User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Barbie Torture

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Well, I didn't ruin my NICE dolls. Just the Barbies.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    xNfj

I took care of my nice Barbies, and was very protective of them. But then a friend gave me an old one whose head had been pulled off and shoved back on. I cut her hair short, pierced her nose, and then gave her a tattoo with a needle and marker.

MBTI
    WOLF

I don't think I ever did evil things to my Barbies. Some would break and lose limbs over time and I would carefully bandage them up, but I've never cut their hair or anything like that. Probably because I liked their long, blonde hair similar to my own.

And that other list - none of those. I must be way more normal than I thought

I think that is just our survival instincts taken to an extreme.
    You know, that’s probably very true. I never thought of it that way before.

Well, I didn't ruin my NICE dolls. Just the Barbies.
    Well, maybe I never mutilated my Barbies because the only ones I had were nice Barbies. But I just think I’m less psychopathic than you.

LOL. Jkjk.

When I was a child, a friend and I used to shoot at robins with his bb gun until one day we actually shot one and it dropped to the ground. There was a small bead of blood on its chest as it sat there quietly in the grass, its heart fluttering, and I stared, unnerved, into its dark eye until it finally stopped breathing.

I don't think I ever talked about it to anyone, but I don't think I have ever shot anything since. I just can't.
    You have a vivid novelist's description. Nice. This resonates very deeply. Sounds like something I would do. Curiosity and play turned deadly, and then a terrified, remorseful silence afterwards. Or perhaps an attempt to capture a bug in the house to put it outside, with the end result of actually harming it. I’m so sorry! I recall a similar situation with a few bugs I’ve killed in my day. It’s amazing how much the killing of a smaller animal can effect us.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I never mutilated barbies. I had two younger sisters who were playing with them so I was quite young when I already saw them as "not mine anymore" to touch.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
    Most people seem to either love or hate Barbie, with opinions ranging from "She's a role model for young girls, because she is pictured with the ability to do anything" to "She's provides an unrealistic body image and should be wiped out of existence."

For one of my courses, we had to pick a pop-culture topic. I've narrowed mine to the phenomenon of "Barbie torture play" (e.g. Cutting her hair, melting her head, etc.). Most seem to regard it as a means of separating themselves from a symbol of "babyish" behavior, almost a means of rebellion.

What are your thoughts? Have you bombed any Barbies in your day? Why do you think kids would destroy their dolls?
    My son - when he was about 5 - used to strip her naked, bind and gag her, and hang her from a string.
    (Yes, this did cause us to worry about him.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I've heard that serial killers have a history of:
    1. Pyromania
    2. Bed wetting
    3. Animal killing
    4. Barbie mutilation

(It's true -- I read it online somewhere!)
    Uh-oh. My son has 2 of those, though it wasn't really technically mutilation.

My son - when he was about 5 - used to strip her naked, bind and gag her, and hang her from a string.
    (Yes, this did cause us to worry about him.)
    I did something similar to this. It was a type of sexual fantasy for me. In my human sexuality class we learned that kids as young as 4 or 5 have fantasies with erotic content, and children between the ages of 6 and 10 become physically aroused by thinking about these fantasies. They start surprisingly young, and it was the case with me. I think he may have been playing out a dom/sub fantasy with the Barbie. Hmm...

MBTI
    INTJ

My barbies got stuck in a box and ignored.

Some of my riding dolls were played with...in my little warfare scenarios.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Murdering your opponents by magic or treachery is the traditional way of settling disputes.

If you win, then clearly your argument has more merit.
    *chuckled at your signature*