User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 71

  1. #21
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    It could also influence learning style.

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Well I obviously didn't mean they had good command of languages that they don't speak! I imagine if they took the time to learn other languages, they'd probably be good at those too.

    "Good command of language" = natural affinity for learning and expressing language. It doesn't mean they're supposed to be good at languages they're totally unfamiliar with, just that they pick up and use language more effectively than most people.
    You obviously didn't mean they had good command of languages that they don't speak? There's nothing obvious about what you said. You obviously have the mindset that "language" = English. I have no reason to assume that you did not mean they have an affinity for picking up other languages. Actually, I've noticed in my personal frame of reference that many multi-lingual Americans are probably NTs. I also know an extremely articulate INFJ who excels at English, and is in fact currently pursuing a degree in English at the Master's level, who completely resisted learning and speaking French although that was her chosen second language for her B.A. requirement.

    I don't think command of language in general is a type thing. I do, however, agree that many English-speaking INFJs are quite articulate.

  3. #23
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    If you're smart & interested, you'll learn languages quickly. I don't know how type could play a part, except perhaps influencing the level of interest (perhaps feeling types are more interested in connecting with people, which requires language knowledge).
    I think Ni, Ne, and Ti seem really interested in language because it's a neat hypothetical system that you can take apart and analyze.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #24
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I think Ni, Ne, and Ti seem really interested in language because it's a neat hypothetical system that you can take apart and analyze.
    Thus xNTPs should be the best-versed types, as far as language goes.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  5. #25
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Actually, I've noticed in my personal frame of reference that many multi-lingual Americans are probably NTs. I also know an extremely articulate INFJ who excels at English, and is in fact currently pursuing a degree in English at the Master's level, who completely resisted learning and speaking French although that was her chosen second language for her B.A. requirement.
    It could have been her questioning her own competence to speak French or even the fact she wasn't immersed in a French-speaking enviroment. I know it's a pain to try to speak another language off the bat when still immersed in an English-speaking enviroment.

  6. #26
    . Blank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    i m goode speeler.

    i alsow lern otherr laingwage two. Japaneez. its not that hard too me.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

    -----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It could have been her questioning her own competence to speak French or even the fact she wasn't immersed in a French-speaking enviroment. I know it's a pain to try to speak another language off the bat when still immersed in an English-speaking enviroment.
    Well, she speaks English beautifully - even pretentiously at times - but she refused to speak French even during meetings of Le Circle Francais because "it wasn't necessary." I wanted to smack her, but that's another story.

    I agree that it's intimidating to speak another language, especially whilst surrounded by those who are fluent. Very.

  8. #28
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You obviously didn't mean they had good command of languages that they don't speak? There's nothing obvious about what you said. You obviously have the mindset that "language" = English. I have no reason to assume that you did not mean they have an affinity for picking up other languages. Actually, I've noticed in my personal frame of reference that many multi-lingual Americans are probably NTs. I also know an extremely articulate INFJ who excels at English, and is in fact currently pursuing a degree in English at the Master's level, who completely resisted learning and speaking French although that was her chosen second language for her B.A. requirement.

    I don't think command of language in general is a type thing. I do, however, agree that many English-speaking INFJs are quite articulate.
    It seems a pretty reasonable assumption that if someone picks up one language quickly and uses it articulately, he'll probably do better than most people at learning other languages because similar skills will be involved.

    I was saying that INFJs seem good at the skills involved in learning and applying language, regardless of which language they're using.

    I consider you, for instance, to have good command of language, and that would not change based on whether or not you speak another language. Maybe you do, maybe you don't, but your English abilities show that you have talent for the skills involved in learning and applying language.

    You are good enough at niTpIcking to earn an honorary Ti badge though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    i m goode speeler.
    I.M. Goode Speeler? I love that guy!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #29
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well, she speaks English beautifully - even pretentiously at times - but she refused to speak French even during meetings of Le Circle Francais because "it wasn't necessary." I wanted to smack her, but that's another story.

    I agree that it's intimidating to speak another language, especially whilst surrounded by those who are fluent. Very.
    Well those are just my speculations. I know at one French group I often don't say much, but that's because of a combination of me being shy and knowing only a little French. Certainly if I knew more, I'd probably say more.

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    It seems a pretty reasonable assumption that if someone picks up one language quickly and uses it articulately, he'll probably do better than most people at learning other languages because similar skills will be involved.
    Yes, I do see your point, but of course there is a difference between people who are good at following grammatical rules and people who have "an ear" for picking up spoken languages. Some people have both, but it can also be one or the other...or neither.

    I was saying that INFJs seem good at the skills involved in learning and applying language, regardless of which language they're using.
    Languages are so diverse, though, various alphabets, different structures...you even move your mouth in a strange way and make different basic sounds. For example, it's easier for English speaking people to learn German, and for those who already speak French to pick up Spanish. English has something called a dipthong. Many European languages assign gender to everything. In Slavic languages you can actually change the word order! It's all more complex than it initially appears...

    I consider you, for instance, to have good command of language, and that would not change based on whether or not you speak another language. Maybe you do, maybe you don't, but your English abilities show that you have talent for the skills involved in learning and applying language.

    You are good enough at niTpIcking to earn an honorary Ti badge though.
    I'll take that as a compliment coming from you. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] Correlation Between StrengthsFinder and Enneagram Type
    By highlander in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
  2. Avatars & Animars : Correlation between type ?
    By Thursday in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-07-2016, 01:53 PM
  3. Correlation between shoes and MBTI
    By JustDave in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 12:38 PM
  4. Correlation between Longetivity and Personality Type
    By JustDave in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 01:21 PM
  5. Is there a correlation between type and military enlistment?
    By Cindyrella in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 10:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO