User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who has the "more" annoying accent?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • "posh" Cambridge accent

10 12.20%
  • Cockney London accent

11 13.41%
  • Scottish accent

3 3.66%
  • Irish accent

2 2.44%
  • Aussie accent

10 12.20%
  • Canadian accent

4 4.88%
  • Yankee accent (US)

8 9.76%
  • Southern (Texan) accent (US)

23 28.05%
  • Caribbean accent

11 13.41%
First 91011121321 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think Americans say "roof" funny. They sound like they're making dog noises.
    They do? Are you sure that's not just the old people?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Texas= Kitchen sink

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Only to people who's ear will detect it as they are local.

I believe I would be totally unable to tell them apart, even if I was told they were different, and heard them one after another.
    People in the south have a heavy Tex-Mex thing going on.. You could definitely tell. It's more Latino-ish.

Everywhere else it's just variations of McCounaghey above

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    They do? Are you sure that's not just the old people?
    How do you/others in your community pronounce that word?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    People in the south have a heavy Tex-Mex thing going on.. You could definitely tell. It's more Latino-ish.

Everywhere else it's just variations of McCounaghey above
    Nope.. I couldnt really tell you californian from texan from bostonian.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    How do you/others in your community pronounce that word?
    "Roof" like "Roofies". I have heard people say "Ruff" around here, but I have never heard anybody under the age of 40 say it.

Nope.. I couldnt really tell you californian from texan from bostonian.
    Ah.. I didn't look to see where you were from. Other Americans could probably distinguish between Texans though.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Only to people who's ear will detect it as they are local.

I believe I would be totally unable to tell them apart, even if I was told they were different, and heard them one after another.
    Actually, like KDude said, it's pretty different. If I can find a sufficient video on the different accents, I'll put it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Canada has pretty distinctive geographical accents - most Americans assume that we all speak like we're from where they go holidaying in Ontario. That's like saying that all Americans speak like Jimmy Swaggert or something.

Newfoundlanders have a very strong Irish/English dialects, to the point of having different grammar and many completely different expressions that other Canadians don't use (and in some cases don't even understand). Many English Newfoundlanders put Hs on the beginning of vowel words and take them off H words. Generally Newfies talk a lot faster than the rest of us and when you get a group of them together it sometimes is hard to even understand them.

Nova Scotians from Cape Breton are extremely twangy and are almost all of Scottish and/or French origin. New Brunswickers are extremely influenced by Quebec and French influence. Prince Edward Islanders are kind of down homey and use expressions like, "Where are yous from?" and even within that island there's a wide variety of Irish, French and English. The Prairies are populated with people from all different countries, but there's a lot of German, Slavic and UK influences. Native people speak completely differently yet and have their own expressions and words that are reflective of English having been a second language in the not so distant past as well as their own subculture that is very different that "white" society's. Within Ontario and Quebec the accent varies considerably and both places have much more immigration and cultural diversity. BC is different again. These are of course generalizations, but it bothers me that Americans tend to lump us all in together as one group when each part of the country is extremely different culturally and linguistically.

Just as New Englanders would have very different ways of communicating and presenting themselves compared to say Texans or to West Coasters, Canada also does (and many Canadians do not necessarily identify with Ontario or want to be equated with it!)

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Canada has pretty distinctive geographical accents - most Americans assume that we all speak like we're from where they go holidaying in Ontario. That's like saying that all Americans speak like Jimmy Swaggert or something.

Newfoundlanders have a very strong Irish/English dialects, to the point of having different grammar and many completely different expressions that other Canadians don't use (and in some cases don't even understand). Many English Newfoundlanders put Hs on the beginning of vowel words and take them off H words. Generally Newfies talk a lot faster than the rest of us and when you get a group of them together it sometimes is hard to even understand them.

Nova Scotians from Cape Breton are extremely twangy and are almost all of Scottish and/or French origin. New Brunswickers are extremely influenced by Quebec and French influence. Prince Edward Islanders are kind of down homey and use expressions like, "Where are yous from?" and even within that island there's a wide variety of Irish, French and English. The Prairies are populated with people from all different countries, but there's a lot of German, Slavic and UK influences. Native people speak completely differently yet and have their own expressions and words that are reflective of English having been a second language in the not so distant past as well as their own subculture that is very different that "white" society's. Within Ontario and Quebec the accent varies considerably and both places have much more immigration and cultural diversity. BC is different again. These are of course generalizations, but it bothers me that Americans tend to lump us all in together as one group when each part of the country is extremely different culturally and linguistically.

Just as New Englanders would have very different ways of communicating and presenting themselves compared to say Texans or to West Coasters, Canada also does (and many Canadians do not necessarily identify with Ontario or want to be equated with it!)
    Shut up! Canada isn't allowed to have different accents any more than the United States does!