• No, and I am N.

25 36.76%
  • No, and I am S.

6 8.82%
First 3456 Last

Thread: Are you happy?

MBTI
    INTJ

I would be interested to see this broken down by personality type, or even I/E. I think there would probably be a more apparent connection.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would be interested to see this broken down by personality type, or even I/E. I think there would probably be a more apparent connection.
    Connection to what? That personality types who visit this forum are happy or not?

Happiness is due to individual circumstances and so on. Personally, I'm having a hard time connecting it to anything type related.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Connection to what? That personality types who visit this forum are happy or not?
    Connection between "happiness" and personality type?

As un-idealistic as it is, happiness and personality are probably both related to brain chemistry. Not to mention the obvious shared difficulties/successes of certain types as they fit in to society/social life. I can hardly look at this forum without noticing general trends (although, yes, it could be because of other factors).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

As un-idealistic as it is, happiness and personality are probably both related to brain chemistry. Not to mention the obvious shared difficulties/successes of certain types as they fit in to society/social life. I can hardly look at this forum without noticing general trends (although, yes, it could be because of other factors).
    I thought that happiness and personality were both circumstantial. I realize that chemical levels in the brain being upset can result in depression, but I think most of time when people are "sad" it is not depression. So for most people it would be their experiences that produce either the feeling of happiness or unhappiness.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Phantonym

Yes, of course, I do notice the "general trends" here as well. But still, happiness or unhappiness are not things that are constant in people's lives. There could be any number of reasons why one can consider themselves either happy, unhappy or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    So for most people it would be their experiences that produce either the feeling of happiness or unhappiness.
    Yes, exactly, that's my take on it as well.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    I thought that happiness and personality were both circumstantial. I realize that chemical levels in the brain being upset can result in depression, but I think most of time when people are "sad" it is not depression. So for most people it would be their experiences that produce either the feeling of happiness or unhappiness.
    I don't think personality is just circumstantial. Even if it were, the similarities between thought processes would be bound to have some kind of effect. I do agree that circumstances have a huge impact on happiness, or lack of, but I think that due to differences in interpretation, it would take more/different things for some types to be happy than others.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by am_i_evil666 View Post
    Wow. It actually seems that most people are happy.
    Maybe I am in the pits of darkness and can't see the light, but I don't feel happy. Curiously, I thought that there weren't too many happy people in general....

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Yes, and I'm an N.

Although today was a heap of crap, and it's only Monday.
    One of the fire doors slammed on my right index finger, fracturing the intermediate phalange. I'm typing with my left hand and right pinky. Lost my lunch card, costing me 9 to get a new one. I have 21 to last me two weeks, and I just got a letter saying I haven't paid for my TV licience, when I have. So now I have to chase some people down, telling them they have me all wrong.

But that's just subject matter. All of which can be solved. I'm in a fortunate disposition, I have a university degree that I love, a girlfriend, decent parents and a constant source of internet. Life is good. I find it hard to let things bring me down. Whenever something bad happens, I always see it from a comical perspective; I laughed at the fact a fire door caused my finger to fracture, when they are specifically designed to protect me from harm. The codeine may have had some influence, as well.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

I was happy till I saw that Avatar.

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Not yet.....
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.