User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who has the "more" annoying accent?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • "posh" Cambridge accent

10 12.20%
  • Cockney London accent

11 13.41%
  • Scottish accent

3 3.66%
  • Irish accent

2 2.44%
  • Aussie accent

10 12.20%
  • Canadian accent

4 4.88%
  • Yankee accent (US)

8 9.76%
  • Southern (Texan) accent (US)

23 28.05%
  • Caribbean accent

11 13.41%
First 132122232425 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Besides we need a new poll based on this:

[YOUTUBE="3UgpfSp2t6k"]21 English Accents[/YOUTUBE]
    Her "German" and "French" accents sound extremely fake. I know some stand-up comedians that fake it better.

She obviously doesn't know how to properly speak French.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

...and don't get me started on her "Brooklyn" accent.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Anyway.

I shall reply to Elaur and many others who complained about my choices.

Even if you judge me guilty in advance, let me explain the circumstances that shrouded this tragic little affair, and let's see if I can benefit from mitigating ones.

1/ You should be aware that I wasn't serious at all. As a matter of fact, I created this thread as a light-hearted joke directed against Peguy. After all, this a bonfire thread, not a political or a philosophical one. So yes, I know I am subjective, but I hoped nonetheless that most readers would understand why, and possibly forgive me.

2/ I was wondering if I had to use the 16 slots. Unfortunately, I have often noticed that a very large choice often prevents us to clearly notice trends and tendencies. Thus, I decided to restrict the poll to a dozen choices, at most: we should not divide our efforts amongst too many different tasks. And I idn't expect this thread and its poll to become so popular.

3/ At first glance, I thought to include at least 5 or 6 US variants. And even then, we're far from the incredible variety of accents you may hear during a single day if you travel in a total metropolis like NYC. If you visit the streets of Chinatow, little Italy, Chelsea, the Lower East side, Brooklyn, Harlem, New Jersey... etc... people don't speak the same way, and I find that phenomena wonderful. And you can say the same with London (UK). Unfortunately, we were far beyond the limit discussed in point (2).
    I have also often noticed during many threads here that our American friends are most of the time extremely self-centered, and tend to ignore, either voluntarily or by ignorance, the rest of the world, anything that they do not consider American. And thus I feared that if I included such diversity of choices, the poll would instantly turn into a contest between US accents only, and the thread into a US-only debate. I feared that the majority of our American friends would vote for US accents only, the neighbours they find the more annoying, and lazily ignore the rest of the world.
    And somehow, you can see I wasn't that wrong on that prediction.

It wasn't easy to handle that issue, I recognize it, and yes, I may have been subjective and a little too harsh when I applied my preventive restriction policy.

4/ Because we were here to elect the most annoying English accent, I also decided to only mention those that clearly standed out of the ordinary. To include a "neutral" accent wouldn't have been very logical.
    For instance, I mentioned two extremes in England, even if I'm aware that the vast majority of Englishmen don't speak Cockney or "posh" English, but something very different.
    I followed the same logic with the USA. And hence, I only mentioned extreme or opposite accents: Yankee (New Englander) and Texan.
    For instance, it wouldn't have been very interesting to mention Californian or Midlands accents, because they are far less extreme and "more balanced".

5/ And yes, that's true, but genuine US accents, despite their variety, despite the large number of people who speak them... are more homogenous that what many Americans seem to think, especially for a foreign ear. They can all be identified as "American" almost instantly: guess why!

6/ And finally, about Ebonics, yes, this is the one I regret not to have included. But then, I could have created a light controversy, especially because it singles Black people out, even if they don't speak the same way if you meet some in urban Harlem (NY) or in the middle of rural Alabama.
    So somehow, "Ebonics" sounded like a very artificial and controversial creation. I didn't know how to properly handle it, so I lazily discarded it. And besides, we're in Bonfire.

---

So now, if the court judges me guilty, then so be it!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

I've heard Ebonics is derived from a certain Gaelic dialect, my guess would be Black Country English(and not because of the name).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Oh, I forgot to add the Long Island Jewish accent to my list of dislike, and to add Jamaican sing songy Patois to my list of loves. Actually, I love all sing songy accents from anywhere in the Caribbean or Ireland or Wales.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I've heard Ebonics is derived from a certain Gaelic dialect, my guess would be Black Country English(and not because of the name).
    Very true, as is Caribbean Patois.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

is for Victoria, our Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I have also often noticed during many threads here that our American friends are most of the time extremely self-centered, and tend to ignore, either voluntarily or by ignorance, the rest of the world, anything that they do not consider American. And thus I feared that if I included such diversity of choices, the poll would instantly turn into a choice betwen US accents only, and the thread into a US-only debate. I feared that the majority of our American friends would vote for US accents only, the neighbours they find the more anoying, and lazily ignore the rest of the world.
    And somehow, you can see I wasn't that wrong on that prediction.
    By attempting to avoid the trap, you fell right into it!

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Very true, as is Caribbean Patois.
    I wouldnt doubt it. As I demonstrated with this example earlier in the thread:

On a related note: Gospel Music originated in Scotland:
    "They have always assumed that this form of worship came from Africa," Professor Ruff, an Afro-American professor of music, said. "Black Americans have lived under a misconception. Our cultural roots are more Afro-Gaelic than Afro-American. Just look at the Harlem telephone book, it's more like Edinburgh or the book for the North Uists...I have been to Africa many times in search of my cultural identity, but it was in the Highlands that I found the cultural roots of black America."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Americans usually like foreign accents. This is voting for the accent you DON'T like. I still don't understand why we have to dislike non-American accents to show we aren't American centered.

This reminds me of when I debate with people and their response to what I say is "you think you are RIGHT!" Well, obviously I shouldn't be defending a stance that I agree with. "Americans are American centered..." Ok, and that's wrong how?

I really like african accents and I agree about the sing-songy accents, very nice indeed.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that you know you're history!

Yes, one day I should start a thread about imperialism and its vast reaches and influences.

Alas, I'm lazy.