User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm a big fan of Michel Thomas. It's like the opposite of learning in school.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

I speak 5 languages and I find the easiest way for me to remember a language is talking in it out loud. When I'm by myself I just monologue in Irish or Arabic and it keeps me fluent.

My dog now also responds to commands in Irish. It's pretty funny.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I took four years of Spanish in highschool and found myself getting distracted by the underlying structures of the language and their origin. As a result, I never really attained fluency but I could certainly tell you the word for squirrel and it's origin in Latin.

Lately, I've found that my Spanish skills are getting more fluid now because I have to sell cellphones to Spanish speakers. I conversed with a guy for about 10-15 minutes the other day. Granted, I really can't say that much but I certainly have "En que puedo servirles" and "Ha usted venido para pagar su cuenta?" down. :P
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I think the best way to learn a language is to live amongst the native speakers. As a Canadian, I have had years of schooling in French as a second language. None of it sunk in until I moved to a French speaking city. I am more fluent now, just through interactions with French-only speakers, than I ever was in highschool.

Even though my neighbour hates me and put an anti-English sticker on her door. Grrr.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Even though my neighbour hates me and put an anti-English sticker on her door. Grrr.
    I could always come by for a visit and uh kick her door down...

Always wanted to visit canada...just needed a reason...door kicking sounds good.

But yeah in regards to the OP, Michel Thomas is the way to go.
    SDMF

MBTI
    ENTJ

Always wanted to visit canada...just needed a reason...door kicking sounds good.
    She's nuts, and all of us neighbours know it, French and/or English. She refused to speak to me the other day because I failed to say the word "bag" in French. I wouldn't care if she didn't have a fairly awesome-seeming 8ish year old daughter. She always looks ashamed when her mom is going off on someone. Ugh.

You should visit Canada. We're very lax here. And the strip clubs are awesome.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I do here its great for a relaxing vacation...like ive heard no one locks their doors in most places?! WTF?! No seriously, that just doesnt happen in Houston Texas!

And yeah I just dont get the arrogance of some people...and im pretty arrogant...from what I hear
    SDMF

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I've been considering learning (Quebec) french for a while now. I stopped taking formal french lessons at school two years ago because I wanted to accomodate other classes, but I've always, in the back of my mind, wanted to learn french.

But is there an effective, preferable free, way to learn a language without taking formal lessons?

I've heard of people learning to read, write, and speak english using these techniques with good results.

-Watching TV or DVD's (i.e. setting the language setting on a favourite DVD to whatever language you want to learn, or watching a TV channel in the language you want to learn, a little bit each day (30 minutes)

-Reading articles (i.e. reading an online newspaper or blog in the desired language daily). Once skills improve, reading a short story or novel could be beneficial.

-Joining message boards/forums (but only once you can actually write decent sentances. This would get a lot of practice if its a topic you enjoy)

-Setting the language setting on a video game to the desired language (only really helps if the game has a good amount of writing in it and if you enjoy the game).

-Listning to music in the desired language

What are your opinions on these techniques? What do you think the best way to learn a language is?

If I can find an interesting, fun way to gradually learn french, I'll probably do it.
    the BEST WAY TO LEARN A LANGUAGE IS TO THINK IN THAT LANGUAGE. thats how i learned ENGLISH in 1 year. was really hard at 1st.

and there are many advantages-

you dont have to talk to any1 to improve it. and it is highly unlikely that you will find someone who speaks the language so much that you could improve it. and you will not even find time to do so.