User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    OMFG!!!! Not all Americans are this stupid! Even Paris Hilton knows to keep her mouth shut!

Europe is a country and everyone speaks french here
    ...and for my thousandth post, I'm just gonna say that only a non-European would be in the slightest bit surprised at this. No, wait, I know Asians who aren't, when they hear such things. Africans too...

I remember in fact, some time ago, a story in the British newspapers saying that a survey was conducted to see what flag recognition was like in the US Army, and that less than half of them could correctly identify the Union Flag. Someone at work brought in the paper and held it up - the reaction wasn't surprise or shock, just rolled eyes, nods and smirks.

What could this mean...? Who knows? *Gallic shrug*
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't. I know where Budapest is.

And I think the reason the education system is declining is because of a lack of discipline in schools. The definition in America of disciplining children is suspending them for ten days. Physical punishment towards children (such as spanking) is becoming a social taboo because is wrongly mistaken as child abuse, even though it has been proven as an effective method of punishment, if done properly. (There is a difference between spanking a child on the ass and beating the living crap out of it.)
    I agree with you about the lack of discipline, and additionally, the general lack of respect for authority in our culture - the disdain for it really.

My sister works for the school system and she's worried about the kids coming into the 6th grade next year. She says their attention span is noticeably shorter.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I personally blame the media in part, since we focus so much on ourselves in this country instead of looking at the rest of the world (unless we're talking about how that country is related to us in some way!). I was rather pleasantly shocked while in Brazil that I could follow what was going on back at home in the news because even in the rural area that I was in there, a good portion of the news focused on international events (even if they didn't relate to Brazil!).
    Ethics aside, why is thinking about anyone but ourselves important?

I also think it's funny how France thinks Americans are lazy, and yet hard work is illegal in France (i.e. vacation time is mandatory in France, optional in the US). Ironic, yes?

Very simply, members of a small group will find each other stupid just because they don't share the same values. The same principle extends internationally.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    HEEEEEY!!! WHAT THE HELL??? What do you have against this innocent soul! She's a good person! Leave her alone! And also when was intelligence equated with knowledge? She may not know some stuff, but that doesn't make her stupid !
    Thank you for sticking up for Kelli.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    HEEEEEY!!! WHAT THE HELL??? What do you have against this innocent soul! She's a good person! Leave her alone! And also when was intelligence equated with knowledge? She may not know some stuff, but that doesn't make her stupid !
    Pfft! :rolleyes2: It's embarrassing and the exact reason other countries think we're idiots and backwards.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post

To continue with the comparison of Finland and USA, Finland has just 2 universities in the most recent listing of top 500 universities in the world, and they don't rank high.. whereas USA has too many to remember If someone can throw a few statistics, thanks.
    To be fair though, USA has a FAR larger population than Finland, and don't discount the number of foreign students in the universities either.

Even regarding it in terms of percentage of the population, it still doesn't mean we can factor out standards of living and the fact that more people will be able to have a good education in a richer country than a less rich one.

And what's Cambridge? Chopped liver?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Ethics aside, why is thinking about anyone but ourselves important?
    you think I'm thinking about ethics?!?

it's only practical to have an idea of what's going on elsewhere- otherwise we'd be totally in the dark when something happens that DOES affect us! It's just as dumb as standing in a crowd and not paying attention to those around you- if you're only focusing on yourself you might not realize that you will soon be standing next to a fight or that you will have a cup of coffee dumped on your lap! As much as a lot of americans hate it- we ARE part of the same planet as everyone else, so it's vitaly important to know what's going on elsewhere for protection, if not for personal interests sake!

(I personally follow foreign news out of interest most of the time, but that's a much more boring argument!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    And what's Cambridge? Chopped liver?
    To this fan of Lewis and Tolkien, yes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Now now, Uber, don't you know that all Americans are stupid, wasteful and morbidly obese?
    That's mostly on the West Coast, where they drive to a corner store that is two houses away from their own. And we all know what a media haven the West Coast is!

To be honest, I don't see that many people (in my area, at least) that are morbidly obese.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    To this fan of Lewis and Tolkien, yes.
    We beat them in almost everything. I don't see anything there comparing to The Footlights Club either. Plus 81 Nobel Prizes to 25, and Darwin, Monty Python, and of course, Peter Cook just trumps them all. Anyway Lewis went to Magdalene Cantab, not Oxon.

(I went to King's)