User Tag List

First 45678 Last

heart on fire

To Victor: So you support the right of conquest when it comes to Australians rolling over aboriginals? That's just nature's order. The superior roll over the inferior.

But when Americans rightfully, and soundly, thrashed the British, not once but twice, that's unfair, illegal, and illegitimate?

Do I have your opinions down correctly here?

Edit: Be mindful of what you commit to. This is all going down on your permament record.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    To Victor: So you support the right of conquest when it comes to Australians rolling over aboriginals? That's just nature's order. The superior roll over the inferior.

But when Americans rightfully, and soundly, thrashed the British, not once but twice, that's unfair, illegal, and illegitimate?

Do I have your opinions down correctly here?
    We are loyal to the Crown, you are not.

And interestingly aborigines have always been loyal to the Crown in spite of being incited to disloyalty by communists and marxist historians.

If only you had followed the example of the aborigines and resisted the incitement to disloyalty by your bourgeois revolutionaries.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We are loyal to the Crown, you are not...
    Okay, but Victor, here's the thing: We don't care about being loyal to some crown. The USA cut the apron strings. Most people in the USA are proud not to be loyal to a crown.

It is kind of funny how the British treated the Loyalists who sailed with them to New York, but this probably isn't the place to get into that...

The British signed the Treaty of Paris and then they went on to harass USA shipping at sea and forced us to declare the War of 1812. Then the British signed the Treaty of Ghent. The USA is twice severed from the royal umbilical cord.

But let's get deeper here, shall we? Will you indulge me?

What do you consider the Enlightenment and which Enlightenment thinkers are you supporting when you get up on the Enlightenment soapbox?

BTW, Victor, I only accept references on History as written by HISTORIANS. History Professors. That means they need to trained in historical methods and historiography.

Would you go to an automechanic to get your cavity filled or to fix a broken leg?

So I want to know what Historical sources you value as reference materials for the Enlightenment and which Enlightenment thinkers you value.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    How much do you want to bet Obama gets re-elected? His poll numbers are at 50% now, with just under 10% unemployment, so in a few years, with unemployment down a few percent with the recession further behind us, he'll easily get 55%+ approval.

Granted, Bush got re-elected, and was a failure. But he had 9/11, and a budget surplus to start with.
    You just pointed out why I would not like to bet on this issue: Americans consistently elect failures to the office of POTUS. Hell, if they elected FDR four times, and he created a depression worse than this one, I see no reason why they couldn't elect BHO 2x...

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    You just pointed out why I would not like to bet on this issue: Americans consistently elect failures to the office of POTUS. Hell, if they elected FDR four times, and he created a depression worse than this one, I see no reason why they couldn't elect BHO 2x...
    The decade that led up to the Wall Street Crash of 1929 created the Great Depression. FDR wasn't elected until 1932. Way to get your history right.

It was New Deal and WWII spending that got us out of the depression. FDR's worst period was when, for a year, he started listening to more conservative advisers, and unemployment stopped going down.

Most historians put FDR somewhere in the top 3 Presidents. People like Jimmy Carter and George HW Bush are the kind of people that don't get re-elected, for a reason.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

House: I assume 'minimal at best' is your stiff upper lip British way of saying "no chance in hell."
    Chase: Actually, I'm Australian.
    House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    House: I assume 'minimal at best' is your stiff upper lip British way of saying "no chance in hell."
    Chase: Actually, I'm Australian.
    House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.
    You're a dag, House is a drongo.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Wow....... reasons why those of us north of the Lakes and 49N often keep our mouths shut.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think the original plan of the United States of America was to... well, unite all the States of America. However, the USA soon figured out that their northern neighbors were very scary and their southern neighbors were easy enough to push around, so that plan kind of fell through. And, I mean, no one's going to want to change the name now, so you'd better freaking suck it up. It's really only in English that people have the "problem" of denonyms, anyway, and if you hate it so much just call us Yankees, like the Dutch.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The decade that led up to the Wall Street Crash of 1929 created the Great Depression. FDR wasn't elected until 1932. Way to get your history right.

It was New Deal and WWII spending that got us out of the depression.
    This is why we are doomed to repeat the sad history of the 30s and 40s: Because people of your political persuasion (read: Obama) actually believe FDR "got us out of" the Great Depression rather than prolonging and exacerbating it.