User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who has the "more" annoying accent?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • "posh" Cambridge accent

10 12.20%
  • Cockney London accent

11 13.41%
  • Scottish accent

3 3.66%
  • Irish accent

2 2.44%
  • Aussie accent

10 12.20%
  • Canadian accent

4 4.88%
  • Yankee accent (US)

8 9.76%
  • Southern (Texan) accent (US)

23 28.05%
  • Caribbean accent

11 13.41%
First 111920212223 Last

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius does not know enough about non-British English accents, but the most annoying British English accent is Cockney or Estuary English; what is the deal with H-dropping and Th-fronting?

There are two dialects of the English language Falcarius can not understand: The First is West Midlands English, he nearly missed a train the other month as he can not understand anyone there. The second is Glaswegian, it is like a code language so no English people can understand them without a translator. They don't seem to speak Standard Scottish English (whatever that is) in Glasgow. It sounds like it is made up of a cross between street talk, Cockney, nicknames of places that seem to have no sense, and some sort of non-Cockney rhyming slang which is only known by criminals.

Falcarius' favourite British accent is West Country accent, because he thinks it sounds like pirate speak crossed between farmer talk. The Yorkshire accent is pretty amusing as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Truth is, pretending that "history" somehow makes all American accents "not different enough" but somehow all european english accents are "different from each other" doesn't make much sense. Like someone said (haphazard?) the Americas were settled by different explorers coming from different countries. Why would our accents sound the same? If we are going to go with "history" it would cause you to actually include the different accents, wouldn't it? Rather than rail about how american's are america centered.

The explorers are actually the reason Mexico and South America use Spanish rather than English. How about Portuguese in Brazil? Or are those all the same accent as the US too?

And, like haphazard said, we are just wanting to vote against irritating American accents. It's not like there is some grand point to this thread. It started with negativity anyway. It's actually pretty pathetic.
    Yes, it is amazing how the very people who come here to harp about Americans not having a sense of history and being ethnocentric will start telling us all about our history and culture without even knowing that much about it (well if they do, they don't show it).

It just goes to show, enthnocentrism is not just a failing of Americans. It's a human trait.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    There are two dialects of the English language Falcarius can not understand: The First is West Midlands English, he nearly missed a train the other month as he can not understand anyone there. The second is Glaswegian, it is like a code language so no English people can understand them without a translator. They don't seem to speak Standard Scottish English (whatever that is) in Glasgow. It sounds like it is made up of a cross between street talk, Cockney, nicknames of places that seem to have no sense, and some sort of non-Cockney rhyming slang which is only known by criminals.
    Bananatrombones has not the faintest "scooby" why Falcarius cannot adapt his immense intellect to uncovering the mysteries that lie to the north of the Wall of Hadrian . Trombones can only assume Falcarius' frustration may lie in an absence of "Nat King Cole" and suggests that he lay off the "electric soup" and aquire a "click" for the purposes of consumating said Mr Cole. Or move to Polomint City, which can be mistaken for any new town south of the aforementioned Wall of Hadrian.

Scooby dooby doo.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Half of my family is from the southwest; we're Spaniards!
    Exactly, this is my family as well. We're not Yankee's, we're hot latinas

I have a bit of a Spanish accent when I get lazy and don't try to enunciate my words. But it's more of a Mexican accent because I lived on the border for so long. If my father would have raised me with his first language, I'd have a deep Puerto Rican accent. But I didn't so.... Oh well!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    We don't have accents here in lower Michigan. We all sound like US news anchors. Every one of us.
    Like Guillermo Arduino you mean?

Anyway, I talk just like that guy, Arduino, the weather forecast guy for CNN.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Truth is, pretending that "history" somehow makes all American accents "not different enough" but somehow all european english accents are "different from each other" doesn't make much sense. Like someone said (haphazard?) the Americas were settled by different explorers coming from different countries. Why would our accents sound the same? If we are going to go with "history" it would cause you to actually include the different accents, wouldn't it? Rather than rail about how american's are america centered.
    I agree with the spirit of what you are saying, but the reality of the homogoneous nature of American english is considered a cultural oddity.

There is interesting reading on this in "Made in America" which spends a lot of time looking at the background to english dialects in north america, and the speedy way with which incoming cultures were assimilated, often in LESS than a generation, to create a strangely homogenous sound. Its written by Bill Bryson (who's from Iowa but lived in the UK too). It's a good read and interesting as it doesnt carry any of the "patriotism" being carried in this thread (anti american, europeanism, old colonialism).

MBTI
    ISFJ

The french.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's a good read and interesting as it doesnt carry any of the "patriotism" being carried in this thread (anti american, europeanism, old colonialism).
    Exactly! I don't mind hearing about how language developed and accents, I just don't like to hear people disguising an agenda as a discussion.

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

whatever this is:
    [youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtmSY3u9CUM"]"when you speak like this how do you not stab yourself?"[/youtube]