User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    dammit... I was thinking The Princess Bride when you said life is pain

"Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something."

I've just become quite good at focusing on the positive things instead of paying attention to pain... it keeps me a bit more sane
    The Princess Bride is popular. Lets just pretend that is what I was quoting. Focusing on the positive is good, I think. There is already enough of a natural tendency to focus on the negative.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    The Princess Bride is popular. Lets just pretend that is what I was quoting. Focusing on the positive is good, I think. There is already enough of a natural tendency to focus on the negative.
    And remember, Westley still thought Buttercup had fallen out of love with him at that point - for which he was sorely mistaken!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Working on it. I still grunt when something sacks me, though I don't stay on my knees long.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Life isn't pain. Anyone who tells you that is obsessed.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Life isn't pain. Anyone who tells you that is obsessed.
    Life is pain means that life is hard and has pain. It is the obsession with the avoidance of pain and difficulty that is the issue.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Life isn't pain. Anyone who tells you that is obsessed....
    Or a Fi-dom.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Life is pain means that life is hard and has pain. It is the obsession with the avoidance of pain and difficulty that is the issue.
    But that means you're assigning one thing to an entire basket! I mean, if I could say whatever I wanted, I'd say "Life is boredom!" when really I think that life has a lot of boredom in it, but really it cannot be boredom in and of itself because, well, there's so much pain in it, at least according to you
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

But that means you're assigning one thing to an entire basket! I mean, if I could say whatever I wanted, I'd say "Life is boredom!" when really I think that life has a lot of boredom in it, but really it cannot be boredom in and of itself because, well, there's so much pain in it, at least according to you
    Boredom is pain. All I can really say is my life is pain... since you joined this thread. But hey, that is life.

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    You are a child of the universe. The universe is unfolding around us constantly. It needs our help. And if we help it, if we choose the path of action over apathy, if we take some risks along the way of our journey through it, then it can help us. The universe cannot help you if you are idle. The universe cannot pick you up and make you play the game of life. You must get on the field yourself. You have to be on the field to catch the ball. You must try to make plays. You must try to score points. If you don't then the game will end, and there will be very little to reflect upon as the crowd leaves the stadium.
    Thanks for the very inspirational post, Halla. It made me feel damn good!

I really liked the part I quoted above. I think for Fi-dominant types like me, perfectionism is a very real danger. It's too easy for me to focus on the things I could have done better or where I messed up, and dwell on them, especially personal or ethical/moral failures. That forces me away from the present (dropping Se) and I become unhappy and ineffectual. I tighten up, and I can't be in the moment as easily. For ISFPs, this can result in depression (not enough Se) or for INFPs, anxiety/tension/stress problems (not enough Ne and context).

I've worked hard to be able to let it go, and stay in the game. Your words are truly important, bro. I'm going to post them next to my desk at work.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    dammit... I was thinking The Princess Bride when you said life is pain

"Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something."

I've just become quite good at focusing on the positive things instead of paying attention to pain... it keeps me a bit more sane
    Yes. Just don't pretend pain and hardship aren't there. Live good and live smart, and avoid as much pain as possible, but do not pretend that life is without it, and handle it gracefully when it does arrive from time to time.

I call this a positive yet realistic attitude. It does you no good to gamble about the world as a smiling idiot, waiting to be run over by a truck, but it also does you no good to bumble around like a sullen ogre missing the beauty of life that surrounds you. Look at the glass as half full, not empty. Focus on the positive. The bald man said "God could only create so many perfect heads, and for those that don't have them, he gave them hair."

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    And remember, Westley still thought Buttercup had fallen out of love with him at that point - for which he was sorely mistaken!
    Damn good point!

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Working on it. I still grunt when something sacks me, though I don't stay on my knees long.
    Take the hit, lick your wounds, reflect on the experience, and move forward smarter than before.

In times of success, don't gloat on it too long, take it in, and then get your wits about you. Getting over confident is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Thanks for the very inspirational post, Halla. It made me feel damn good!

I really liked the part I quoted above. I think for Fi-dominant types like me, perfectionism is a very real danger. It's too easy for me to focus on the things I could have done better or where I messed up, and dwell on them, especially personal or ethical/moral failures. That forces me away from the present (dropping Se) and I become unhappy and ineffectual. I tighten up, and I can't be in the moment as easily. For ISFPs, this can result in depression (not enough Se) or for INFPs, anxiety/tension/stress problems (not enough Ne and context).

I've worked hard to be able to let it go, and stay in the game. Your words are truly important, bro. I'm going to post them next to my desk at work.
    You are very welcome. My INFJ wife has similar battles as you have described, so I understand where you are coming from. It's definitely an effort to do things to the right level of perfection/completeness without taking away from oterh priorities. For me, only when I am very busy am I able to truly do everything just to the right degree, and thus keep all in balance. If I get slow I am guilty of sitting on things and doing too much on them. That's why I stay so busy all the time.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro