User Tag List

View Poll Results: In how many organizations/associations are you having a membership?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • none

6 42.86%

2 14.29%
  • 2-5

5 35.71%
  • 5-8

0 0%
  • more than 8

1 7.14%
12 Last

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Organizations/Social activity

Today when I edited my profile at one website, I had to write down organizations and associations where I'm taking part as a member, after counting all of them I could hardly get 4 organizations and 1 association. And 3 of those 5 I've joined recently.
    I'm not sure, if the number of organizations where you're actively participating in is an adequate and important measurement of social activity, but in my opinion it definitely is one of the criteria that matters and gives you some benefits too fx meeting new people with similar interests or ideas and a nice thing to add to your resume. How about you, do you join organizations or associations and why you do or why you don't?
    Oh yeah?

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by theaferist View Post
    How about you, do you join organizations or associations and why you do or why you don't?
    No. I guess I have commitment issues, I always feel too suffocated or bound by obligation that I immediately want to start fighting against it to break free when the possibility of joining some organizations or associations comes up. I always feel like I'd have to agree with everything they stand for and that is just impossible for me to do because if I don't feel it 100%, it's mostly meaningless to associate myself with them, I would feel like a fake. So, I don't join them.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    No. I guess I have commitment issues, I always feel too suffocated or bound by obligation that I immediately want to start fighting against it to break free when the possibility of joining some organizations or associations comes up. I always feel like I'd have to agree with everything they stand for and that is just impossible for me to do because if I don't feel it 100%, it's mostly meaningless to associate myself with them, I would feel like a fake. So, I don't join them.
    Pretty much the same... Not into dogma or commitment.

garbage

Aside from the professional organizations, I've usually got a meeting with a different 'social' organization every night of the week--life groups, dance clubs, pool teams, volunteer-based organizations, and so on. I tend to change them up once in a while when better opportunities arise. Many of them are organizations that I could leave tomorrow if I wanted to.

For me, it's mostly about just being out there and connected with other people and things going on around town, learning about new things, and reaching out and networking. Some of them are good for the resume, too.

I don't mind taking responsibility in an organization if it's something that I'm very interested in or know a lot about, but I don't feel the need to take on leadership positions or other deep commitments in every single one of them. Ironically, I find that if I'm in charge or responsible, I get the flexibility that I wouldn't have if I were just a member.

I usually maintain some connection to the people in the organizations I've left. I run into them when I'm out and about, we hang out once in a while, or I end up crossing that organization again.

I understand the need to connect to the overall 'mission' of an organization, which can mean a desire to agree with the other members on everything. Fortunately, some organizations are more 'surface level' than others, so you don't get too deep into each others' personal lives--there's less of a feeling of needing to fit in or compromise deep-seated personal values.

There's one deeply Christian organization I belong to that does good work and has good meaningful discussion, but I'm continually thinking of ditching it because of the nagging feeling that I'm lying to myself by even being a part of it. I'll cross that bridge when it becomes too much to handle.

In contrast, Christianity is a basis for some of the other organizations that I belong to, but it's not a major focus. Therefore, I don't have to compromise my religious stances in order to belong to them.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

When I was at uni in Dublin the campus had a massive student community with dozens of organisations, clubs and societies, I think I was an active member of like twelve of them but mainly those which were activities which I reckon I'd not get a chance to try again like caving and potholing.

Generally I'll undertake a club membership for the purpose of the club, for instance I joined an archery club for a while to learn archery but quit when the social side didnt hold up and it looked like I wasnt going to get any better or be enabled to do so.

I went through a period when I'd seen the movie Yes Man! of joining just about anything, it had some social pluses but proved to be prohibitively expensive in the end. Some of the clubs and societies I've been member of, for instance a gym, arent really social activities or social occasions, you go and work out and that's it. Goal orientated.

MBTI
    INFP

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I belong to two, one professional, and one social.

I am active in neither.

I am an ardent individualist, and have no issues whatsoever at conjuring a social life whenever I have time for one, so I like to keep my commitments in check, and maximize my personal freedom.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I less-than-faithfully attend a local Salvation Army chapel, but am not an official member of the congregation or organization.

I am still probably an absentee member of an Assemblies of God church. Not sure which the last one I actually did the paperwork for.

I don't have a huge problem with the creeds of either group on paper, it's just that I find the political/attitude aspects of both groups irl kind of counter to my own and annoying as heck.

I am a 'friends of' member of a local neighborhood association. It's not a neighborhood association like you'd have in a subdivision. It's an activist group to try to get law-enforcement, animal control, street department, etc to do their jobs in an inner-city area that is often overlooked. I try to get to as many of the monthly meetings as I can and if bodies are needed to show up at a city council meeting or something, I try to get myself and as many people as I can there.

I am also a member of a group that was formed to help keep my two middle kids' middle school open -- it's located in the inner-city area mentioned above and the school superintendent wants to pack the kids off to a couple of financially better-off schools so he can dilute their standardized test scores and convert the building into an administration building for the school corporation. We have a temporary reprieve because the district can't spend the money to enlarge the other school buildings due to the recession, but I was regularly attending monthly school board meetings for at least six months.

I'd like to do more activist stuff, but family obligations keep me too occupied for the time being.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

None of course.