User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Type and speach

  1. #11
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    I'd start with Keirsey's observations that NTs and NFs prefer abstract symbols for reality (i.e., words) while SPs and SJs prefer concrete symbols. So, you might catch an iNtuitive using words that represent concepts or collections of concepts (in theory, abstract, dogmatic, ad hominem, logically, representation) and a Sensor using words that represent tangible things (cat, baseball, drool, candy, Russia, Woody Allen, paper cuts).

  2. #12
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Actually my pal here has just pointed out that I say 'you see' an awful lot. And I make quite a lot of 'sound effects' too - bang, zoom, pow, ptchah! and stuff like that.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  3. #13
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Actually my pal here has just pointed out that I say 'you see' an awful lot. And I make quite a lot of 'sound effects' too - bang, zoom, pow, ptchah! and stuff like that.
    What about when you're NOT working on the set of the old Batman TV show?

    THWAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!

  4. #14
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    What about when you're NOT working on the set of the old Batman TV show?

    THWAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!
    LMAO!

    Nah I do it all the time, like if I drop some onions in a pan I'll accompany the gesture with a 'bam!' or an exaggerated impression of the sizzling noise they make. Or if I give something to someone I always half-throw it with some kinda sound effect. I knew I did this, but 'til my friend here just pointed it out I didn't realise how often!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  5. #15
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    LMAO!

    Nah I do it all the time, like if I drop some onions in a pan I'll accompany the gesture with a 'bam!' or an exaggerated impression of the sizzling noise they make. Or if I give something to someone I always half-throw it with some kinda sound effect. I knew I did this, but 'til my friend here just pointed it out I didn't realise how often!!
    Heh. Actually, I do that too. I totally abuse the BAM!, by the way.

  6. #16
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Heh. Actually, I do that too. I totally abuse the BAM!, by the way.
    Do you ever do inappropriate ones? Like turning a page in a book but doing the sound effect for wine pouring out of a bottle? I've just been told I did that the other day (don't remember but he does and I don't question ISTJ's when it comes to remembering things!) and do that kinda thing all the time. He says it confuses him and now whenever he turns a page he thinks of that sound!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  7. #17
    ~dangerous curves ahead~
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    ENTP: sorry for derailing your thread, back to the origi . . . did you see that squirrel?!

    INFP: ? I guess.

    ENFJ: CAUSE!

    INTP: . Go. Away.

    ENFP: :steam:

    Don't know the rest well enough. .


  8. #18
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Do you ever do inappropriate ones? Like turning a page in a book but doing the sound effect for wine pouring out of a bottle? I've just been told I did that the other day (don't remember but he does and I don't question ISTJ's when it comes to remembering things!) and do that kinda thing all the time. He says it confuses him and now whenever he turns a page he thinks of that sound!
    It sounds like you are referring to Synesthesia.

    Sometimes I can taste noise, and/or smell songs.

  9. #19
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Do you ever do inappropriate ones? Like turning a page in a book but doing the sound effect for wine pouring out of a bottle? I've just been told I did that the other day (don't remember but he does and I don't question ISTJ's when it comes to remembering things!) and do that kinda thing all the time. He says it confuses him and now whenever he turns a page he thinks of that sound!
    Never thought about it. Perhaps?

    *makes blender sound*

  10. #20
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Are there certain phrases/words some types are more likely to use/use more commonly?

    I was thinking about the rap group A Tribe Called Quest, who often refer to themselves as "The abstract poets", and generally toss the word"abstract" around a lot. They seem pretty NF to me, but I'm not sure why.

    "Because its normal" seems like an SJ thing to say... any other ideas?

    Is this even a real thing, or is it really just stereotyping?
    I'll play.....

    I've never heard "because it's normal".....sounds like something you made up on the basis of it's SJ-ish quality. But SJs don't appeal to normalcy nearly as much as they appeal to role or function.


    SJ parents say things like "because I said so"

    NTs use lots of qualifying words and technical words.

    SPs use irritating amounts of slang, sometimes mixed with technical words as well. SPs and NTs can both explain how something works but an SP won't sound like a boring pretentious asshole/nerd while doing it thanks to their greater awareness of speech style. They select words for how they sound.

    NFs use words commonly associated with pluralism. Tolerance, inclusive language, "dialogue", etc.
    I don't wanna!

Similar Threads

  1. Type and Handwriting
    By Ivy in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 591
    Last Post: 10-13-2017, 02:49 AM
  2. Thinking types and their emotions.
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-26-2014, 02:06 PM
  3. Personality Types and Music
    By SuperServal in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 06:37 PM
  4. Types and Revenge
    By Natrushka in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 06:52 AM
  5. Is there a correlation between type and military enlistment?
    By Cindyrella in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 10:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO