User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    yeah- I can even pronounce Sao Paulo correctly now! (it took a lot of getting made fun of to be able to speak the language correctly!)

Czech though- THAT sounds like a signifigantly more difficult language? why did you pick that?

Well, I was told that Czech was a very straight forward language to learn - no contractions, very formal - and I thought I'd give it a whirl. It wasn't until I was in it up to my wee eyeballs that I realized all Slavonic languages ( with 7 noun tenses alone) are designed to make us crazy. But, it has been interesting to learn, and strangely, I find it lovely to listen to. You would think it might sound harsh or guttural, but it's actually quite fluid and soft.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I find that immersion with someone who speaks it natively is best for me and I also tend to pick up accents with it. It's strange...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I find that immersion with someone who speaks it natively is best for me and I also tend to pick up accents with it. It's strange...

When Pink and I came home from school in Ireland, our accents were so crazy, it was laughable. It took months and months to iron it back out, and even years later, I still catch myself saying things that must sound so ridiculous coming out of my mouth.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    When Pink and I came home from school in Ireland, our accents were so crazy, it was laughable. It took months and months to iron it back out, and even years later, I still catch myself saying things that must sound so ridiculous coming out of my mouth.
    Yup, that sounds about right.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Yup, that sounds about right.
    We're easily impressionable souls.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    We're easily impressionable souls.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    infp

Mes cousins sont tres couramment en français, ils sont, d'Ottawa, et leur mère est quebecoise. Je pourrais essayer de parler avec elles. Merci pour les encouragements!

I used Google translator

I started last night by reading some simple things, like newspaper articles from La Soleil in Quebec City, and reading about various products on the Futureshop website in french :P I was suprised how well I understood it. Reading Wikipedia in french would be good too, because it generally has fairly simple, concise language, and I'd be able to read about topics I'm kind of familiar with to get the hang of it.

So what do you reccomend to learn how to write? Should I find a message board in french for people learning french or something?

EDIT - Am I tripping balls or did Substitute not post something in french that now seems to be missing...

MBTI
    ENTP

No, I did, it's still there... you're tripping!!!

I can tell that was a Google translator job lol it's translated every word directly from English word for word, heh, but I can understand it perfectly

Yeah there are chat rooms like Quebec-francais Portail where you can chat, read and listen. Chat rooms are great for practice cos it's speeding your comprehension and composition up like in speech, but in text too so it improves everything except pronunciation, but try saying things as you type them. Or if you listen to the radio staions that webcast as you're chat-rooming, and occasionally repeat things you hear to try the pronunciation. Radio Courtoisie is a good station with plenty of talking on it - many others are largely English music with little actual talking.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Oh yes, that happens to me, too. I'm generally pretty good at mimicing any accent I hear - but I tend to adopt bits of it as my own. So this means my accent is a bit of everything and nothing. (I've been told I sound British, South African, American and Australian. Mostly Australian, though. Someone was even unsure if I was from New Zealand, once! ^^) Thankfully the only place I've spent a prolonged period of time overseas was in Germany, so it doesn't spill over into English, but apparently my German accent is really good... I just give away my foreign-ness by having really dodgy grammar. :P
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Oh yes, that happens to me, too. I'm generally pretty good at mimicing any accent I hear - but I tend to adopt bits of it as my own. So this means my accent is a bit of everything and nothing. (I've been told I sound British, South African, American and Australian. Mostly Australian, though. Someone was even unsure if I was from New Zealand, once! ^^) Thankfully the only place I've spent a prolonged period of time overseas was in Germany, so it doesn't spill over into English, but apparently my German accent is really good... I just give away my foreign-ness by having really dodgy grammar. :P
    Your use of German reminds me of my use of French when I was taking it in school - my French teachers loved me

I have, however been out of practice for almost 9 years so my comprehension is likely down the tubes right now.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]