User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If your identity crisis should get serious tho, I hope you know papa always has a strong shoulder for you to cry on
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If your identity crisis should get serious tho, I hope you know papa always has a strong shoulder for you to cry on
    Nah, my papa is catatonically depressed, so... eh.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    And the texans and the bible belt from the rest of the country.
    Even Texas is too big to sum it up with the above. On one hand, Chuck Norris comes from here. On the other, so does Elliot Smith. And if you went to Austin, it'd seem like a mini San Francisco.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Isnt Elliot Smith untouchable, so no speaking of him ?

i didn't know that rule ^_^

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

sry, I confused him with Eliot Ness

haha yeah, dramatically different elliot there..

chuck norris is a guy who will stab you in the chest

elliot smith is a guy who will stab himself in the chest

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    So, If I just so happened to be named Ford or Johnson, I'd be fucked, right?
    I had a teacher in HS named Richard Wiener. You might try that.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It only exists outside of it.

The only way to be free of it is to come inside.

Does anybody else get this feeling?
    Could you say more on what you mean here, Hap. I think the idea is intriguing and has sparked lots of Ne associations but I'm not sure what you were thinking of.

Did you mean America as in an image of the United States that plagues it around the world, particularly in the developing world or is that just what I took away from your post?

I think you're on to something here. I had two Americas in my mind before I moved here. One America was the America of great freedom - economic and personal. The wonderfully progressive, liberal, feminist writers who I was reading aslo made me admire this entire community of people fighting for better rights for themselves and for others. That's pretty cool.

On the other hand, there was the America associated with a long history of racism and imperialism as well. Both got fair play in the media and in popular understanding.

I leaned towards the former because I am an idealist (shocking, right?). Moving to the south meant so many new lessons. And in the way that you wrote, much like any other country but especially one about whom there is so much written and so much created in people's imagination, the only way to rid ourselves of the image of America, the America of our imaginations is to visit it, travel around and get to know it with all its contradictions.

It's akin to being a Hollywood celebrity - years of tabloid coverage later, who knows what's true and what isn't. Also like Hollywood celebrities, the immense sway they have on people's imaginations across the world gives their audience the license to create whatever image of the country they want.

Now having seen the country from within, it is so many things and a place of many wonderful and less wonderful contradictions. The place with a long history of racism did elect a Black president. That's pretty cool even though the struggles within the country this election highlighted are difficult and we'll be dealing with more overt tones of racism for some time now. It is truly a unique place and the stress on freedom of speech is different here than from anywhere else. It has given the world so much in terms of music and film and literature and science. That's fantastic.

More contradictions: the South. It gets so much slack around the country even and the world but I have never meet people more friendly, caring about their neighbors and willing to go great distances to help a complete stranger (Being an ENP, I get stranded a fair amount and I'm so grateful for people stopping, including bus drivers with buses full of passengers to offer help. People are amazing and very kind in the south. They stop to say hello and ask you how you are doing - I found this very strange when I moved here from a much bigger city but now I love it. It's not that the struggles are lost on me - racism is also very much alive and well as are huge socio-economic disparities but there's no simple narrative that describes the region either.

I find when I talk to people from other countries, they have an image of the U.S. as a dream maker place where a person can be anything (popular culture helps export the American dream) and they also think of it as a place where people have such influence on their lives, across oceans, without knowing much about them. Both seem to be true to some extent and both are also not true of everyone and even some all the time. It's hard to separate the image from the person or in this case, the image or rhetoric around the world about a country and its government from its people who are so varied.

So, as we can't have everyone come visit (practically impossible) and see the diversity of people and their views that exist internally, what can we do to help spread an image that reflects a diverse reality better?