Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    It's filler. Like talking about the weather.

I would think you(general or specific) would be able to make up a better answer than "boycott!!!!!!!1111" though.
    I don't like making people feel bad.

Most of the time.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think it's just people being reminded of what they don't have, like a valentines' day, and taking a sort of victimized stance in regard to being reminded of it. Or, being reminded that they have a shitty family they hate hanging out with, and figured they wouldn't have to see if them if it weren't for that god damn baby Jesus getting everyone in a tizzy.

Anyways, I think it's less to do with the holiday than it has to do with that person's life, and the holiday becomes the scapegoat.

As far as ignoring the consumerism, well, it's just kinda hard and in your face, isn't it? My kids complained because they got a small chocolate heart box instead of a big one, some skittles to boot, AND a little gift, like their neighbor friends got! wtf? My other friend gives her kids pretty big gifts AND a shitload of candy for Easter. wtf? If that's not consumerism, I don't know what is. It's ridiculous. Xmas, Vday, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, birthdays. It's like every 2 months there's some huge excuse to give kids a ton of candy and a bunch of gifts. I'm all for celebrating, but these people don't have family get togethers, they just go to Target and spend money and their kids get fatter.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP

Eh, it's like anything else, sometimes people just like to be cynical about stuff. For some, it makes them feel smarter or more special. Some people genuinely don't like being expected or obligated to participate in something on a prescribed day of the year. I don't mind celebrating birthdays and holidays, but I'm not married to doing something on that specific day if it works out better for everyone to do it two weeks later.

I do get a little annoyed when I go in Wal-Mart or CVS in August and there's Halloween stuff out already. It takes away the fun/specialness of the holiday if you can't escape it for three months out of the year. Likewise with Christmas carols. If I have to hear Christmas songs exclusively for a full 2 months every time I set foot in a store, I'm going to be a Grinch.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I do get a little annoyed when I go in Wal-Mart or CVS in August and there's Halloween stuff out already. It takes away the fun/specialness of the holiday if you can't escape it for three months out of the year. Likewise with Christmas carols. If I have to hear Christmas songs exclusively for a full 2 months every time I set foot in a store, I'm going to be a Grinch.

I was driving to a friend's house on Thanksgiving Eve and saw Christmas lights all over one of my neighbor's houses and about threw a fit.

....then I turned on the radio. It is a wonder I did not have a brain aneurysm when I heard what music was being played.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft