User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who has the "more" annoying accent?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • "posh" Cambridge accent

10 12.20%
  • Cockney London accent

11 13.41%
  • Scottish accent

3 3.66%
  • Irish accent

2 2.44%
  • Aussie accent

10 12.20%
  • Canadian accent

4 4.88%
  • Yankee accent (US)

8 9.76%
  • Southern (Texan) accent (US)

23 28.05%
  • Caribbean accent

11 13.41%
First 1927282930 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I like the word yankee better. It has an easier ring to it.
    "Yankee Doodle Dandy", sounds pretty good to me.

MBTI
    ENTP

Welsh by far....

Actually there have been studies about such things...

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

Londoners, whatever their accent is (cockney? but not only) annoy me and I usually don't understand what they say. Although I have to say Bristol accent is even worse.
    Second most annoying would be yankee.
    I find Carribean super annoying too.

My favourite would be posh British accent (Cambridge), followed closely by Scottish, Irish and a nice Southern Drawl.

People say Brummies sound stupid, but they sound nice and intelligible to me.
    Aussie accent is very nice too.
    NiFiTeSe
    4w5 so/sp
    I 77% E 23%
    N 85% S 15%
    T 51% F 49%
    J 60% P 40%
    average of many test results combined

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    The Canadians that pronounce about like uh-bewt. It makes me rage.
    1). Ok, firstly, I'm from the southern-Canadian region, born and raised, and I have never [not once] heard anyone pronounce 'about' like 'uh-bewt' or 'a boot' as I commonly hear depicted with [particularly] American stand-up comedians. It actually makes *me* rage when people accuse Canadians of this.

2). I've have been told by a non-Canadian, that I am for the most part virtually 'accent-less' with a little funny something to be heard when I say things like 'mouse' or 'house.' I personally don't hear it, but I don't think it's an 'ooo' sound. I don't say it like 'moose or hoose.' I have picked up on, however, that no one around here really says the second 'T' in Toronto which can be a little strange I guess. Making it sound more like 'Torrano,' but I think it's more laziness than anything.

3). Overall I find thick, southern American accents the most annoying.

4). I really enjoy the sound of the posh/cockney British accent, they're also a lot of fun to imitate. <3
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII

Of the options listed here, the Caribbean accent, though closely followed by the Southern one (unless spoken by a particularly attractive Southern belle, such as the present girlfriend). They simply grate on my ears. The accent that I find most annoying overall, however, is chav-ese.

I like every accent. Like handwriting styles... I like it all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

I live in Kentucky and it kills me when I hear, far tar...("Fire tower" in appalachian american)
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

...what does a yankee sound like? I'm guessing that's just the 'normal' American accent?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    1). Ok, firstly, I'm from the southern-Canadian region, born and raised, and I have never [not once] heard anyone pronounce 'about' like 'uh-bewt' or 'a boot' as I commonly hear depicted with [particularly] American stand-up comedians. It actually makes *me* rage when people accuse Canadians of this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising

Individuals who speak with Canadian raising will frequently be baffled by reports that they are being perceived as saying "aboot" or more precisely "a boat." However, such people can note the difference in pronunciation between words with and without Canadian raising: "house" (verb) and "house" (noun), "lies" and "lice," etc.

Perhaps the most common example of Canadian raising in everyday speech is that to non-Canadians "out" is heard pronounced the same as "oat." This means that the vowels in the phrase "out and about in a boat" have all the same sound, rendering them as "oat and aboat in a boat."

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post

2). I've have been told by a non-Canadian, that I am for the most part virtually 'accent-less' with a little funny something to be heard when I say things like 'mouse' or 'house.'
    It's not so much that Canadians (more specifically those in Ontario and parts east) say 'a-boot', it's just the closest sound the average American can compare it to. The sound you make when saying the 'ou' in house doesn't, for lack of a better term, exist in American English.

To them the 'ou' in house, mouse, out, about, etc. rhymes with 'ow' (cow, how, brow, etc.). Canadians don't pronounce them the same, and Americans can (and will) pick up on that. You don't realize it, you don't even think about, but trust me: Canadians definitely do have their own spin on the 'ou' diphthong.

Actually, we have more than one spin on it. Western Canadians (like me) say 'about' in an entirely different way (which sounds a little closer to a General American accent, but not quite).

Everybody has an accent. It's true that Canadian accents (at least, Ontario and points west...) are relatively 'neutral', in that English speakers from almost anywhere have no problem readily understanding it, but you still have one.