User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who misses Sona?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do! The forum's not as good with him gone!

17 36.96%
  • Not me! If that loser never comes back it'll be too soon!

13 28.26%
  • Who's Sona?

16 34.78%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    You know, rather than calling people trolls, you can always add those so-called "trolls" to that very convenient tool called the Ignore List.
    Yes.
    B. Malamud wrote the book Idiots First.
    Talleyrand and Metternicht had the same idea.

Open the door for the idiot and let him pass. Bow your head.
    Then you can say what you want. Even the truth.

He is not in your back.
    You are in his back.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Sona was entertaining in the sense of "the person everyone loves to hate". That post he had of his "people who are well liked" buddy list and "Random assorted people and economica" ignore list was quite funny.

He was also a great example of people calling someone a troll yet still feeding that person.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah I miss Sona, but I have this weird feeling he is having a good nap next to the underwear...

Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    We are not the world...
    tsk, tsk:

We are the world
    We are the children
    We are the ones who seek a brighter day
    so let's start giving!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    tsk, tsk:

We are the world
    We are the children
    We are the ones who seek a brighter day
    so let's start giving!
    Come, tie his body to my horse's tail;
    Along the field I will the Troll man trail.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Often I read about people into the MBTI saying how it helped them when they felt misunderstood by others. Some complain about living in a world with a majority of people with a drastically different personality type from them.

However, bring a bunch of these people together and they essentially act the same as any other group people. I.E. A bunch of N's give shit to Sensors just like Sensors apparently give shit to them.

There's a point at which it's the situation which explains people's behavior better than their individual personalities. Whenever a group of individuals forms, a norm is created which represents the culture and values of that group. No matter how openminded the people of that group are, opposing views that threaten the groups' values will eventually be singled out. This creates ironic situations, such as when for example a group of so called individualists gather together and start discriminating against non-individualists. An excellent example of this phenomenon is INTPcentral.

I think one should accept and *welcome* deviants and people who are opposite to current group norms. They disturb, but without this disturbance the group would eventually stay stuck in a rut. I admire the people in this thread who, even if they disagreed with Sona, do not disregard him. That shows true open-mindedness.

Such as:

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to call Sona a troll exactly. He wasn't very troll like, just very stubborn and defensive. I mean, he mostly stuck to his own threads and didn't populate the forums with inane comments. As "misguided" as his ideas were, they were at least defended with a certain amount of vigour. I don't miss him. But I don't think he's a loser and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't really care if he came back...even if some of his posts were disturbing.
    Excellent post.

In my experience, I have found that including these "deviant" members had a long term positive effect and was a good lesson of tolerance for everyone. Sona was not a troll, he only had very different opinions that disturbed members here who felt more comfortable kicking him out. As much as I disagreed with all of his ideas, I didn't mind him and was on the contrary curious to understand the reasoning behind these opinions which seemed so alien to me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    He wasn't treated the way he was because of his type, he was treated that way because he said completely ridiculous and offensive things either unintentionally or intentionally (I suspect a mix of both) to provoke people into arguing/getting upset.
    I agree. In my one and only encounter with him (not in one of his threads) he told me "Don't talk shit about your mother, that's retarded". In theory, we could have debated the content of that statement ('in theory' because I would have, uh, agreed to disagree from the onset); but his style motivated me to start this thread in which I argued that people should ignore his problematic posts regardless of his motivation in order to give him an incentive to improve. (Incidentally, I took the same attitude with Uberfuhrer a while back.)

The thread seemingly led to something of an epiphanic meltdown for him (see post #50) at least if one buys that he was sincere, but apparently ('apparently' since I didn't follow the aftermath, I just noticed he got banned some time after that) it was not enough... Maybe because people didn't stop feeding him , maybe because he was too far gone for easy correction.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

I've only been pleased to see one person banned....Sona wasn't it. I would be a sad if Uber was banned too though on more than one occasion I thought he deserved it. I think people are singled out though I disagree that it's based on being a Sensor alone especially in Sonas case. I guess I am somehow blind to this supposed Sensor conspiracy among us, most certainly with the long term members here. I think Athenian (though the post seems to have been erased in this thread) gave a good example. FWIW I think she is occasionally singled out and treated harshly for being a little different. It makes me angry sometimes but I've concluded it's not my business. I try to stay out of it and keep my fingers still (with the exception of today of course!) Anyway, she is clearly an N-type. Most all of the banishments have been done to N's though I suppose it could be a numbers thing. To answer the question though...yes I miss Sona a little bit.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Uber is by no means getting special treatment because he's an N. He's getting the same treatment Sona would have received if he had tried to temper his inflammatory behavior.

Pure and simple, Sona racked up 3 infractions in a short period of time and was unapologetic for any of them. In addition to that, he was monopolizing the forum and seemed to enjoy turning every thread into a "let's all react to Sona" thread.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    I've only been pleased to see one person banned....Sona wasn't it.
    Well, who was it then?
    Time is a delicate mistress.