User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Fi to me personally is feeling that is introverted.
    I just kinda became aware that your avatar has a beard. Primate beards. cool.

garbage

Nobody should ever attempt to describe Fi, in any terms whatsoever, lest it turn into some terrible 40-page abomination where everyone ends up having to drag their damn dictionaries out and try to agree on definitions of words like "the" and "it"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    ISTp

Contributing... cats.
    Everyone is unique. ...Just like everyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video Challenge

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Nobody should ever attempt to describe Fi, in any terms whatsoever, lest it turn into some terrible 40-page abomination where everyone ends up having to drag their damn dictionaries out and try to agree on definitions of words like "the" and "it"
    Oh good lord, its ineffable holiness is inscrutable and ought never to be given to the sordid human tongue; just like Allah himself ought never to be pictorially represented! But againm there is merit to your view from a scholarly standpoint. The minds of our posters have been debauched by folk typology and when they comment on Fi or any other function, they inevitably describe themselves or people whom they know. Much of this has almost nothing to do with the study of temperaments or universal human cognitive tendencies.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Threads that actually discuss Fi don't become popular. They disintegrate into jokes or debates over something not related to a cognitive function (although people certainly strive hard to make some connection between Fi and the tendency to wear red hats, or whatever).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Oh good lord, its ineffable holiness is inscrutable and ought never to be given to the sordid human tongue; just like Allah himself ought never to be pictorially represented! But againm there is merit to your view from a scholarly standpoint. The minds of our posters have been debauched by folk typology and when they comment on Fi or any other function, they inevitably describe themselves or people whom they know. Much of this has almost nothing to do with the study of temperaments or universal human cognitive tendencies.
    Haha, I hope you knew that my post was mostly sarcastic. The only part that wasn't sarcastic is the implication that the endless Fi threads have mostly been pointless and unproductive. And I think that implication is in line with your view here, with your explanation of exactly why the discussions are pointless and unproductive.

There is, however, some merit to discussing how aspects of a theory can be applied to everyday life. Many use typology as a tool for self-discovery and understanding other people, and so describing themselves or other people as they may relate to the theory is almost inevitable.

But that sort of discussion should not be confused with the study and creation of a logically sound typology system, defining the functions in a meaningful and accurate way, and so on. I leave that to people like you, Magic, Eric B, and others who have a knack for that sort of thing.

What I believe you're calling "folk typology" is still useful, but only on a very shallow level and for very limited purposes. If it is taken deeper than it 'should' be, it is worse than useless; it is inaccurate and therefore misleading.

However, I find it hard to believe that the application of the theory has little to do with the theory. If a typology theory's descriptions are not intended to be in line with observations or with descriptions of individuals and their cognitive processes, then it is merely a logical exercise with little or no practical merit.

So we have the theory itself and its application as domains of discussion, and, clearly, many will turn their focus toward one or the other.

Unfortunately, I don't expect everyone to believe that the domain that does not concern them actually has merit, nor do I expect to convince everyone that internal consistency of a theory isn't the only meaningful goal.

My first guess as to how this concerns Fi is that the function is difficult to describe in satisfactory terms on a purely theoretical level. This is not to say that such a description is impossible, that it should not be attempted, or that Fi is 'sacred ground', however.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Threads that actually discuss Fi don't become popular. They disintegrate into jokes or debates over something not related to a cognitive function (although people certainly strive hard to make some connection between Fi and the tendency to wear red hats, or whatever).
    your Fi is lawful neutral isn't it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    your Fi is lawful neutral isn't it?
    I have no idea...outside of these little cutesy examples, I don't really know what those terms mean.... I can say that I am not a fan of "laws" as they usually are narrow rules and inflexible.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Attention K-Mart shoppers.