User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Female-Female Hugs: Mechanistic Question

How does one do the female to female hug that's not a left or right leaning hug if these females are of the same height?

Can you comfort a female with the "one set of arms around the neck/shoulders, one person's set of arms around the waist" style? Or would boobage get in the way?
    Do you think I could pull this off with a female friend of the same height considering that I'm really quite flat-chested?

Basically:
    How can you comfort another female of the exact same height for an extended period of time?!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think I always hug with one arm above the shoulder, one below (I lean left). Anything else would be awkward, I think. Even more awkward than hugs in general.

What do you have against asymmetrical hugging?

Actually, I don't have enough experience with this, so don't listen to me. I almost never hug people, and when I do it's almost always guys.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think I always hug with one arm above the shoulder, one below (I lean left). Anything else would be awkward, I think. Even more awkward than hugs in general.

What do you have against asymmetrical hugging?
    It's my preferred method, I'm just thinking if I need to comfort a friend I have for an extended period of time. You're very restricted in options once you've interlocked arms up and down; there's no room for as much hand movement, swaying, etc. to keep up the contact. It would get awkward after 30 seconds, would it not?
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    It's my preferred method, I'm just thinking if I need to comfort a friend I have for an extended period of time. You're very restricted in options once you've interlocked arms up and down; there's no room for as much hand movement, swaying, etc. to keep up the contact. It would get awkward after 30 seconds, would it not?
    I would imagine so. I've never been in a situation where I wanted to hug a girl more than briefly. So uh...I really have no clue. I'm sure it would work out somehow without planning it out though, wouldn't it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I would imagine so. I've never been in a situation where I wanted to hug a girl more than briefly. So uh...I really have no clue. I'm sure it would work out somehow without planning it out though, wouldn't it?
    I've never been in the situation before, but with my newly close ENFJ friend who's my height and having relationship issues, I'm starting to get proactive about knowing such things.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername
    It would get awkward after 30 seconds, would it not?
    Yes. I can't imagine a 'full frontal' for more then like 10 seconds max unless it was my grandma or something.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    ISXJ

I've never really had a strategy for hugging, but now that I think about it, right arm goes around the neck, left arm goes under the other person's arm if it's a female. I'm pretty sure anything else would have a boob problem.

Although I think guys either get both arms up around their neck or both arms down around their waist (depending on height and/or how much I like them or type of hug I want to give)...but I probably do the asymetrical hug for them too if they're just friends and close to my height.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quick hug, run away, come back with chocolate and hope they forget that you ran away when you were supposed to be hugging?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Quick hug, run away, come back with chocolate and hope they forget that you ran away when you were supposed to be hugging?
    Agreed. Cafe wins! Chocolate beats awkward hugs any day!

Or...you can just obseve the follwing example and go from there:

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I attack from the side -- arm around back, shoulders, or waist (depending on height and intimacy level) and open shoulder for head. Then sometimes, addition of the other arm across or holding the wrist/hand of the huggee. I let them turn into me for me to decide where to put myself.

Again. It's variable. Frontways is usually the most "formal".

EDIT: Oh my. I sound like a dude. O.o
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious