User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Common Folkways

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    This thread is about why one person terribly mistyped others. I pointed out why they did.
    With your incessant imitation of Paul Revere riding through the forum yelling: "Folk topology! Folk topology! Folk Typology!"

You pulled the same type of stunt on Little Linguist when she started a personality test thread.
    You just had to rush in and screw with her.
    Or was that your way of merely taking a day off from trolling the NF forum?
    Can you find posts of similar content that I wrote since 2009 or even 2008?
    How convenient. Write a bunch of shit about people and then when you're called out on your bigotry, you can just claim you changed your mind.

I am rendering a service to the community by pointing out its deep errors before it intoxicates the minds of many others as it has once poisoned mine.
    You are rendering a service to the community?
    John Wayne Gacy said the same thing.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

This thread is about why one person terribly mistyped others. I pointed out why they did.

Can you find posts of similar content that I wrote since 2009 or even 2008? I am not to blame for non-sense of that kind in entirety; folk typology is more culpable. The MBTI and Keirseyan method of typing people is what has informed my reasoning about the subject-matter. I am rendering a service to the community by pointing out its deep errors before it intoxicates the minds of many others in a manner akin to how it has once poisoned mine.
    Spare yourself. No one ever learned a damn thing from sticking to "accepted" hierarchies. It's in the exploring of the chaotic morass that we distill what is actually real and refine what we already know. Sticking to prescriptivist classicist heuristics leads to nothing but institutional myopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    C'mon. Commonpeople is synonymous with laypeople.
    Hey everybody! We're all gonna get laid!

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    With your incessant imitation of Paul Revere riding through the forum yelling: "Folk topology! Folk topology! Folk Typology!"
    Someone has to do that, otherwise people will have no reason to even suspect that there is something wrong with the method of typing others that they use.

You pulled the same type of stunt on Little Linguist when she started a personality test thread.
    She even thanked me for my efforts.

How convenient. Write a bunch of shit about people and then when you're called out on your bigotry, you can just claim you changed your mind..
    Read my new posts and the book, see if I really have changed my mind.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Your criticism isn't constructive though. .
    In some cases, they seem to be non-constructive. However, I've written many posts where I've explained what exactly is wrong with folk typology. A lot of times I merely mention that somebody is using a deeply flawed typological method without explaining what's wrong with it. In that regard, it seems non-constructive. However, I implicitly expect that those who read my posts know what I am talking about as they can go back and look up my previous posts on folk typology.

In other words, for the very least, I think that my remarks contain a reference to constructive commentary on the subject.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The thing is, a lot of people don't care that you think folk typology is bad. It's not an exact science or anything. It can't be proven. So largely you just come across as some deluded, self-righteous Ivory tower person on mission...not entirely unlike Victor, or the Christian who comes into a gay bar seeking converts.

It really is the phrasing that you use that's the problem - "folk typology". It just sounds snobbish and tactless.

: "I mistyped some guy once, lol! Isn't that funny? any of you guys have funny mistyping stories as well?"
    :rolleyes2: : "Mistyped someone, huh? Well that's because you're an ignorant commoner. Unlike me, of course. Heh."
    :
    Hello

Someone has to do that, otherwise people will have no reason to even suspect that there is something wrong with the method of typing others that they use.
    Son, there's something wrong with your own method of typing.
    You just don't see it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

It's not an exact science or anything. It can't be proven. So largely you just come across as some deluded, self-righteous Ivory tower person on mission.
    Just because its not an exact science does not mean that every utterance about the subject is equally plausible. Nor does it mean that we should not attempt to understand the subject or avoid having false beliefs about it. History, Literature and Religious studies are not exact sciences. Yet scholars of all of such disciplines unanimously maintain that some claims about those subjects are of greater scholarly merit than others.

entirely unlike Victor, or the Christian who comes into a gay bar seeking converts.
    There is one big difference between the work that I do and those people you've described. They try to convince others to share their beliefs by an appeal to faith or personal sentiments. In other words, their arguments amount to no more than you simply have to share their beliefs and they hardly need to give a reason why you should! I actually make arguments of scholarly substance that the folk typology people neither understand nor even try to refute. Instead, they thoughtlessly parade their platitudinous chants like rebellious adolescents who remonstrate against the law that forces them to attend school until the age of 16.

The thing is, a lot of people don't care that you think folk typology is bad..
    A lot of people don't care if I think that religion, black magic and astrology are bad. However, that does not mean that those enterprises have merit or that they aren't bad.

Folklore

The map is not the territory.

However a map does illustrate aspects of a territory.

But to be a map, a map must correspond to some aspects of a territory.

And correspondence can be determined by evidence and reason.

So whether MBTI corresponds to aspects of personality can be determined by a number of double blind tests.

But no double blind test has been applied to MBTI for seventy years.

So there is no evidence that MBTI is a map of the personality.

However it is self-evident that MBTI is a map of the personality. And folklore is self-evident. So MBTI is folklore.

So we can reasonably say that the map of MBTI is not the territory of the personality but also that MBTI is not a map at all.

In fact MBTI is used in exactly the same way as astrology. And MBTI is astrology for the college educated.

And astrology is folk astronomy. Astrology was what we had until astronomy came alone.

So MBTI is personality for the Volk.

I actually make arguments of scholarly substance that the folk typology people...
    Here comes Paul Revere again, riding through the forum:
    "The Folk Typology people are coming!"