Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    We do have a horrible understanding of geography.
    I don't. I know where Budapest is.

And I think the reason the education system is declining is because of a lack of discipline in schools. The definition in America of disciplining children is suspending them for ten days. Physical punishment towards children (such as spanking) is becoming a social taboo because is wrongly mistaken as child abuse, even though it has been proven as an effective method of punishment, if done properly. (There is a difference between spanking a child on the ass and beating the living crap out of it.)

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Now now, Uber, don't you know that all Americans are stupid, wasteful and morbidly obese?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    GONE

That's Kelly Pickler. She's faking. She may not be that smart, but she's definitely playing it up. On American Idol she said she didn't know what salmon was. "What's SAL-MOHN? Is that a food?" That was her shtick and it worked. Notice the host is the 'you know you're a redneck?' guy and they are both speaking with deep southern accents? Exactly. She's playing for the camera.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I dunno. Kelly's dating the hockey player Jordin Tootoo and she called him "Eskimo", said something about making igloos. She's not faking. I think she may be sweet but very daft.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Interestingly, the European Union seems from here to somewhat resemble a country. It has its own currency, and travel within it doesn't involve a lot of red tape.

Of course, not everyone there speaks French of course. The French themselves may be brushing up on their Farsi.
    There is very much red tape. You can stay only three months in another EU country. After that you are kicked out as an undesirable alien.

In many ways things were easier before the Union.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Last thing I saw on stereotypical US education is how to bust a cap in someone's ass.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I think uber has a point.. there is selective media exposure to stories of "stupid Americans".

The sorry state of education on geography is something very real in USA tho. Of course that's not the whole picture. I gather that the top range in mathematical and scientific education in the USA is very high internationally. Their higher end even beat the higher end of students in Finland. That's the winning country of most of the international rankings of education levels in 15-year olds in recent years. (edit: and that accomplishment, as I remember it, is something that only Koreans and people in the USA can brag about.)

There's a great variation though, so the average compares just OK to other developed countries, if not even bad (I don't remember). I'm sure there's much more statistics for someone who wishes to enter a few search words on google.. start with PISA.

USA has most of the world's best universities, which tells something about the higher end. They just win in that department. Harward, Yale, MIT, etc.. I think the approach to education in USA is an acceptable one and it's successfull in it's own way. As said, the top range of students really shines. By this, I mean about 0,1-5% of population, depending on definition.

People in USA have their own methods of success and I'm happy for them (you). It's too much to sum it all up in one message.

To continue with the comparison of Finland and USA, Finland has just 2 universities in the most recent listing of top 500 universities in the world, and they don't rank high.. whereas USA has too many to remember If someone can throw a few statistics, thanks.

What it is really bad is the inequality of quality in our education system. In general, parents do anything to avoid their kids going to school in poorer and more urban areas.

Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    OMFG!!!! Not all Americans are this stupid! Even Paris Hilton knows to keep her mouth shut!
    HEEEEEY!!! WHAT THE HELL??? What do you have against this innocent soul! She's a good person! Leave her alone! And also when was intelligence equated with knowledge? She may not know some stuff, but that doesn't make her stupid !

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I was feeling kind of dumb today, but not anymore!

I've always been shocked by how little geography some of my fellow Americans know- I'm from a rural area and there were plenty of people there who couldn't list all of the states that border my state- let alone more than about 10 foreign countries! (and they definitley would not know where Budapest is!) I remember a classmate pointing to Saudi Arabia when asked where Afghanistan was after we started bombing them!

I personally blame the media in part, since we focus so much on ourselves in this country instead of looking at the rest of the world (unless we're talking about how that country is related to us in some way!). I was rather pleasantly shocked while in Brazil that I could follow what was going on back at home in the news because even in the rural area that I was in there, a good portion of the news focused on international events (even if they didn't relate to Brazil!).
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett