User Tag List

First 8910

Thread: Common Folkways

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ok... *shakes hands w/ SW on the issue*

nobody ever complains about people seriousing up fluffy threads

ok... now carry on w the serious discounting of the unknowlegable applying superficial views of typology to other people without really developing a deep understanding of its underlying principles...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ok... now carry on w the serious discounting of the unknowlegable applying superficial views of typology to other people without really developing a deep understanding of its underlying principles...
    Folk Typology.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Folk Typology.
    true, but I just gave an excellent and semi-concise definition, which may help make debate on this topic rage on by simplifying it for the simpleminded like myself...

and as a note on the topic, the positive side of "folk typology" is that it can act as a gateway drug for people, getting them interested in other aspects of personality studies and psychology

not all things that are simple are BAD!

*wanders off, having contributed something on the topic*
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

true, but I just gave an excellent and semi-concise definition, which may help make debate on this topic rage on by simplifying it for the simpleminded like myself...

and as a note on the topic, the positive side of "folk typology" is that it can act as a gateway drug for people, getting them interested in other aspects of personality studies and psychology

not all things that are simple are BAD! *
    It can serve as a gateway for people with deep interests in typological matters, however, they will soon have to repudiate what they've learned from folk typology. It simply leads them to have false beliefs and most people are not inquisitive enough to abandon them at some point. On that note, I'd be hesitant to attribute any educative merit to folk typology. Its chief service to the community consists in simply giving people something to talk about and form relationships, similarly to how SuperBowl, Jerry Springer and Fashion make such contributions to many communities.

Such forms of entertainent do have their virtues, but I fear that they are outweighed by the false beliefs people acquire in exchange for bonding experiences. False beliefs about social matters are often very dangerous. Especially when the false beliefs are about superficial characterizations of groups; they often fuel racism, class struggles and animosity between various groups. I can't say that we have not had this type of problems on our forum.
    *wanders off, having contributed something on the topic*
    Thank you.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post

Predicting behaviors is extremely difficult. Even the Big Five model which is recognized as the most accurate of all personality systems has struggled in this respect. How a person behaves has a lot to do with their external circumstances and internal variables. For example, a person's job, income, relationship status, personal interests have a great deal to do with how he will behave at a later point. Similarly, his internal condition such as moods, mental health, physical health and so on also have a lot to do with the choices he shall make in life. If you know only the core personality qualities of theirs, you're unlikely to make accurate predictions. Even if MBTI was a good personality theory, which by any means it is not, it still would not suffice as an adequate predictor of behaviors. Its not a good theory because it attributes too many vague and mutually incompatible characteristics to a single personality type. I could write thousands of words illustrating examples of this phenomena, but I shall spare you the headaches. Generally, MBTI enthusiasts avoid this problem by extracting the consistent set of qualities from profile descriptions, yet ignore the palpable contradictions and antinomies. For more information on internal inconsistencies of MBTI, see my essay 'Typology as a Philosophical discipline'. http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...iscipline.html

For the meantime, I suggest that if you truly believe that in many cases when you think you're using MBTI to accurately predict human behaviors, you're unconsciously engaging in a confirmation bias or perceiving illustory structure and patterns without knowing that you are. This does not mean that you can never make an accurate prediction of a person's behavior on a basis of their MBTI stereotypical traits, yet you won't manage to do so, 70,80 or 90% of the time. I'd be astounded if anyone could do so 50% of the time in a typical non-controlled environment.
    I have been thinking about this and am not sure things are so black and white. My orignal interest in MBTI came from the standpoint of not understanding another person - a particular person in fact. I wasn't trying to predict their behavior I was just trying to understand where they were coming from a little better. Since that time, I've used MBTI for many years to attempt to understand others a little better. It provides a semblance of a logical framework, however imprecise and vague, to help you understand how others may think or where they may be coming from. That is not the same as using it to predict behavior.

Perhaps I've been hallucinating all this time or perceiving illusory structure or patterns unknowingly. Perhaps there is no value in this at all when it comes to interpersonal relationships or understanding people who may think or act differently than you. That doesn't seem entirely logical though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639