User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who has the "more" annoying accent?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • "posh" Cambridge accent

10 12.20%
  • Cockney London accent

11 13.41%
  • Scottish accent

3 3.66%
  • Irish accent

2 2.44%
  • Aussie accent

10 12.20%
  • Canadian accent

4 4.88%
  • Yankee accent (US)

8 9.76%
  • Southern (Texan) accent (US)

23 28.05%
  • Caribbean accent

11 13.41%
First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In a class ridden society you only have to listen to someone's accent to know their class.

And people will change their accent as they change their class.

And so one's ear becomes exquisitely tuned to the nuances of accent for one's livelihood as well as one's status depends on it.

Oz, though, moved in exactly the opposite direction, and although we came from a class ridden society, we flattened all the class accents into two - educated and broad.

And although I am a sixth generation Australian, I was raised to speak in an upper middle class accent. Then I went to boarding school where my lovely class accent was beaten out of me. So now I can't help speaking Strine* like every other Ozzie from the Pacific to the Indian Ocean, from near the equator, to deep in the Antarctic Ocean.

But still, secretly, I long to hear the dulcet tones and am putty in the hands of any girl who speaks in an upper middle class accent, particularly if they say, "shall". I shall do this or I shall do that, I shall. Anyone who says, "shall", I shall shilly-shall with from dawn to dusk.

* Strine: the English language as spoken by Australians.
    The Australians I knwo certainly explaiend to me how Australia is "class-ridden" just like every other capitalist society. It may be slightly less uinequal than the US (not hard) but this doesn't make it an egalitarian country. The very fact that boarding schools exist along state schools should tell you that!

Regarding annoying accents though: Estuary English is annoying, and its the accent I speak in English. It is not the same as cockney, and it is horrible...second only to a "posh" accent in terms of annoyance.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Truth is, pretending that "history" somehow makes all American accents "not different enough" but somehow all european english accents are "different from each other" doesn't make much sense. Like someone said (haphazard?) the Americas were settled by different explorers coming from different countries. Why would our accents sound the same? If we are going to go with "history" it would cause you to actually include the different accents, wouldn't it? Rather than rail about how american's are america centered.

The explorers are actually the reason Mexico and South America use Spanish rather than English. How about Portuguese in Brazil? Or are those all the same accent as the US too?

And, like haphazard said, we are just wanting to vote against irritating American accents. It's not like there is some grand point to this thread. It started with negativity anyway. It's actually pretty pathetic.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Truth is, pretending that "history" somehow makes all American accents "not different enough" but somehow all european english accents are "different from each other" doesn't make much sense. Like someone said (haphazard?) the Americas were settled by different explorers coming from different countries. Why would our accents sound the same? If we are going to go with "history" it would cause you to actually include the different accents, wouldn't it? Rather than rail about how american's are america centered.
    If we are going by "history," one would divide the USA into "east" (east coast/south) and "west" (everything else) because the accents of the "east" have British roots while the "west" (General American accent) has more German influences.

But no, Blackmail decided to single out the South. I wonder why.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I like Texas accent. Especially on females (especially Texas females with big boobs who hate country music).

However I did always hate George Bush Jr's. (and Snr's for that matter) accent.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Once again, the US aren't the center of the English-speaking world. Ask any foreigner, I'm sure (s)he'll tell you quite the same story.
    Pfft! We're the center of the world, period!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Besides we need a new poll based on this:

[YOUTUBE="3UgpfSp2t6k"]21 English Accents[/YOUTUBE]

Dali

No offense but (don't you just love that preamble?) I find the "surfer dude" accent to be like nails on a chalkboard. The first time I heard it in real life, I was a little surprised for a couple of minutes thinking "people do actually talk like that?"

A distant second would be the Filipino accent.

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    However I did always hate George Bush Jr's. (and Snr's for that matter) accent.
    They're kind of posers anyways. Their family has a lot ties to New England. GW is originally from Connecticut. George Sr. is from Massachusetts.

[edit] Speaking of which, I'm a poser myself. From Hawaii originally. Where's the choice for Hawaiian Pidgin?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    We're Yankees, they are Tories.

But not all Yankees nor Tories have the same accent.
    Half of my family is from the southwest; we're Spaniards!

The English did not colonize all of what makes up the current US....so how could we all be "yankees"....

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Like someone said (haphazard?) the Americas were settled by different explorers coming from different countries. Why would our accents sound the same?
    Exactly.

And, like haphazard said, we are just wanting to vote against irritating American accents. It's not like there is some grand point to this thread. It started with negativity anyway. It's actually pretty pathetic.
    I know - give me the chance to vote against those annoying New Jersey accents!
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP

New Zealand and South Africans accents for me. It's a rugby thing.

[YOUTUBE="ZdVHZwI8pcA"]Imagine this accent jeering at your 23rd knock-on[/YOUTUBE]