User Tag List

12311 Last

Default English America vs English Australia *thread split*

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You have to turn the forum about 12 degrees SSW to get Victor, but it's worth it.
    What do you expect?

My day is your night.

My summer is your winter.

Your trees loose their leaves in winter, while my trees loose their bark in summer.

We are loyal to the Queen, while you are loyal to the Constitution.

We love losers, while you hate losers.

We laugh at deprecatory stories, while you laugh at one liners.

We are kangaroos while you are eagles.

We have a Continent and a half, whereas you assume the name of two Continents belonging to others.

You make one person President, Head of State, and Commander-in-Chief, while our Prime Minister is not even mentioned in our Constitution and the Queen makes sure our Prime Minister never becomes Commander-in-Chief or Head of State.

On your currency you tell us, "In God We Trust", whereas our currency is based on evidence and reason.

We speak English while you speak American.

You see dominance and deference one way, and we see dominance and deference in the opposite way.

And our heads point in exactly opposite directions.

But still, I can see the world through your eyes, and if you turn your head 12 degrees SSW, you can see the world through my eyes too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What can you expect?

My day is your night.

My summer is your winter.

Your trees loose their leaves in winter, while my trees loose their bark in summer.

We are loyal to the Queen, while you are loyal to the Constitution.

We love losers, while you hate losers.

We laugh at deprecatory stories, while you laugh at one liners.

We are kangaroos while you are Eagles.

We have a Continent and a half, whereas you assume the name of two Continents.

You make one person President, Head of State, and Commander in Chief, while our Prime Minister is not even mentioned in our Constitution and the Queen makes sure our Prime Minister never becomes Commander in Chief or Head of State.

We speak English while you speak American.

You see dominance and deference one way, and we see dominance and deference in the opposite way.

And our heads point in exactly opposite directions.

But still, I can see the world through your eyes, and if you turn your head 12 degrees SSW, you can see the world through my eyes too.
    Actually, this is a great example. People who know you no doubt understand what what you are saying perfectly. The language is so filled with metaphors that I often have a hard time understanding the logic and translating it into something concrete. Perhaps I'm mistaken but it seems to be more about a communications style difference than Americans looking at things through their lens and not being sensitive to other cultures or viewpoints held in other parts of the world (if that is what you are actually communicating).

heart on fire

Victor, you should come to the USA and go to Arby's for a change.

Question for the British posters: Do Australians speak English or Australian?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    [youtube="CWzpqTE3Hx8"]How to speak Australian[/youtube]

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    LOL, that ad says that beer is brewed in Fort Worth, TX.

Sniffles

Ahhh but they still ferment it with koala bear piss!

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

We spell in English, that's the only distinction I know of between US English and OZ English.

Also: Eww. Dunno any Aussies who'd drink that.

Thumbs down The Oxford English Dictionary and Webster's American Dictionary

Please dear Heart, please!

We use the Oxford English Dictionary while you use Webster's American Dictionary.

Noah Webster was the Pol Pot of English. He was a revolutionary determined to cut American off from its English roots.

He was enormously successful in the USA educational system, and is the father of American.

Unfortunately for you English is irregular because each word contains its own history. And it was this history that Noah Webster tried to expunge.

So there you are on the opposite side of the world cut off from your own history, cut off from your own roots. Your only alternative is to look to the future.

Thank God we speak the Queen's English, and curse Noah Webster for making you speak American every time you open your mouths.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Please dear Heart, please!

We use the Oxford English Dictionary while you use Webster's American Dictionary.

Noah Webster was the Pol Pot of English. He was a revolutionary determined to cut American off from its English roots.

He was enormously successful in the USA educational system, and is the father of American.

Unfortunately for you English is irregular because each word contains its own history. And it was this history that Noah Webster tried to expunge.

So there you are on the opposite side of the world cut off from your own history, cut off from your own roots. Your only alternative is to look to the future.

Thank God we speak the Queen's English, and curse Noah Webster for making you speak American every time you open your mouths.
    There are those who say American English is closer to the English spoken in England before Charles II Frenchified it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

There are those who say American English is closer to the English spoken in England before Charles II Frenchified it.
    Esp. since we got rid of all those extra-Frenchy "u" letters in words.