User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Minimal training for maximum pay-off

What types of training requires a minimum time investment to greatest financial return? I'm looking into developing an avocation, and thought I should research it. I'm most interested in training programs which take 1-2 years resulting in 20-30K yearly income. These can post-baccalaureate programs. What options do you know about?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

what are you good at, and where do your passions lie? Also, what do you understand by vocation? Career or a calling?

In terms of career (folks, please disagree): short of starting your own business and becoming wildly successful, finance, consulting, law, medicine typically pay the best. Of course, you could also try do what this girl does: 25 Year-Old Beauty Seeks Rich Banker - The Comeback :: Business News :: Here Is The City News :: The Latest Business & Financial Markets News And Views

if you need more info on finance and consulting, check out www.vault.com or :: Here Is The City :: - they'll give indicative starting salaries, interview tips, insights into firm culture etc too.

In terms of vocation, I'd think teaching is one profession immune to economic cycles, and should give that minimum are looking for?

Some words from an old birdie in the workforce. . If you're interested in something, learning it would likely come easier, hence reduce the time. And passion for something and discipline to do well would keep you going through the hard times.

In the short term, learning something and getting into the workforce quickly may seem to bring the greater reward, but in the longer term, that is an open question? Things of value do take time to build, methinks. .

Money is one motivator for working, definitely, but if you do not like what you're doing, it could become golden handcuffs at the end of the day. Keep in mind this'll be something you'd spend half your life on, so choose wisely, yea?

hope that helps.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Could you get an MFA and teach music appreciation in a community college setting? I really loved being at a community college and for a time planned to teach English in one. (Might still.) You get much of the payoff of teaching at the college level, without the pressure to publish and stuff like that.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    what are you good at, and where do your passions lie? Also, what do you understand by vocation? Career or a calling?
    I have training out the wazoo, but the most i have ever made in a year is 20K when i was fortunate enough to be a half-time professor for a couple of years. I have been wracking my brain since graduation from my professional vantage point, so i started these threads in an attempt to glean info from a blank slate to see if there are options i can't see from where i stand.

I did teach Music Appreciation at a community college for a few years. I was close to half time in that load as well earning a whopping 5K a year. Even those jobs are scarce. Some community college jobs pay very well. It's the luck of the draw.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

All I can think of is trades, you start working pretty much from day one and your pay tends to go up after each term of schoo you do (usually 1-2 months each). But I don't thing that would interest you.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I did teach Music Appreciation at a community college for a few years. I was close to half time in that load as well earning a whopping 5K a year. Even those jobs are scarce. Some community college jobs pay very well. It's the luck of the draw.
    Well, that blows. Now I'm mad.

My mother keeps trying to get my brother to enter this program at a local school that teaches people to craft dental crowns and such. It is supposed to be a pretty lucrative trade, although it sounds super-boring to me.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Well, that blows. Now I'm mad.
    There are some community college gigs that pay very well. You may be in a better position than me. In music they usually hire a band person, choir person and piano person. I'm an odd-ball in that respect.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    There are some community college gigs that pay very well. You may be in a better position than me. In music they usually hire a band person, choir person and piano person. I'm an odd-ball in that respect.
    I'm mad for you! And for the awesome music appreciation teacher I had who may not have made as much as he deserved.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I've heard being a hair stylist can pay pretty well. The training doesn't take a real long time and it doesn't have to be super expensive. I don't like touching people and I have poor dexterity or I would seriously consider doing it myself.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Heh the job that comes to mind is professional truck driver. I don't think it requires too much training and you can make a ton of money. As an added bonus you can live in your truck to cut down on expenses. There are several truckers who have retired in their 40's doing this.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com