User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Boycotting holidays - could you be more lame?

I've always felt like the whole "boycotting holidays evil card companies made up" has to be one of the stupidest things I hear. Seriously? It's not like the people just don't celebrate it, often people make big deals about those big bad companies making up a holiday to exploit people! oh em gee!

No matter how much I talk to people about it I really don't follow the concept of it. Maybe holidays are big deals to these people so it's a big offense to have some random fun day added?

Explain this to me please. Thanks.

(Try to refrain from the normal cliche answers, I really want to get why people are against it.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

*shrug* I figure I can celebrate whatever I want and have whatever fun I want, regardless of who did or did not create the holiday. (To do otherwise is giving control to someone else.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

I agree (w/ OP).

Holidays have always been my favorite. I guess I don't see what the big deal is because I come from a very anti-consumerist family. There is no exchange of presents on Christmas. Thanksgiving and Christmas are when my huge family gets together for dinner to create moments we can gossip about with good humor for the rest of the year.

I've never been a card-giver, and scoffed at it, but now I give my SO a card every chance I get! Christmas, Birthdays, AA Birthdays, Valentine's day, whatever. You see, the cards were meaningless before, because I was forced to send them by my mom. This is different, because it comes from the heart.

With my kids, Christmas will still carry my family's values of food and family, but I will get to add my own part, which will be gifts. If only one or two for each person.

MBTI
    SEXY

I like holidays, though valentines day annoyed me this year, but that's a different story.

On the other hand, the reason for a holiday should be good. In most of the world people have santa-claus with christmas. That comes from the dutch holiday of sinterklaas (saint nicolas), but over here it isn't celebrated at christmas but on the 5th of december. I have no idea why, nor do I understand why this particular saint got his own holiday.

There's also saint-martinus (11th november) which is kind of our trick or treat day. Again, I have no idea why this particular saint gets his own holiday.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I've actually wondered if it's people who have had bad associations with holidays, like they didn't give the "right" stuff one year and got pissed off that they were yelled at?

Wink

So... you didn't get anything for Valentine's Day, and now you're going to take it out on all of us, huh?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I hate fake holidays. Fake, as in, the holiday wouldn't be a big deal unless someone saw it as an opportunity to rope everyone into more consumerism.

St. Paddy's is excepted because we are talking about beer.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Well, the point of a holiday is to celebrate an ideal.

Perhaps the active boycotting of the holiday is meant as a logical response to that ideal.

The specific approach in which people protest is probably best correlated to the level of emotional ire they connect to the popular ideals of the holiday.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I hate fake holidays. Fake, as in, the holiday wouldn't be a big deal unless someone saw it as an opportunity to rope everyone into more consumerism.
    Isn't that life? Do you boycott TV? Driving because of billboards? Malls and stores because of ads? Seems arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Well, the point of a holiday is to celebrate an ideal.
    This might be what I see as a big part of it. There are only true holidays (i.e. ideals) and we should stick to those. (<-- theory that might cause someone to feel that way)

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    St. Paddy's is excepted because we are talking about beer.
    Now there's a saint I can associate with.
    (removed)