User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Um. Australia is upside down. You have to wear suction cups on your shoes to prevent yourselves from falling off of the earth.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Um. Australia is upside down. You have to wear suction cups on your shoes to prevent yourselves from falling off of the earth.
    This is true although there is a small but growing movement of those who walk on their hands. They tell us they want to be the right way up, they want to be the same of everyone else.

Personally I think it is a good example of the cultural cringe where we think we are just not good enough.

We think our history is just not good enough because we had nothing as exciting as the War of Independence and the Civil War. There is no blood on the wattle.

We try to make up for this by apologizing for non existent sins. It's interesting - we use the full power of Parliament to apologize but we never pay compensation for when it comes time for the Court to award compensation, the Court can't find anything to compensate for. But apologizing does give us a warm inner glow.

But we are fighting back. A few mavericks are actually starting to tell the truth. And they are hated with a visceral hatred by the politicly correct and the bien-pensant.

What we lack is a positive view of ourselves. Unfortunately this plays into our deprecating sense of humour. And so our cultural cringe becomes more and more set in concrete with each laugh.

We don't find much to recommend us and the world seems to agree that we live in the upside down world of Oz.

But still, the sun shines on us every day 'cause by being born here, we have won the lottery.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We think our history is just not good enough because we had nothing as exciting as the War of Independence and the Civil War. There is no blood on the wattle.

But still, the sun shines on us every day 'cause by being born here, we have won the lottery.
    Oh, don't worry about it, the American Revolution and the Civil war were not very exciting. In truth, they were just trifling things. They didn't leave anything impressive behind like French trenches or Vietnamese land mines.

You see, by being born in the States, I've won the lottery, too.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

heart on fire

We think our history is just not good enough because we had nothing as exciting as the War of Independence and the Civil War. There is no blood on the wattle...
    Why not just appreciate your history for what it is without the grudge against America and the American Revolution?

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Why not just appreciate your history for what it is without the grudge against America and the American Revolution?
    I don't think you appreciate just how much we are immersed in your culture and your history here.

It is said we soak up American culture like sponges.

And you push your values onto us non stop.

And you deliberately destroyed our film industry so we wouldn't be able to fight back.

However we do have the advantage of being on the other side of the world, with our own institutions and history.

So it is vital we delegitimate your history, culture and values in Oz, and legitimate our own.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't think you appreciate just how much we are immersed in your culture and your history here.

And you deliberately destroyed our film industry so we wouldn't be able to fight back.

However we do have the advantage of being on the other side of the world, with our own institutions and history.

So it is vital we delegitimate your history, culture and values in Oz, and legitimate our own.
    Balderdash.

There is no such thing as American culture. You are yelling at thin air.

heart on fire

Well Victor I do feel for you if that's what you experience, I don't watch TV, I rarely listen to radio. I don't go see movies in the theater because it's all so much of the stufff I really don't like. Based on what you post in the movie thread, you've seen more recently American movies than I have. I don't enjoy mass culture, it feels invasive, therefore I filter what I let into my personal world.

Why not just make a point of being a strong supporter of your history and culture? When you make the point of having to compare yourself to America for idenitity, you play into the hands of the whole culture devaluation thing.

Most Americans are curious about Australia and would enjoy hearing the perspective of someone who lives there but when you prefece it with "You and your bloody revolution, tratiors!" well, you know, they probably think you're a bit off.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Most Americans are curious about Australia and would enjoy hearing the perspective of someone who lives there but when you prefece it with "You and your bloody revolution, tratiors!" well, you know, they probably think you're a bit off.
    Nah, he's too afraid to show us anything because he's afraid we'll steal it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It was ...... WWII spending that got us out of the depression. FDR's worst period was when, for a year, he started listening to more conservative advisers, and unemployment stopped going down.
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    This is why we are doomed to repeat the sad history of the 30s and 40s: Because people of your political persuasion (read: Obama) actually believe FDR "got us out of" the Great Depression rather than prolonging and exacerbating it.
    If you are going to blame FDR, you can really only blame him for "LBJ like issues". The simple fact is that the Federal Reserve of the 1930's had a very poor concept of money supply and therefore no political faction was going to get it right... The federal reserve of today is about 1000x more knowledgeable and competent (so I wouldnt worry "too much").

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Balderdash.

There is no such thing as American culture. You are yelling at thin air.
    American culture is something that is perceived to exist throughout the world largely due to the influence of movies and television which is broadcast everywhere. I do not think that others in the world fully comprehend the vast differences that exist in the United States because they view the United States through the lens of what they consume - which is media. This media, I think, very much shapes how others how others perceive us. US Corporations also have a significant influence on the rest of the world.

Strangely enough, I began to start realizing the impact of media emanating from the US when I was sitting in a hotel room in Brazil. Beavis and Butthead was on with Spanish subtitles. It was the most ridiculous thing. How on earth would it translate?? Then I began to notice the differences between BBC and CNN, etc.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639