User Tag List

First 234

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It only exists outside of it.

The only way to be free of it is to come inside.

Does anybody else get this feeling?
    I get this feeling as well.

Americans never see the intrusion of our troops over-seas. If we had the opportunity to observe, then we may gain a new perspective.

On the other hand, the best way to observe any system is by being detached from it. For instance, when you are reading a book, you peer through the minds of the characters. You gain a clearer understanding of every character because you operate outside of the novel. But you must ask yourself, is it genuinely clearer, or is it only biased?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    Crikey!
    Indeed!

...I mean, Fuck Yeah!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well mate, that is what is happening to you here. When you join Central, you join the noosphere. And the noosphere is the whole sphere, not just the USA.

You are seen for what you are - Americans. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, black or white, male or female, Republican or Democrat, a school child or a middle aged women - all of you are Yankees.

Of course you resist this and insist on being treated as individuals. But extreme individualism is a just a Yankee dogma.

So the moment you enter the noosphere you are faced with a cognitive dissonance. And as all cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful, you seek to avoid it - you seek to Americanise the whole of the noosphere.

Eventually you will see this is not possible because you will run up against two old and increasingly powerful civilizations - the Chinese civilization and the Indian civilization.

At the moment of course you rule the roost, and this only comes at the price of knowing your place in the world.
    Funny because I thought individualism seemed to be a feature of democracy -you know the whole individual rights part. Also, what do you make of the people of Indian/Chinese/Asian heritage who are part of the United States or are you implying that the United States is all Caucasian or lacks diversity. The opposite of extreme individualism, the negatives of which are clear is the inability to see diversity and the lack of understanding that comes with it. If we refuse to acknowledge the parts and only want to see the whole, we fail understand how the whole works.

Hasn't the world suffered enough because colonialists saw everyone but themselves as 'the same' - all uncivilized barbarians that needed saving. The Cold war where either side consisted of a list of steretypes attached to an ideology. That helped, right? The lack of discernment is not an answer to extreme individualism.

If you're asking for people to step above themselves and recognize themselves as part of a greater whole than you have to recognize the different parts first. Else, there's no basis for a shared understanding, recognizing only our similarities ignores a big part of each of us that is different. We can revel in both - our shared traits and those that are different.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course you resist this and insist on being treated as individuals.
    I don't insist on it, but it would be nice. Sometimes I feel like there are certain expectations for how I should act or think because of my nationality. But, the thing is, I guess I don't act like the average American (whatever the hell that's supposed to be). Expections in general make me kind of anxious.
    So the moment you enter the noosphere you are faced with a cognitive dissonance. And as all cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful, you seek to avoid it - you seek to Americanise the whole of the noosphere.
    No. Absolutely. Not.

The "cognitive dissonance" isn't painful. It's uncomfortable at times, but I actually kind of enjoy it. It means I have stuff to work through, so I'm changing and improving.

I don't think the American way is the best, so I have no interest in Americanizing anything.

The point of this whole experience is that I want to change myself, not anybody else. I have no power to do that. And why would I want to?
    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    If you're asking for people to step above themselves and recognize themselves as part of a greater whole than you have to recognize the different parts first. Else, there's no basis for a shared understanding, recognizing only our similarities ignores a big part of each of us that is different. We can revel in both - our shared traits and those that are different.

I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining in my first post. I'm not. It's just a strange experience. I've never had to confront before, in such a concrete way, what it means to "be American". Yeah, a little uncomfortable, because it makes me a little more self-conscious. But really, I'm not complaining. This is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I lurve Japan.