User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 118

  1. #81
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Jack Joseph Valenti

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Other cultures need to speak with their pocketbooks if they don't like what's being hurled at them. Easier than done, I know. But surely everywhere there's some kind of local culture they could be throwing their entertainment dollars into if they don't like the mass fare. Watching Indie movies. Things like that.
    Well, we did make a valiant attempt to start our own movie industry with government support.

    But Jack Joseph Valenti (1921 2007) a long-time president of the Motion Picture Association of America, made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

    He said that if we started our own movie industry with government support, he would ruin us economically.

    This was no empty threat as the same threat had been used to effect at Suez, cutting us off from Britain.

    However Mr Valenti did offer us a sweetener. He said although we couldn't have our own movie industry, we could send our directors and movie stars to Hollywood.

    And that is why you see so many Australian movie stars and directors in Hollywood today.

    Jack Valenti was President of the Motion Picture Association of America for thirty-eight years, and knew how to get things done. He is the perfect representative of your culture and values.

    What amazes me how instinctively you defend these values and how you object to anyone fighting back.

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    fixed

    The federal reserve of today is about 1000x more knowledgeable and competent (so I wouldnt worry "too much").
    I'm sorry, but you are wrong, as time will demonstrate. One of the great tragedies of the Fed & of financial and social engineers like Bernanke, Geithner, Obama is that they vastly overestimate their own competence and of their ability to control things in general...

    I gotta give you props for balls esp. as the Fed created the bubbled that burst in 2008 and is now desperately trying to reinflate it. So it can burst again! Ah, competence!

    YouTube - Peter Schiff was right 2006-2007 - CNBC edition

    YouTube - Peter Schiff was right

    YouTube - Ron Paul and Peter Schiff were Right !!!!!!!

  3. #83
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, we did make a valiant attempt to start our own movie industry with government support.

    But Jack Joseph Valenti (1921 2007) a long-time president of the Motion Picture Association of America, made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

    He said that if we started our own movie industry with government support, he would ruin us economically.

    This was no empty threat as the same threat had been used to effect at Suez, cutting us off from Britain.

    However Mr Valenti did offer us a sweetener. He said although we couldn't have our own movie industry, we could send our directors and movie stars to Hollywood.

    And that is why you see so many Australian movie stars and directors in Hollywood today.

    Jack Valenti was President of the Motion Picture Association of America for thirty-eight years, and knew how to get things done. He is the perfect representative of your culture and values.

    What amazes me how instinctively you defend these values and how you object to anyone fighting back.
    Fascinating.

    *takes notes on your behavior*
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  4. #84
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, we did make a valiant attempt to start our own movie industry with government support.

    But Jack Joseph Valenti (1921 2007) a long-time president of the Motion Picture Association of America, made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

    He said that if we started our own movie industry with government support, he would ruin us economically.

    This was no empty threat as the same threat had been used to effect at Suez, cutting us off from Britain.

    However Mr Valenti did offer us a sweetener. He said although we couldn't have our own movie industry, we could send our directors and movie stars to Hollywood.

    And that is why you see so many Australian movie stars and directors in Hollywood today.

    Jack Valenti was President of the Motion Picture Association of America for thirty-eight years, and knew how to get things done. He is the perfect representative of your culture and values.

    What amazes me how instinctively you defend these values and how you object to anyone fighting back.
    Victor, please use a direct quote to illustrate how I have defended the "values" of the Hollywood movie industry or take back what you've accused me of.

    I suggested using your dollars to support the Indie movie industry in your own country instead of fighting USA posters on a message board. The only language the corporate industry understands is that of the pocketbook. They aren't reading this board. As long as you pay the ticket price, they don't care what you think of their work or their actions.

  5. #85
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, we did make a valiant attempt to start our own movie industry with government support.

    But Jack Joseph Valenti (1921 2007) a long-time president of the Motion Picture Association of America, made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

    He said that if we started our own movie industry with government support, he would ruin us economically.

    This was no empty threat as the same threat had been used to effect at Suez, cutting us off from Britain.

    However Mr Valenti did offer us a sweetener. He said although we couldn't have our own movie industry, we could send our directors and movie stars to Hollywood.

    And that is why you see so many Australian movie stars and directors in Hollywood today.

    Jack Valenti was President of the Motion Picture Association of America for thirty-eight years, and knew how to get things done. He is the perfect representative of your culture and values.

    What amazes me how instinctively you defend these values and how you object to anyone fighting back.
    Assuming that such a fantastic story is true (I have no idea), I do not know many people who would defend these behaviors/values. It is however an illustration of capitalism. The question would be why such behaviors would be considered unique to the US.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  6. #86
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Assuming that such a fantastic story is true (I have no idea), I do not know many people who would defend these behaviors/values. It is however an illustration of capitalism. The question would be why such behaviors would be considered unique to the US.
    Because Americans invented capitalism, obviously.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  7. #87
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Fascinating.

    *takes notes on your behavior*
    I wouldn't dismiss Victor's claim out of hand. However, even if it were true, it does not make a case for cultural imperialism.

    It is disappointing that no sources were provided to back up the contention. Particularly so as Jack has no way of responding (because he's dead).

    Victor, - interesting. Can you supply a source?

  8. #88
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss Victor's claim out of hand. However, even if it were true, it does not make a case for cultural imperialism.

    It is disappointing that no sources were provided to back up the contention. Particularly so as Jack has no way of responding (because he's dead).

    Victor, - interesting. Can you supply a source?
    However, because Victor's claim was made by Victor, we cannot take it out of his cultural context. Even if it is true, it is still an expression of Victor's culture. Thus, the interest.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #89
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    I doubt whether even Victor sees himself in that symbolic role.

  10. #90
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss Victor's claim out of hand. However, even if it were true, it does not make a case for cultural imperialism.

    It is disappointing that no sources were provided to back up the contention. Particularly so as Jack has no way of responding (because he's dead).

    Victor, - interesting. Can you supply a source?
    Phillip Adams of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation was directly involved with setting up a motion picture industry in Australia with government backing. And he was directly involved in the negotiations with Jack Valenti.

    Mr Adams is still working at the ABC and you can ring him for free and talk with him and hear it from the horse's mouth.

    But what is most revealing is that Australia's movie stars and directors are now working in Hollywood producing American propaganda.

Similar Threads

  1. The not so appreciating bunny thread [split]
    By 5231311252 in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 03:52 PM
  2. [NT] NT women and femininity *thread split*
    By Zarathustra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM
  3. America Vs. Israel
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM
  4. 10/7 Obama vs. McCain debate thread.
    By ajblaise in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 11:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO