ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm a l33t h4x0r.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I tried to fool myself into thinking I'd like to work with computers for a major a month or so ago, but in reality I find all the 'real' computer stuff generally boring and can't hold my attention, like most things. So I stay ignorant for the most part.

I like you real computer people, though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

How comfortable are you with using a computer beyond the basic?

I have a bachelors and masters in computer science. I was a programmer for several years. So pretty comfortable I guess.

Are you more likely to ask for help if you're not familiar with something or do you like to look things up for yourself?

Probably look it up myself. However, I don't like spending a lot of time on this kind of stuff anymore.

Are you looking forward to software upgrades or new releases and install them right away or are you more prone to get comfortable with programs and hesitate to change them?

I'm excited about some new things - Google Wave for instance. I generally don't get all enthusiastic about new releases. A good example would be Office 2007 - I still can't find where things are at times.

What about hardware upgrades? Would you be willing to do them yourself or are you more comfortable with letting professionals or friends take care of that?

I've used to do a lot of this myself before. Now, I generally buy a higher end machine and then keep it for a while so no upgrades are needed (for what I do). If I were to do a hardware upgrade, I'd likely have "the Geek Squad" to do it.

Anything else?

Next computer will be a Mac

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Very. I'm going for a major in Computer Sciences, and currently I'm working as a Software Developer and also as a Indie Game Developer. On my free-time I do some coding too.

Are you more likely to ask for help if you're not familiar with something or do you like to look things up for yourself?
    Masters Google and Wikipedia have taught me everything I know. And I know a lot. Sometimes I even have this urge to find more details about some specific event or person, and that's when I dive into Wikipedia. Sometimes I can spent hours just reading wikipedia articles of random topics.

Are you looking forward to software upgrades or new releases and install them right away or are you more prone to get comfortable with programs and hesitate to change them?
    Nah... no need to fix what ain't broken. I still have WinXP on my main computer, and it will do for now.

What about hardware upgrades? Would you be willing to do them yourself or are you more comfortable with letting professionals or friends take care of that?
    I have been lucky enough not having to upgrade my computer a lot lately. It's always so exciting to do it, but very frustrating to search for new parts. You never know if model XZ-5004 is going to be better than model TT-22X or not. But nothing beats the feeling of increased frame rate in your favorite game.

Anything else?
    Computer/internet is one of the greatest inventions of man. It's in the same league as fire, wheel and electricity. Everyone should learn how to use one.

To answer the quesion: I am very computer savvy person.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I'm fairly computer savvy. If there's an issue, i will search on how to fix it and attempt to myself. That doesn't mean i know exactly what i am doing, but can maneuver pretty well.
    If i'm stuck, i have no issue asking a more knowledgeable person and following their directions.

Not too big on software or hardware upgrades. That's where i just do a smart female trick and befriend a number of people who are more computer savvy than i am . They'll inform me of what i should/shouldn't do/get and i'll determine how much of a necessity it is.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

This thread isn't looking for advice in dealing with NTs, right?

Fairly comfortable. At least if something is broken, I want to make sure that I have at least some knowledge of what went wrong and how to fix it. I don't know if I could build computer on my own with the necessary parts, but I really want to do more it than just writing texts and internet browsing, so I'm willing to invest some time in the more technical stuff.

Trying to find it out for myself first, and if nothing else works, ask someone else. Internet sites, especially forums, are a great resource in that respect (which makes problems that cause you to lose your internet connection even worse). Asking someone else is no problem either. If I get stuck, I'd rather talk to someone for fifteen minutes than waste five hours on a fruitless attempt to fix it myself. (And yes, computer problems really freak me out. They're one of the few things that can get me out of my laziness.)

It depends. When programs work well, I usually don't want to change them. Backward compatibility is an important thing to me, given that I'm an avid retro gamer. Plus a lot of changes usually don't make it better, but only different, and often forget to improve the really important issues.
    To be honest, I'm usually a bit skeptical towards installing new software, at least if it can't be uninstalled without too much trouble. Computers are one of the few things where I think that "newer is not always better". New software products keep coming out because companies want to make money, not because the old ones are bad.
    However, it's really awesome to witness the change in computer technology. It only would be nice if having an up-to-date system wouldn't be so expensive.

Almost always done them myself (installing drives, RAM, graphics cards etc.). I think almost anyone can do that because computers there's often only one solution. If you don't use excessive force to insert new parts etc., the worst thing that can usually happen is that new stuff just won't work until you experiment a bit.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I know the ins and outs and have the skillset to find out anything I need to know in a small amount of time, there is nothing I can not do once I set my mind on it. And I didn't need to study like some others to understand 1's and 0's.

Ask for help? Nah, I want to understand what I'm doing, when I'm in some form of programming knot, I want to get out of it myself. Besides, I love puzzling. I've not met a problem I could not deal with myself.

I only care about stuff if it works well or not. Most new software are prone to bugs and compatibility and stability issues. So in that sense, I am always careful to wait a week or two at least to see what the world community has to say about the software.

I've always built my own pc's and for a small time I've had a small business where I sold pc's that I put together myself. There was a time when this was still profitable. Nowadays not so much. I'm familiar with computer parts.

Anything else?

I don't like 'user-friendly' stuff.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf