User Tag List

First 1234 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    And the texans and the bible belt from the rest of the country.
    I would be really shocked if people outside the US were as concerned with the Bible Belt and its attitudes as people within the US are. I would think they would be more upset with the actions of our corporations and government.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My American-ness never really dawned on me until I started living outside the country.

Now I have to deal with and try to understand this part of my identity...and it's kind of uncomfortable.

It's hard to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I would be really shocked if people outside the US were as concerned with the Bible Belt and its attitudes as people within the US are. I would think they would be more upset with the actions of our corporations and government.
    Yes, definitely.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    My American-ness never really dawned on me until I started living outside the country.

Now I have to deal with and try to understand this part of my identity...and it's kind of uncomfortable.

It's hard to explain.
    Bingo! And thanks for sharing. I think as an immigrant in America and "third culture kid" I always had a foil for what "America/n" was. I do understand what it means to be a 'fish out of water' linguistically and culturally, but I can't fathom what that would be like to be an American, especially an American born black or white American and have that epiphany abroad. I think it really does blow minds to leave your context. You are really only something in relation to something else.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Well mate, that is what is happening to you here. When you join Central, you join the noosphere. And the noosphere is the whole sphere, not just the USA.

You are seen for what you are - Americans. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, black or white, male or female, Republican or Democrat, a school child or a middle aged women - all of you are Yankees.

Of course you resist this and insist on being treated as individuals. But extreme individualism is a just a Yankee dogma.

So the moment you enter the noosphere you are faced with a cognitive dissonance. And as all cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful, you seek to avoid it - you seek to Americanise the whole of the noosphere.

Eventually you will see this is not possible because you will run up against two old and increasingly powerful civilizations - the Chinese civilization and the Indian civilization.

At the moment of course you rule the roost, and this only comes at the price of knowing your place in the world.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well mate, that is what is happening to you here. When you join Central, you join the noosphere. And the noosphere is the whole sphere, not just the USA.

You are seen for what you are - Americans. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, black or white, male or female, Republican or Democrat, a school child or a middle aged women - all of you are Yankees.

Of course you resist this and insist on being treated as individuals. But extreme individualism is a just a Yankee dogma.

So the moment you enter the noosphere you are faced with a cognitive dissonance. And as all cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful, you seek to avoid it - you seek to Americanise the whole of the noosphere.

Eventually you will see this is not possible because you will run up against two old and increasingly powerful civilizations - the Chinese civilization and the Indian civilization.

At the moment of course you rule the roost, and this only comes at the price of knowing your place in the world.
    Oh my God, Victor, I didn't realize.

I'm sooooo, soooooo sorry for treating you like an individual. I didn't realize it was offending you so much. I need to start treating you like an Aussie right away. I'm sorry. I really am. Please forgive me.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Oh my God, Victor, I didn't realize.

I'm sooooo, soooooo sorry for treating you like an individual. I didn't realize it was offending you so much. I need to start treating you like an Aussie right away. I'm sorry. I really am. Please forgive me.
    That's all right mate, we all make mistakes.

But the important thing, mate, is not to make the same mistake twice.

Just remember mate, we are all mates together, one for all and all for one, and no mate left behind.

Right mate?

MBTI
    ENFJ

That's all right mate, we all make mistakes.

But the important thing, mate, is not to make the same mistake twice.

Just remember mate, we are all mates together, one for all and all for one, and no mate left behind.

Right mate?
    I need to like, invite you to a barbeque.

Only the problem is that I've never barbequed before. I hope that won't be a problem. I can try...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I need to like, invite you to a barbeque.

Only the problem is that I've never barbequed before. I hope that won't be a problem. I can try...
    All you need is a couple of Fosters and a fire starter and you'll be right, mate.

Sniffles

It's hard to explain.
    Not really. I can relate on some levels. Really odd story I tell you. :-/

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

All you need is a couple of Fosters and a fire starter and you'll be right, mate.
    Crikey!