User Tag List

12 Last

Phantonym

Default How computer savvy are you?

How comfortable are you with using a computer beyond the basic?

Are you more likely to ask for help if you're not familiar with something or do you like to look things up for yourself?

Are you looking forward to software upgrades or new releases and install them right away or are you more prone to get comfortable with programs and hesitate to change them?

What about hardware upgrades? Would you be willing to do them yourself or are you more comfortable with letting professionals or friends take care of that?

Anything else?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Well, I am actually very interested with that stuff. My desktop PC is put together by myself, the parts I have chosen alone. I am able to overclock, though I am not one of the guys who do it just for fun or for records, so I do it when there is need for it. I am giving advice to people who want to upgrade their hardware or build their own PC, and giving support for technical problems in my forum and to friends. I have fun with helping others with those things.

Experience and much, much time on PC teached me to usually find solutions for most problems, as you usually have always some case in mind with similar problems to recall. As it is a natural interest for me, it is not hard for me to learn about such things.

I am able to program some small stuff, I am studying business informatics atm and did one of my school leaving exams in informatics. I did not yet use my programming abilities for personal interests though, only a bit when it comes to homepages.

Instigator, First Class LovelyAngel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

How comfortable are you with using a computer beyond the basic?

My entire career has been as a computer professional, my Bachelor of Science degree is in Computer Science, and Iíve built hardware as well as written all sorts of software - from business systems down to the machine level. So... er... yeah... Iím pretty comfortable with using computers beyond basic stuff. (^_^)

Are you more likely to ask for help if you're not familiar with something or do you like to look things up for yourself?

Google is my friend.

Are you looking forward to software upgrades or new releases and install them right away or are you more prone to get comfortable with programs and hesitate to change them?

Actually, I donít like being on the leading edge of upgrades and releases. Iíve learned to let the early adopters shake out all the major bugs - and sometimes there are serious problems with new releases - so I just wait until things look stable.

New doesnít always mean better. And I tend to get the best out of any version of software Iím running; itís rare that Iím missing a function or feature so significant that I have to rush into the latest release.

What about hardware upgrades? Would you be willing to do them yourself or are you more comfortable with letting professionals or friends take care of that?

Iíve learned that I excel at a limited number of things. While I can do my own hardware work, I choose not to. My time is precious, and I let the pros do what theyíre good at Ė and fast at doing.
    "There is always something to do. There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don't expect you to save the world I do think it's not asking too much for you to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those whom you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect."
    -- Nikki Giovanni

Phantonym

^^ Cool. Thanks for the replies, Eckhart and LovelyAngel.

I mostly do only the basic stuff with my computer, so I've never really had the interest to get into it more deeply. Programming and such kind of bores me. I have done some simple HTML coding for a class once, but that's it.

I am comfortable with using a computer even if it's about something I'm not that familiar with. Computers don't scare me and I know that I can always find things out and when I screw anything up (*knocks on wood*), I can get it fixed. So, for me it's mostly about lack of interest rather than being afraid of not being capable of handling it. I know some people who are terrified of even starting to learn.

Google is my best friend as well.

With software upgrades and such, unfortunately I am incurably curious, so I sometimes install new programs and applications as soon as possible to make up my mind for myself. Fortunately, this hasn't resulted with problems. I haven't blown up a computer or anything...yet.

But I can also wait for the longest time to renew anything. If it works, it works, until I get bored and start to get itchy fingers and only a new toy can relieve that.

Hardware upgrades I'd rather leave to the professionals. When I used to have a desktop, I did upgrade the memory chip/thingy myself. But that was a one-time occurrence. With laptops, I'd rather buy a new one than bother with the upgrades.

MBTI
    INTP

At one point in my life I was considering majoring in computer science or computer information systems. I have always been good with computers, and have found them interesting. For example, when I was in elementary school I taught myself the basics of QBASIC on the family's PC. I can also set up hardware but it's been a while since I built a computer from the ground up. (These days everything is plug and play anyway.)

However, I didn't major in computers, and so at this point in my life, other things are higher on my priority list. Now, I use computers mainly as a tool. I can still do some neat things with software, that others might not know was possible, but overall I am no expert. I'm also finding that software is incredibly annoying. It's full of bugs and working within the confines of some other programmer's efforts is very limiting.

It's interesting to note that over the years I've gravitated back in that direction, this time coming from the opposite direction -- rather than working directly with PC components and software, I'm becoming more interested in materials science and the related engineering disciplines. That is, the components themselves, transistors etc.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

I am a computer.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I've done it all with computers, loved every moment, and look forward to more.

They are great toys to tinker with.

Anything is possible with some good hardware and the right combination of 1's and 0's.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTP

I am good with computers. I did lots of computer science courses. Of course, I abhorred programming, but this didn't prevent me from learning as much as I can.

I don't like to have others mess with my computer. I know more than the basics and I can do hardware updates, software updates, whatever the case is. I don't particularly enjoy this though. It's time consuming and tiring, imo. But it's comforting to know that I don't depend on others to do this stuff.

Although with hardware, I usually let professionals handle it as I don't have all the necessary tools. Never with software.

As to updates, usually I follow the principle "If it ain't broken, why fix it?". I don't want to change some software and then realize I have to spend hours fixing my computer.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

When people start to call you to fix their computer that's when you know you chose foolishly. Stay computer illiterate!

garbage

I've been programming since I was six years old. It was a great escape from everything that was going on around me, and it was a chance to be creative. Specifically, I've been mostly into video game design this entire time, which ended up leading to a career where I focus mostly on artificial intelligence, training, simulation, and their psychological components. Although I focus less on the programming itself than I used to, there are many aspects of it that I still enjoy.

My coursework has had a lot of electrical and computer engineering, as well as computer science.

My computer is littered with little scripts and programs that I've written to make life easier for myself. On the job and in my personal life, I always try to find ways to automate tedious processes. It's amazing what you can do with Perl and a little bit of creativity..

I know my way around hardware and IT as well. I can do it when I'm called on to do it, but I prefer to leave that to others when I can. Nowadays, I rely on my ability to "speak the language" to others, so to speak.

I built my last computer but decided to buy my current one. I don't have the patience for it anymore, but I could probably do it if I had to.

In summary: I'm pretty computer-savvy but burned out on it