User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 95

Thread: Common Folkways

  1. #71
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    when he doesn't address the op OR the tone of the thread (it was a lighthearted thread) AND was asked to please desist and take the discussion elsewhere...

    7 pages of arguing between SW and SW cut from my thread... nobody else could really fully participate by then unless they were directly part of that argument

    it killed the thread and the OP wasn't addressed

    How's that for ya?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  2. #72
    Feelin' FiNe speculative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL
    Posts
    929

    Default

    I have responded to this thread in the only way possible - I have voted it 1 star.

    As for "folk typology," I seem to remember some spiritual leader saying something like they could save more sinners by preaching in the alley than the Vatican. Or if they didn't, they should have...

    Whatever - where is your original thread? If you let me know, I'll go bump it. Cheers, don't let the WoT attack get you down.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

  3. #73
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    when he doesn't address the op OR the tone of the thread (it was a lighthearted thread) AND was asked to please desist and take the discussion elsewhere...

    7 pages of arguing between SW and SW cut from my thread... nobody else could really fully participate by then unless they were directly part of that argument

    it killed the thread and the OP wasn't addressed

    How's that for ya?
    In other words, he failed to approach the topic in the manner you dictate?

    The arrogant bastard.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  4. #74
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    SW, what do you mean when you say that existence is not a predicate?
    It means that when you make a reference to a certain entity, you're addressing something that exists as opposed to something that does not. For example, if I say that a unicorn is black, I refer to an existing entity. That is not to imply that unicorns exist but rather that there is something that exists that I have perceived as a unicorn. The chief implication of the principle of 'existence is not a predicate' is that if I know that perception exists, I know for a fact that there is something rather than nothing. This goes back to a previous poster's remark about Descartes, unfortunately I don't remember this person's name. He asked if we know that Descartes really thinks because he thinks that he thinks. This was asked in the context of a Neo-Cartesian inquiry regarding whether a self-exists or anything at all exists. Thus, since Descartes can know for a fact that he has some kind of perceptions, it follows that he knows for a fact that he thinks as thinking is defined as any cognitive activity. Descartes knows for a fact that he has perceptions because if he did not, he would not have been able to engage in any kind of a reflection. However, since he did engage in some kind of a reflection or a cognitive activity, he can be certain that he thinks.

    How does the 'existence is not a predicate' relate to this. One may say that Descartes could be mistaken about what his perceptions tell him about the world. That is true, however, this does not show that he does not think. He can be mistaken that there is a table next to him, but he can't be mistaken that he perceives a table. Thus, since existence is not a predicate and Descartes does perceive that some mental image exists, it follows that he thinks or perceives a mental image regardless of whether such an image accurately mirrors reality.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  5. #75
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ^ when he insists on going way off topic and f%^&ing up your thread

    I could have dealt with an appology
    Well, you never thought twice about contaminating my threads with irrelevant and substanceless one-liners, have you? So, what are you complaining about?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  6. #76
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    FOLK TYPOLOGY

  7. #77
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Awesome.

  8. #78
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    It means that when you make a reference to a certain entity, you're addressing something that exists as opposed to something that does not. For example, if I say that a unicorn is black, I refer to an existing entity. That...
    In other words, we know something exists not because we perceive it to exist, but rather that something which perceives exists, therefore there is assuredly something rather than nothing?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  9. #79
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    In other words, we know something exists not because we perceive it to exist, but rather that something which perceives exists, therefore there is assuredly something rather than nothing?
    Partially correct. This claim alone does not show that the perceiver exists or the thing that is having the perceptions exists. It shows that a perception exists and therefore something exists.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  10. #80
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    FOLK IT OUT, DUDE!!!


    TYPOLOGY IS THE PEOPLE'S LOOOOVE, MAAAAAAN!!!


    FAR OUT...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Commonalities/differences between ENFP and ENFJ
    By proteanmix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-23-2015, 02:35 PM
  2. Common sense - what is it and who has it?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 12:21 AM
  3. [INFP] Common for other INFPs?
    By sleep in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 10:48 PM
  4. Suggestions for new fines, charges and other changes for the sake of common sense.
    By Xander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 06:35 AM
  5. Commonly abused logical Fallacies..
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO