jen - I got friends and relatives in the U.S.

And the U.K. sucks in many aspects. Especially England. My sister lived in Scotland for about a year, my best friend lived in England. My co-worker is from south London, my brother has been there for a long period of time. I wouldn't say stuff if i'd heard it from the media or some unreliable person. They all found the U.K. to be quite crappy.

This is almost like being a troll

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Jen - I got friends and relatives in the U.S.
    Do they think that the US is the worst country in the world? If so then why do they live here?

This is almost like being a troll
    For the record, I couldn't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks as I am living a comfortable and happy life right here in the good old USA, so troll away.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

There are ofc ups and downs in the quality of life in your "old" USA They live good lives also, but as swedes they aren't used to the same difference between the classes. And it's actually more about SOLIDARITY than if YOU are actually living a comfy life.

And just about every person in the world know about your very smart foreign policy. It's going to get you nuked back to the stone age some day =S
    It'd be real bad, because you've got some nice things going, too.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

There are ofc ups and downs in the quality of life in your "old" USA They live good lives also, but as swedes they aren't used to the same difference between the classes. And it's actually more about SOLIDARITY than if YOU are actually living a comfy life.

And just about every person in the world know about your very smart foreign policy. It's going to get you nuked back to the stone age some day =S
    It'd be real bad, because you've got some nice things going, too.
    I've already discussed my concerns in an earlier post and I'm still optimistic that we'll get back on track. If things don't improve then we'll just move in with you.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    If things don't improve then we'll just move in with you.
    If that's you in the profile picture, then by all means, yes please

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

If that's you in the profile picture, then by all means, yes please
    haha, I'm married and have three kids so by "we" I mean all of us.