User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 118

  1. #11
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Esp. since we got rid of all those extra-Frenchy "u" letters in words.
    There's a few words where the u comes in handy.

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    There's a few words where the u comes in handy.
    Not when a simple "o" suffices!

  3. #13
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    There are those who say American English is closer to the English spoken in England before Charles II Frenchified it.
    English is a heritage language. It inherited Ancient Greek and Latin and German, not to mention French.

    And English is so rich because it has inherited many other languages as well.

    And it is this rich inheritance that makes English irregular. And so English can only be understood from an historical perspective.

    And it is this historical perspective that the American revolutionary, Noah Webster, sought to eradicate from English.

    And it is this loss of historical perspective that led your President George W. Bush to say, "The French don't even have a word for entrepreneur".

  4. #14
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Indeed. We've managed to take phrases like "non sequitur" and turn them into an art form.

  5. #15
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Indeed. We've managed to take phrases like "non sequitur" and turn them into an art form.
    And it is the non sequitur that has given life to the segue.

  6. #16
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    I saw what you did there.

  7. #17
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    English is a heritage language. It inherited Ancient Greek and Latin and German, not to mention French.

    And English is so rich because it has inherited many other languages as well.

    And it is this rich inheritance that makes English irregular. And so English can only be understood from an historical perspective.

    And it is this historical perspective that the American revolutionary, Noah Webster, sought to eradicate from English.

    And it is this loss of historical perspective that led your President George W. Bush to say, "The French don't even have a word for entrepreneur".
    Thank you for holding us accountable by the actions of our dear beloved President.

    After all, we all bend over with anticipation as we dole out income taxes to fund projects without consent. Right?

    So which project do most of us cringe at? The War in Iraq? The War on Terror? The War on Drugs?

    Obama is a king who masquerades in tights like Robin Hood. But Obama isn't the least of our worries.

    Instead, we must focus on the nuances of "American Dialect"; though there is no accepted dialect.

    The individual assembles a vernacular from the brick and mortar of information. As information is distributed from all regions, we mediate between them.

    So why abolish "American", when Americans read Charles Dickens, J.R.R. Tolkein, and Robert Lewis Stevenson?

    I suspect it's because Americans don't read.

  8. #18
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Lightbulb God Save English.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Thank you for holding us accountable by the actions of our dear beloved President.

    After all, we all bend over with anticipation as we dole out income taxes to fund projects without consent. Right?

    So which project do most of us cringe at? The War in Iraq? The War on Terror? The War on Drugs?

    Obama is a king who masquerades in tights like Robin Hood. But Obama isn't the least of our worries.

    Instead, we must focus on the nuances of "American Dialect"; though there is no accepted dialect.

    The individual assembles a vernacular from the brick and mortar of information. As information is distributed from all regions, we mediate between them.

    So why abolish "American", when Americans read Charles Dickens, J.R.R. Tolkein, and Robert Lewis Stevenson?

    I suspect it's because Americans don't read.
    American English is like Esperanto. They are both spoken by large numbers but they have failed to take the world by storm.

    Esperanto is not on everyone's lips because it is not a natural language, but a manufactured language.

    And American English is not on the lips of every English speaker because it deliberately violates the historical nature of English, just as the American Revolution violated the rule of law.

    And American English is not on every English lip because it is also a manufactured language, flying under the flag of order and efficiency.

    Shakespearean English completely fails the test of order and efficiency, yet it is Shakespearean English we speak today.

    Yes, the Queen's English is in an unbroken line right back to Shakespeare, while American English sought to break our connection with the greatest writer in the Realm.

    Yes, Shakespearean English paid court to Elizabeth the First, while we play court to Elizabeth the Second, in the same natural English.

    God save the Queen.

    God save English and English will save us.

  9. #19
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    just as the American Revolution violated the rule of law.
    That's not what Edmund Burke argued in Parliament.

  10. #20
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Victor, since you live in Australia and since British English is, as you say, the internationally spoken version of English, what does all of this matter to you?

    You are the only modern person I know who is still carrying a grudge over the Amercian Revolution. I am in awe over it.

Similar Threads

  1. The not so appreciating bunny thread [split]
    By 5231311252 in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 03:52 PM
  2. [NT] NT women and femininity *thread split*
    By Zarathustra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM
  3. America Vs. Israel
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM
  4. 10/7 Obama vs. McCain debate thread.
    By ajblaise in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 11:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO