User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

The only reality show I watched was American Idol, and suddenly I got tired of the same old thing after the 7th season. What I admired about it though, was as the show goes on, there isn't all this catty fighting and crap that you see on a lot of other reality shows.

I think I'm ready for reality shows to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Everything good is bound to end.
    Everything bad is bound to end... it just has a longer lifespan.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Udog is right. Unfortunately, there's an even scarier element to it. Because reality TV is very inexpensive to make, a lot less people need to watch it to make it profitable. A scripted program, being more expensive, needs more viewers to make it financially viable.

This has a twofold effect:

1. There is less financial incentive for quality programming than there was 10 years ago (at least on the major broadcast network level).

2. The normally solid theory that broadcasters just give us what we want and we have to stop watching to make it go away is less valid with reality TV because fewer of us need to watch it to make it viable.
    I don't think it is going away any time soon unless it becomes less profitable. Most of it is trash but there are a couple of shows that I do like - So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol.

One of the funniest things I've seen though was a reality show parody in 2003 called Joe Schmo. There was this cast of characters living in a house, one getting eliminated each week. It was a hoax however. All of the participants were actors except for this one guy - Matt Kennedy Gould. He finds out at the end that it was all fake and gets a check for 100k.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    One of the funniest things I've seen though was a reality show parody in 2003 called Joe Schmo. There was this cast of characters living in a house, one getting eliminated each week. It was a hoax however. All of the participants were actors except for this one guy - Matt Kennedy Gould. He finds out at the end that it was all fake and gets a check for 100k.
    I only read about Joe Schmo, but it almost made me want to get the DVD. The show was set up to play a cruel prank on this guy, but he was so likable that some of the actors who played jerks had trouble staying in character. It turned out unlike most reality shows in that it showed the goodness in people.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Yes, he was very likable. I actually really looked forward to that show every week.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTP

Eh, I always say I hate reality shows, but then there are a few I end up liking anyway. I hate stuff like The Bachelor (really? People are still watching this?) and The Real World, etc. I don't like shows that are created and cast for drama, and I hate pseudo-reality, like The Hills.

Having said that, I love the following: American Idol (though it's gotten increasingly more annoying with each passing year, precisely b/c they try to heighten the drama and manipulate voting), Tabatha's Salon Takeover (I think T is an ESTJ, CzeCze, fwiw), Shear Genius, Steven Seagal: Lawman (though it was better the first few eps), Hoarders, Intervention, Ghost Hunters (though they never find anything), The First 48, and (guilty pleasure) Jersey Shore.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I remember watching that show every week on TNN/Spike without fail.

I loved that damn show.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Ghost Hunters, Paranormal Cops, Ghost Hunters International (it would seem that there's a theme here ) and that's about it. I've hated everything else.

May reality tv die sooner than later.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Reality tv, heh. When I watch those shows I feel exhillerated that those shows aren't living up to their names much, and that in reality, reality is thankfully much different.

...But then I read the newspaper.

I'm thinking of writing a book called "Ashamed of my own species."
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Just don't watch it. I don't even own a television, so I choose to watch whatever I want to watch, and that doesn't include so-called 'reality' television.

No viewers, no go.

Simple as that. People need to change themselves if they want better programming.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.