MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Ambiversion is the way to go.
    That sounds pretty painful actually.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qybi3tTZYw4"]lolz[/YOUTUBE]

Tried to find a different scene from that same episode in which Mckay is walking in two directions, but this will do too. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Well, maybe a better way at looking at introversion and extraversion, is not looking at it like they are two sides of the same stick.

In most ways, introverted people are just 'less extraverted people. But it's more that the null line is in front of introversion. And every bit away from the null line you get a little more extraverted. Instead of imagining a null line inbetween introversion and extraversion.

So there's not really a balance to speak off between introversion and extraversion.

But it's all about how much time you want to spend alone, and how much time you like to spend among people. And finding the right balance between that. Not withstanding the zillion other factors of how you like to spend your time alone, or with other people, and with which people, etc, yada, yada.

So the balance is about how you wish to spend your time.
    I thought introversion/extraversion also differered in how you choose to act. Introverts would prefer to think, then act, then think. Extraverts act, think then act. That is the aspect of introversion/extraversion I am considering.

It is more often beneficial for you to think, then act, then think than vice verse. But then again, it does seem to have a balance point, you can't get by with only one, you need both. If the occasion calls for it, you may need to act quickly, but it seems that those opportunities I think are less necessary now days than they used to be. I'm probably wrong about that though.
    5 3 9

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    I thought introversion/extraversion also differered in how you choose to act. Introverts would prefer to think, then act, then think. Extraverts act, think then act. That is the aspect of introversion/extraversion I am considering.

It is more often beneficial for you to think, then act, then think than vice verse. But then again, it does seem to have a balance point, you can't get by with only one, you need both. If the occasion calls for it, you may need to act quickly, but it seems that those opportunities I think are less necessary now days than they used to be. I'm probably wrong about that though.
    Well, that's sorta a double edged sword there, no? I'd say experience helps us identify which requires instinctive and quick response and which merits a pondering before acting. In that sense, both introvert and extravert can deal with most any situation.

As an introvert, I've learned to skip the pondering when making jokes. It works half the time, the other half the joke is apparantly too complicated and does not reach ears that understand the joke, but that's the sacrifice I need to make, in order to land some punchlines quick enough to get the desired response.

The best is when I make a complicated punchline joke, and some people get it, but not everyone. It's pretty hilarious.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I wonder why people desire the extraverted attitude so much?
    Sometimes I like to fool myself into thinking it would fix all my problems.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Oh how that would be great, simply because the preference for introversion seem so much wiser in this day and age than extraversion. We already have enough junk to filter through.

I wonder why people desire the extraverted attitude so much?
    I was thinking about this just today, there's loads of books on Amazon for the introverted market giving them advice on how to adjust to the world or simply teeming with supportive quips, observations or the like but I couldnt find any on extraversion.

I've been reading some of them because while I get results just on the extroversion side of the equation I dont feel a really strong affinity for either, some of my friends tell me that if you like to spend time reading your automatically an introvert or if you take time out from the madding crowd at all your introvert.

The thing too is that while I'm gregarious I generally struggle to find good company and cant be bothered with the people who're really hard work more than once in a while. That doesnt mean I'm introverted. Neither does taking time outs because you get more in the way of negative feedback, knock backs or rejection on a day to day basis than introverts. I tend o think of the introvert as someone whose much more naturally contented and doesnt need to seek out the company or attention of others in the first place.

The introvert-extravert divide to me is also an east-west thing too. Just my opinion. I've found Zen texts as helpful as western psychological tracts in trying to reach some sort of middle ground.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I've noticed that I'm becoming more extroverted in a way. If I am in a familiar situation, situation that I have already thought through before, then I can react fast (as I already have "standard" reactions for that type of situation). So, I would think that extrovert who wants to use their introversion more could maybe just "try" to stop and think about stuff that they wouldn't normally think. I think meditation might be also a way to focus on your introverted side.

But, I must add a warning here. Do not try to be what you are not! It doesn't work. If you, for example, turn the phone off, trash your computer and tv and stay indoors for a month thinking about "deep stuff", you will not be an introvert, just an extrovert in a hostile environment.

MBTI
    GONE

I don't think 'introversion' is a problem for extraverts if you have a lot of Fi or Ti. The mind and the inner world can occupy me for a great deal of time. I'm definitely not an introvert though, leave me alone too long and the mind will eat itself! And I think the act of creating can be said to be an 'extaverted act' since you are making something and materializing something from the intangible inner world. In a way 'giving birth' to something material and introverts create.

Actually, I think all MBT extraverts have a dominant (primary or secondary) introverted function or something like that?

And trust me, the classic idea of 'extraversion' i.e. 'social extraversion' gives you an advantage in this world. It is a real handicap with social, emotional, and financial repercussions if you are so introverted or stuck in yourself you can't or just don't want to interact with ease with others. I think an 'introvert' is much more likely to wish they were better at 'extraverted skills' than the other way around. I think super stressed go-getters need to find moments of quiet and focus which is why yoga and long distance running are popular past times of corporate/soccer mom/types, but I'm not sure if that falls under "extravert wishes they were more introverted".

And having said all ^^that, regardless of whether you are an introvert or extravert by MBT standards, you can always work on your public speaking skills, social poise, etc. I mean, just because you are extraverted doesn't mean you are *sociable* or friendly or well liked or understand or do well in social situations. You can be considered abrasive, awkward, annoying, loud, clueless, bossy, etc.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I don't want to be an extravert *whines*

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I'm a wannabe INFJ. Some times I convince myself that I am and then garb myself in some flowing white drapery and act all prophetic and shit.

I have this (far-fetched and completely unfounded) theory that many ENTPs wish deep down that they could be INFJs. I wonder if there's a pattern to this...