User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

A tighter reign. Yes. Very tight.

The companies unite, and form a state- or a union owned monopoly. The executives triple the prices in lack of competition and put the revenue in their pockets. The politicians get their share.

As a consequence the prices of food and energy are sky-high. They are going up.

The middle class will crash. The days of penury are ahead.
    The crooks get rich.

Capitalism?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    And if you pause a while, perhaps she is smarter than you think - she's raking in the moolah (devalued, but still moolah), just by being whom she is. She'll probably retire with close to millions before she's 40, while other intelligentsia work off their butts to 60.
    That would actually be a luck factor I'd say, combined with the odd ways that the celebrity system works, where one of the popular archetypes of "dumb but cute" (Forrest Gump, various politicians, Paris Hilton, etc.). There is a quite low chance that a large amount of people with similar qualities would ever get as rich or famous as she will.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    That would actually be a luck factor I'd say, combined with the odd ways that the celebrity system works, where one of the popular archetypes of "dumb but cute" (Forrest Gump, various politicians, Paris Hilton, etc.). There is a quite low chance that a large amount of people with similar qualities would ever get as rich or famous as she will.
    True that. In which case, it is hard to begrudge her her fortune so to speak. Then she's pretty smart to make hay while it shines, no? Same with Paris. Why not, to be cynical. The system makes use of you, but at least you profit from it.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    That's mostly on the West Coast, where they drive to a corner store that is two houses away from their own. And we all know what a media haven the West Coast is!

To be honest, I don't see that many people (in my area, at least) that are morbidly obese.
    Wha?

Alright, now it's on!

Hahhaa, no it's not.

But seriously, what are you talking about?

Everyone from the east coat who visits CA comments on how there are 'no fat people'. Compared to a city like Philly or even NYC, I guess Ca-ians look pretty svelte and attractive overall. Or at least the ones in the metro areas. Uh, no offense to the Philadelphians.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Wha?

Alright, now it's on!

Hahhaa, no it's not.

But seriously, what are you talking about?

Everyone from the east coat who visits CA comments on how there are 'no fat people'. Compared to a city like Philly or even NYC, I guess Ca-ians look pretty svelte and attractive overall. Or at least the ones in the metro areas. Uh, no offense to the Philadelphians.
    Yo, whatchoo got against Philadelphians?

This whole thing is ridiculous. First of all, for those defending her, Kellie Pickler can be stupid AND have high worth as a person. Just because it's not entirely her fault doesn't mean she's not stupid. But until she gets old enough that people don't want to have sex with her, she'll be seen as "charmingly naive".

As for what this says about America, I don't give a rat's ass. I'm not a jingoist, but I'm tired of feeling like I have to apologize when I travel abroad. I'm tired of other Americans feeling like they have to tell people they're Canadian when traveling in Europe. I'm smart, lots of people I know are smart, and we have consciences. We live in a fine country, and I'm tired of the US being seen as the boorish, drunken uncle at the world party.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Actually, USA is like the worst country in the world.
    - Bad education
    - Bad justice system
    - Healthcare SUCKS
    - Loads of poor people (Just have something against the state they're in, not them, i'm agitated that the "trailer trash" have it the way they do).
    - USA always try to meddle with just about everything in the world, like a big bumbling, retarded child.
    - A few thousand lives lost gets you stupidly pissed off and spam the media with pictures, news reports and shit for years, starts a global war because of it. A few thousand lives, how many have U.S. sanctions and wars cost other countries? And you in the U.S. call THEM terrorists ...Good lord.

Oh sorry, nothing personally, just got carried away.
    Found this site to be something of a beacon of intelligence, but if you look in other places it's not quite as high standards. =)

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    - Healthcare SUCKS
    Socialized healthcare sucks too, just in a different way. What they pay in insurance for private healthcare, we instead pay in taxes. The result for us is a more even distribution of healthcare resources where it basically sucks for everyone (e.g need a surgery that will greatly improve quality of life, but for a non life-threatening condition? Sure, come back in 8 months, bye bye). Want to get an appointment for a general medical checkup? Sure, your FP is free... in 3 weeks from now.

The result in the U.S. is that basic simple healthcare is available for everyone (no, poor people without insurance won't be left to die if they get shot) but quality healthcare and expensive procedures are reserved for those with insurance. On the plus side you actually get the healthcare when you need it, and not half a year later.

And yes, there are other issues such as insurance companies milking the system for what it's worth, driving prices up and efficiency down. I'm not saying I really agree with the way it's organized in the U.S, but our form of healthcare sure as hell isn't perfect either.
    Last edited by Forfe; 12-01-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typo

MBTI
    GONE

- Bad education
    - Bad justice system
    - Healthcare SUCKS
    - Loads of poor people (Just have something against the state they're in, not them, i'm agitated that the "trailer trash" have it the way they do).
    - USA always try to meddle with just about everything in the world, like a big bumbling, retarded child.
    - A few thousand lives lost gets you stupidly pissed off and spam the media with pictures, news reports and shit for years, starts a global war because of it. A few thousand lives, how many have U.S. sanctions and wars cost other countries? And you in the U.S. call THEM terrorists ...Good lord.

Oh sorry, nothing personally, just got carried away.
    Found this site to be something of a beacon of intelligence, but if you look in other places it's not quite as high standards. =)

YLJ -- I am confused. Are you an expat living abroad, or a Scandinavian native?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Have you been here? Sorry, I ask all Europeans who bash the US this question.

Hmmm just like anything else you have to take the good with the bad. My Husbands family live in England and our lifestyles are very different. For example hospitals. In the UK (according to my Mother In Law) you do not get a private room as you often do in the US, you're in a ward with other people. My brother in law and his family just purchased a tiny house on the outskirts of town for $350,000. A house in our neighborhood will get you a gorgeous 3500 sq ft and loaded with upgrades on a half an acre. They didn't have their phone service connected until a month after they moved in! 3 days tops here. They are also taxed to death on everything! It's full of immigrants and people are getting bashed over the head in for their fucking cell phones! BTW If any of this is incorrect, please let me know and I'll have a word with my Husbands friends and family which is where I received my information.

I'm not saying all of Europe is this way, but when my Husband was offered an excellent job opportunity in Germany we were told by the German employees of the US branch "Don't go, it's not as nice as the US. Why do you think we're here?"

Sure our president sucks, sure we are greedy and need to change our ways before the damage we've done is irreversible (I'm an optimist, ok?) And yes, we need a better health care system. I still wouldn't trade the life I have here, to living in Europe at this time in my life.

Culturally I do find Europeans very fascinating. I believe that their education systems are superior, factually unbiased and their conservation methods are far more advanced than ours. Sadly I just don't think our country is mentally ready for new ideas.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    BTW If any of this is incorrect, please let me know and I'll have a word with my Husbands friends and family which is where I received my information.
    I'm in another European country and that's exactly how it is. Oh and for $350.000 you may get a very small house in a really small town, but in the major cities it'll at most net you a very low-standard 3 room apartment.