Socionics
    INT_

For Victory?

Of course America has a culture.

(for Victor)

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    American culture is something that is perceived to exist throughout the world largely due to the influence of movies and television which is broadcast everywhere. I do not think that others in the world fully comprehend the vast differences that exist in the United States because they view the United States through the lens of what they consume - which is media. US Corporations also have a significant influence on the rest of the world.

Strangely enough, I began to start realizing the impact of media emanating from the US when I was sitting in a hotel room in Brazil. Beavis and Butthead was on with Spanish subtitles. It was the most ridiculous thing. How on earth would it translate?? Then I began to notice the differences between BBC and CNN, etc.
    The point is they're not being drowned out by American culture. They're just being inundated by American money. The best way to stop production is to stop consuming.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Victor, give yourself a hug and tell yourself that your culture is fantastic. It is good enough to share with people such as me who don't know much about Australian culture.
    Tell me something about Australian culture... anything you like.
    I can tell you that you don't need to feel bad because you didn't have a bloody civil war like the United States did. That war not only divided a country, it divided states and it even divided families. In some cases, men were fighting against their own brothers. There were men who discovered that they had killed their own brother. Also, the casualty rate was shockingly high. I just checked that out and found that 618,000 were killed in the Civil War. These include battle deaths and deaths from disease on both sides. You can take a look at the statistics at Casualties In The Civil War
    Oh... on a lighter note... about people walking on their hands and wanting to be the right way up... um... what can I say... seeing is believing... I guess that I'll have to come to Australia to see this fantastic phenomenon!!!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The point is they're not being drowned out by American culture. They're just being inundated by American money. The best way to stop production is to stop consuming.
    I agree with what you are saying. An individual can make this decision. However, for a society it is perhaps more difficult. The corporations that generate the media are designed for one purpose - to increase profits on a steady and continual basis. Their success lies with this consumption and they are designed to do everything in their power to continually increase it. This is their mission in life. The only way to implement what you are suggesting on a broader basis is for other countries to provide more competitive products. There are other Hollywoods throughout the world but the fact is that the U.S. produces highly competitive media products. As long as those corporations and products maintain their dominance, they will continue to be consumed.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What do you expect?

My day is your night.

My summer is your winter.

Your trees loose their leaves in winter, while my trees loose their bark in summer.

We are loyal to the Queen, while you are loyal to the Constitution.

We love losers, while you hate losers.

We laugh at deprecatory stories, while you laugh at one liners.

We are kangaroos while you are eagles.

We have a Continent and a half, whereas you assume the name of two Continents belonging to others.

You make one person President, Head of State, and Commander-in-Chief, while our Prime Minister is not even mentioned in our Constitution and the Queen makes sure our Prime Minister never becomes Commander-in-Chief or Head of State.

On your currency you tell us, "In God We Trust", whereas our currency is based on evidence and reason.

We speak English while you speak American.

You see dominance and deference one way, and we see dominance and deference in the opposite way.

And our heads point in exactly opposite directions.

But still, I can see the world through your eyes, and if you turn your head 12 degrees SSW, you can see the world through my eyes too.
    This seems quite an idealization of Australia, but I do like rugby league (which you guys didn't invent, but play the best).
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I agree with what you are saying. An individual can make this decision. However, for a society it is perhaps more difficult. The corporations that generate the media are designed for one purpose - to increase profits on a steady and continual basis. Their success lies with this consumption and they are designed to do everything in their power to continually increase it. This is their mission in life. The only way to implement what you are suggesting on a broader basis is for other countries to provide more competitive products. There are other Hollywoods throughout the world but the fact is that the U.S. produces highly competitive media products. As long as those corporations and products maintain their dominance, they will continue to be consumed.
    Yes, but when it comes to "society" and media consumption, well, it's purely optional. There are so many Americans that *choose* not to watch anything that these foreigners are complaining about in their media. There is an "off" button on your television, and films are generally optional.

I mean, on the opposite side, I can complain that it seems like other countries are stalking us. They generally know more about the current political climate of the United States than I do, more of American history, more of American weather, more American movies, more American TV shows, more American music, more everything American, and then they complain that we're somehow "making" them pay attention, that it's somehow in our culture to force them to know about this shit.

I have no idea how that's even possible because, see, most Americans don't know, so that's obviously not a part of the culture. From an American perspective, it seems less like of a trait to force "culture" onto you and more of a trait for you to seem overly interested in us -- and we wonder why you care to know so much if you know none of that attention is going to be returned.

But, I'm guessing this is an invalid perspective. So, you know, whatever.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Yes, but when it comes to "society" and media consumption, well, it's purely optional. There are so many Americans that *choose* not to watch anything that these foreigners are complaining about in their media. There is an "off" button on your television, and films are generally optional.

I mean, on the opposite side, I can complain that it seems like other countries are stalking us. They generally know more about the current political climate of the United States than I do, more of American history, more of American weather, more American movies, more American TV shows, more American music, more everything American, and then they complain that we're somehow "making" them pay attention, that it's somehow in our culture to force them to know about this shit.

I have no idea how that's even possible because, see, most Americans don't know, so that's obviously not a part of the culture. From an American perspective, it seems less like of a trait to force "culture" onto you and more of a trait for you to seem overly interested in us -- and we wonder why you care to know so much if you know none of that attention is going to be returned.

Don't know if it's invalid but it certainly is an interesting perspective.

What I'm piecing together here is that we make a lot of money and advertise the hell out of ourselves globally through media. When a person is very successful financially and very visible, that person naturally gets scrutinized by others. People wonder what makes them tick and seek to find flaws to feel better about themselves. Maybe that is why tabloids are so popular and maybe there are analogies between a country and a person.

And since I'm making this up as I go along, maybe I don't know what the f*** I'm talking about.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

heart on fire

Yes, I agree with all the above for myself, except for the history bit. I don't like most of the current mass corporate culture the media pumps out, so like I said, I filter the things I allow into my world.

Other cultures need to speak with their pocketbooks if they don't like what's being hurled at them. Easier than done, I know. But surely everywhere there's some kind of local culture they could be throwing their entertainment dollars into if they don't like the mass fare. Watching Indie movies. Things like that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

The rest of the world is obsessed with America.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    The rest of the world is obsessed with America.
    I wonder what Victor would think if all of the sudden everyone were obsessed with Australia.

Victor!

Be warned: we are watching you.