User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 56

  1. #1
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default When Will Reality Television DIE?!?!?! <hopefully soon!>

    Hello all,

    I am not an avid TV watcher at all, but I absolutely HATE reality TV shows.
    They are absolute TRASH.
    They SUCK.
    It seems like after Seinfeld went off the air, and the era of sitcoms was over, reality shows took over.
    Immediately.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (1) What is the appeal of these shows? Why do people watch them?

    (2) WHEN WILL REALITY SHOWS DIE?

    (3) What will be the downfall of reality TV?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I understand TV is supposed to be entertaining, but I'd rather copy a dictionary word for word writing with my feet than watch this crap.

    Discuss.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  2. #2
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    When we get rid of white trash. <hopefully soon!>



  3. #3
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Halla, it's ESTPs like you that keep on going on these shows! Maybe you should hold a extroverted sensor meeting.

  4. #4
    *hmmms* theadoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    586

    Default

    I hate TV too. Hope it's gonna die SOON.

    Okay, once in a while I watch Discovery Channel or National Geographics

    At least they're talking about smth useful and interesting from RL or history, not about MTV culture or soap operas, which IMHO just degenerate your mind and value system.
    Oh yeah?

  5. #5
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    (1) The appeal is they are cheap to make (no writers and few paid actors), so it's easy for them to make lots of money. The cheapness and quick production schedule also make them perfect for airing new material during traditionally slower times of the TV season, like the summer.

    People, on the other hand, get a prime time soap opera that is made more interesting because they think it's "real".

    (2) When *you* kill them all, my "All out of bubble-gum" friend. Good luck, we are all counting on you.

    (3) This, like pretty much any other trend, is surely cyclical. Eventually, we'll reach such a saturation in the market that it'll be necessary to pull away from reality TV to keep things exciting and new. That could take awhile, though.

    PS: I still like Wipeout! though. I'd love to be on that show.

  6. #6
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theaferist View Post
    I hate TV too. Hope it's gonna die SOON.

    Okay, once in a while I watch Discovery Channel or National Geographics

    At least they're talking about smth useful and interesting from RL or history, not about MTV culture or soap operas, which IMHO just degenerate your mind and value system.
    Yup, Discovery and Nat Geo are legit. And Comedy Central has some really good shows.

    Those three channels are like 85% of the worthwhile programming on TV.

  7. #7
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    When we get rid of white trash. <hopefully soon!>
    Amen to that, Brother Jock!

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Halla, it's ESTPs like you that keep on going on these shows! Maybe you should hold a extroverted sensor meeting.
    That's it. I'm holding an ESTP summit. In Amsterdam.

    Quote Originally Posted by theaferist View Post
    I hate TV too. Hope it's gonna die SOON.

    Okay, once in a while I watch Discovery Channel or National Geographics

    At least they're talking about smth useful and interesting from RL or history, not about MTV culture or soap operas, which IMHO just degenerate your mind and value system.
    OK, can we hallpass them? Let's say those are "Real Time Documentaries" instead of "Reality Shit Shows"? Is that cool?

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    (1) The appeal is they are cheap to make (no writers and few paid actors), so it's easy for them to make lots of money. The cheapness and quick production schedule also make them perfect for airing new material during traditionally slower times of the TV season, like the summer.

    People, on the other hand, get a prime time soap opera that is made more interesting because they think it's "real".
    You are a nefarious and sinister TV producer, aren't you, Udog? Admit. There's no way of denying it at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    (2) When *you* kill them all, my "All out of bubble-gum" friend. Good luck, we are all counting on you.
    10-4 on that, Roger Dodger.
    Add task: "Kill reality TV shows" to my To Do List...

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    (3) This, like pretty much any other trend, is surely cyclical. Eventually, we'll reach such a saturation in the market that it'll be necessary to pull away from reality TV to keep things exciting and new. That could take awhile, though.
    Oh great, I can't wait for the "Vintage Reality Show Network" in 20 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    PS: I still like Wipeout! though. I'd love to be on that show.
    No comprende.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yup, Discovery and Nat Geo are legit. And Comedy Central has some really good shows.

    Those three channels are like 85% of the worthwhile programming on TV.
    My favorite three channels if I have TV on while I do housework and jam on my synthesizer. You are a wise and well armed Panda Bear Nihilist.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  8. #8
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    There is this channel here that started to broadcast documentaries that were supposed to be "entertaining" as well. It's interesting to notice that half of them are about transsexuals and morbidly obese teenagers. I don't know how long it can be entertaining to watch yet another penis cut off.

  9. #9
    *hmmms* theadoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post



    OK, can we hallpass them? Let's say those are "Real Time Documentaries" instead of "Reality Shit Shows"? Is that cool?


    I said useful and interesting...
    Oh yeah?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    But, I like reality TV like hidden camera stuff, and, "So you think you can dance?" (I hate American Idol), oh, and I used to like some of those home reno shows (Trading Spaces).



    I is white trash, ain't I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

    For instance, if reality shows were to be banned vy an official decree, a hall pass could be granted to National Geographic and Discovery Channel reality shows.
    Yes, please!
    V

Similar Threads

  1. When will modern Western morality end?
    By danseen in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 09:31 AM
  2. When will atheism replace religion?
    By UniqueMixture in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 05:56 PM
  3. when will the U.S. get decent healthcare
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 12:22 AM
  4. Reality Television
    By JLM in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
  5. When will I ever learn?
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 11:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO