User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: facebook?

Default facebook?

so I set up a facebook account like eight months ago. I kept getting all these invites but I didnt log back in until two weeks ago. I accepted the invites, slapped some pictures up, and played for a few days, and now...well... I am just sort of bored with it.

It seems like an endless exchange of pleasantries and "hey girl, what's up?" and "wow you look hot in that dress" and "I am out drinking with the guys tonight".

Know I dont want to knock facebook, as this is likely just me as I am kind of odd, but what is the appeal? Have I missed the magic??? Is this my lack of Fe???

(I am at the point of posting a poem spread across all my "friends" walls so that the only way you can read the whole thing is to be friends with all of my friends. I logged off at this pointas my crazy could be infectious.)

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

Helps me keep track of all 7 of my friends and what they're up to so I don't have to call them.

So I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    It seems like an endless exchange of pleasantries and "hey girl, what's up?" and "wow you look hot in that dress" and "I am out drinking with the guys tonight".
    yeah, that's pretty much it.

it's a nice way to keep in touch with some old friends for me as well.. but then, i don't really end up hanging out with them again... and.. there's probably a reason why we lost touch in the first place. it ends up we're just numbers added to our friend lists.

there's also some people i didn't know well, but got to know better.. but.. if they're too distant, then it's just sort of an "internet friendship", and i'm not good at that. it's better if they live closer, and we end up doing something together.

12 and a half weeks Array BerberElla's Avatar
    MBTI
    infp

I played bejeweled all the time over there, which is my main reason for even logging in half the time, because I'm bored lol.

It's a great way at keeping relationships at a more impersonal level too, facebook friends get the occasional comment on their status, that way I can stay in contact without staying in contact, and real friends get txt messages and phone calls if I'm up for it.

It took me awhile to realise that facebook could be useful in that way, before that it lay unused like my myspace account did.

I also found some lost family members recently on there, so again it's good for that.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    ISTp

I used to use it for playing games and as a photo album for the school trip I had since there are friends on there too, making it sharing of those photos much easier.

Now I hardly go on there, maybe once every few weeks or so, sometimes sharing funny videos links.
    Everyone is unique. ...Just like everyone else.

Video Challenge

Not Your Therapist Array Sinmara's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    Sounds like you just know boring people.

I like it because it gives me a way to keep in touch with people. You're able to make little updates on the go, you can make announcements to everyone or start a discussion about something, etc.

It's more fun when you've friended a lot of people and you have lots of interaction going on.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    It's a great way at keeping relationships at a more impersonal level too, facebook friends get the occasional comment on their status, that way I can stay in contact without staying in contact, and real friends get txt messages and phone calls if I'm up for it.
    Oh, man.. it's great for this reason. I couldn't quite put it into words, but you have done so gracefully.

A phone call takes place between two and only two people. It's more intimate. It's hard to be surface-level with such a medium. This is a disadvantage because, quite often, we want to maintain a "relatively far" psychological distance with certain people, but not far enough to completely disassociate with them. With most modes of communication, it's an "all-or-nothing" dynamic; you're either associated with the person, or you are not.

With social networking sites, however, you only expect surface-level interaction with people. We all put out our little status updates--some more personal than others--and expect those who wish to pay attention to do so.

Despite this, my Facebook page is probably more revealing than most. For example, I've got my religious and political views listed, and they don't jive with the majority here. In some stupid way, it's a form of honest self-expression.

My status updates, however, are often less personal. I try my best to be creative and interesting with everyday events or observations--e.g. spinning a trip to Bojangles into a tongue-in-cheek moral lesson--because I like to express myself in that way and I know that most people on my list of friends wouldn't care simply that I went to Bojangles. ..at least, I don't particularly care if they have, so I assume that's reciprocal.

For that matter, I tend to hide people who are uninteresting or annoying with their updates, but I still maintain that 'friend' connection if I've got even the loosest association with them.

People say that social networking sites kill social interaction. I wholeheartedly disagree. All they do is allow us to maintain the sort of distance--close or far or anywhere in between--that is desired or necessary, rather than forcing everyone into constant conversation as most mediums do. For those we care most about, we still have our phones and, well, the option to meet in person.

Not only that, but Facebook is also great at cluing you in about local events. Organizations and friends put on their events and invite you to them via Facebook. If you're in a group that is composed of, say, people in your town who are into dancing, then local dancing events can be shared. It's great for that sort of thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

facebook is there to establish a 24/7 "hey man havent seen you since high school" conversation with people you never really liked in the first place.
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    INFP

Facebook, I've learned, is a great way to share photos, news and updates with your family -- the ones that actually give a care. As for friends, it just keeps the line of communication uncomfortably open.

Twerking & Lurking Array ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I like it mostly, but sometimes it just depresses me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.