User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who has the "more" annoying accent?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • "posh" Cambridge accent

    10 12.20%
  • Cockney London accent

    11 13.41%
  • Scottish accent

    3 3.66%
  • Irish accent

    2 2.44%
  • Aussie accent

    10 12.20%
  • Canadian accent

    4 4.88%
  • Yankee accent (US)

    8 9.76%
  • Southern (Texan) accent (US)

    23 28.05%
  • Caribbean accent

    11 13.41%
First 152324252627 Last

Results 241 to 250 of 291

  1. #241
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    By attempting to avoid the trap, you fell right into it!
    Possibly!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  2. #242
    ..... Intricate Mystic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    599

    Default

    This isn't really an accent, but I find Castillian Spanish to be extremely annoying because it sounds like the person is speaking with a lisp and makes them sound retarded. (Apologies to those who speak this way! )

  3. #243
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I shall say it again and again:

    When I meant "Yankee accent", I meant the accent you hear in New England, and maybe in some corners of NYC.

    That's all.

    ---

    If you have another definition (Vermont?), then please, explain it to me.
    Well if you meant a Noreastern accent, ya shoulda said so!

    Too many people here know you're a Frenchmen and too many Americans know that too many foreigners like to call all American Yankees. And in the United States the word "Yankee" means a gajillion different things depending on who you ask (see Peguy's quote) so if you say "Yankee" accent, because YOU'RE saying it it sounds like you mean General American/Midland accent.

    Capiche?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  4. #244
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well if you meant a Noreastern accent, ya shoulda said so!
    I said so and I thought it was pretty obvious.

    Too many people here know you're a Frenchmen and too many Americans know that too many foreigners like to call all American Yankees. And in the United States the word "Yankee" means a gajillion different things depending on who you ask (see Peguy's quote) so if you say "Yankee" accent, because YOU'RE saying it it sounds like you mean General American/Midland accent.

    Capiche?
    The mistake is yours (as asual).

    You presumed things I already knew.

    ---

    And it's not the sole mistake you made here, but still, it seems you didn't learn.
    It's exactly when you assumed there was a specific form of South African English, when in fact, genuine English speakers represent such a tiny minority it's not even worth bothering about them. And it's declining.

    Look at this:

    File:South Africa English speakers proportion map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  5. #245
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    The mistake is yours (as asual).

    You presumed things I already knew.
    Bah. You usually don't need to specify "US" after Yankee, people already know -- or are there a bunch of other Yankees that we don't know about? It looked like you said "Yankee" and in case people didn't know you meant "US"... the accent that is dominant in the US. Midland.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #246
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post

    And it's not the sole mistake you made here, but still, it seems you didn't learn.
    It's exactly when you assumed there was a specific form of South African English, when in fact, genuine English speakers represent such a tiny minority it's not even worth bothering about them. And it's declining.

    Look at this:

    File:South Africa English speakers proportion map.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Perhaps I was thinking differently because of my South African English-speaking friends?

    And you told me African French was the same when another French guy said it was different.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  7. #247
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well if you meant a Noreastern accent, ya shoulda said so!

    Too many people here know you're a Frenchmen and too many Americans know that too many foreigners like to call all American Yankees. And in the United States the word "Yankee" means a gajillion different things depending on who you ask (see Peguy's quote) so if you say "Yankee" accent, because YOU'RE saying it it sounds like you mean General American/Midland accent.

    Capiche?
    Actually it was Jenocyde who quoted that. But thanks for thinking of me anyways.

  8. #248
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Actually it was Jenocyde who quoted that. But thanks for thinking of me anyways.
    Oh, Peguy, I'm always thinking of you.

    ...I've had a rough week.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #249
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    That's ok. Besides we dont wanna make Blackmail! jealous.

  10. #250
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Bah. You usually don't need to specify "US" after Yankee, people already know -- or are there a bunch of other Yankees that we don't know about? It looked like you said "Yankee" and in case people didn't know you meant "US"... the accent that is dominant in the US. Midland.
    1/ I also labelled Texan accent "US". So this doesn't fit with your theory.

    2/ That's gross American chauvinism. As a matter of fact, I labelled every accent in my poll but you didn't complain about it, or didn't noticed it. For instance, I said "London Cockney", even if it's slightly tautological, even if having said "Cockney" could have been enough.

    3/ I also already knew about Midwestern American, even if some of your fellow men don't seem to agree with it (just because a French said so?). See for instance my 2cents in the thread started by Elaur.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] E's dating I's...who has the bigger sacrifice?
    By 2XtremeENFP in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 05:28 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 09:18 PM
  3. Who has the hottest accent?
    By Queen Kat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
  4. Who has the highest average number of posts per day
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM
  5. Who has the sexiest avatar?
    By wolfy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO