User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default When someone else gets credit for what you did.

Are you fine when someone else gets credit from something you did? Does it bother you or irritate you? What would you do if it happened?

MBTI
    ENTP

if it's a one off, I give the benefit of the doubt, but I've recently worked for someone who kept his foot on my head while basically touting all my creative work.

I eventually had a word and not spoken to him since...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Are you fine when someone else gets credit from something you did? Does it bother you or irritate you? What would you do if it happened?
    This bugs me to no end. I've had several bosses take credit for my (great) ideas. They play as if they are the chosen one, and everyone else is their "administrative support."

I am big on merit based reward and achievement. If they pull this too long, I leave when they need my creativity most, as it is obvious I will not be allowed to reap the benefits of my efforts. Fair is fair. And unfair is premise for unfair.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

It actually irritates me. I'd say that this is one of those issue's where I speak up, not only for myself but for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

It happens all the time to me, it bothers me only marginally less than when I get to carry the can for others faults or systematic failings, I've tried to learn to deal with it and some how channel the negative emotions it gives rise to or disable them some how. What cant be cured has to be endured and provided its not going to result in dismissal from work or something like that it shouldnt be such a big deal.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It happens all the time to me, it bothers me only marginally less than when I get to carry the can for others faults or systematic failings, I've tried to learn to deal with it and some how channel the negative emotions it gives rise to or disable them some how. What cant be cured has to be endured and provided its not going to result in dismissal from work or something like that it shouldnt be such a big deal.
    Success has a thousand fathers.
    Failure is an orphan.

A man that takes credit for another's ideas is a thief, whether the perpetrator is the supervisor of the intelligent party, or not. People get sued over the theft of ideas all the time, it's called intellectual property rights. Plagiarism is an act of cowardice and poor character.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

It depends on what it is they take credit for. If I worked hard for it or am particularly proud of it, then it would boil my blood. In the past, I haven't confronted anyone directly, but I've rather found other ways of making my contributions clear in a subtle way. For the most part, I don't want to look petty or make it so that the issue of credit overshadows the actual accomplishment/contribution.

On the other hand, if I was not all that invested in it, then I would probably let it go. I might be a little miffed at the person for showing me disrespect by denying me credit. But if I'm honest, I would probably be a little flattered that they wanted to put their name to something of mine, too.

Also, there is the issue of intent. When collaborating with others, it can be difficult to distinguish individual contributions sometimes. Also, if I've spoken at length with someone about my ideas and we exchange thoughts, it is easier to understand unintentional idea borrowing because they are making contributions to fleshing it out as well. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt if it is ambiguous. Intent is very important in the vast majority of cases.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

°cataplum!

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

This happens to me all the time

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

it usually bothers me hugely, and i think you need to actively confront and call people on it.
    i think taking credit for others work turns people into monsters.

but it bothers me a lot more to see it happening to someone else, rather than to myself.
    sometimes i like the anonymity of not getting credit for my work. it is like a secret joke on the world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    This happens to me all the time
    Go get some rubber bullets and a loud-phone.
    I N V I C T U S